Goodbye Jesus

Wow

Biggles7268

this video sure gives you some perspective doesn't it

Really cool. Thanks Biggles.

That actually gave me goosebumps and made my eyes water up. Something that hasn't happened in years.

And what's that song that kid was lip synching? It was popular here a couple of years ago. Cheesy but catchy.

this video sure gives you some perspective doesn't it

Thanks for the post, Biggles! Dis iz som goood chit mon! :woohoo:

After I watched this video, I went to Tony Darnell's YouTube page and watched his other videos. Since I have always had a keen interest in astronomy, Tony's stuff is of interest to me. Plus, from what little I have seen of his narratives and Vblogs, I think he has a very good sense of humor and I enjoy watching and listening to his work. :3:

He also has website and blogs some HERE. Thanks again for the post! :thanks:

Good timing. I watched Naked Scientist yesterday on TV and the story about Big Bang and the Universe. They had these pictures in there too, and agree, goosebumps and teared eyes...

And what's that song that kid was lip synching? It was popular here a couple of years ago. Cheesy but catchy.

Dragosta (-stea?) din Tei. At least two versions of it came out some time ago in quick succession. Can't remember the artists though, personally I didn't like it... ;)

Anyway, the vid is cool indeed. :yellow:

Truly awesome.

It's stuff like that makes me think being an astronomer may well be worth it in spite of all the math.

I don't remember the artist, but the song is Numa Numa Iei. That video is kind of a minor cult classic among gamer geeks. :P

Oh my god! That was awesome...my goosebumps got goosebumps!

"Seen one galaxy, seen 'em all." :wicked:

Yep, we are definitely not the center of the universe. When we think we are, we are the stupidest life form.

Truly awesome.

It's stuff like that makes me think being an astronomer may well be worth it in spite of all the math.

HERE is some inspiration from Tony Darnell's website for you Woody. :3:

"Seen one galaxy, seen 'em all." :wicked:

Yep, we are definitely not the center of the universe. When we think we are, we are the stupidest life form.

And what if there were a billion planets that have intelligent life on them out there. Do we really believe that the god of the universe sent his one and only son to sacrifice himself for the humanity of this planet? Did he repeat this silly act 1 billion times? 2 billion?

And where is this god. If the known universe is 78 billion light years across, a creator would have to be where, in the center? outside? where? And the creator would have to be somehow more complex than the complexities of that picture?

The vastness of it all truly boggles my mind. As I lay awake in bed this morning I was contemplating that if there is intelligent life out there, we may not be able to know much about them, but we can at least make the educated guess that if they are advanced enough that they are studying the same laws of physics that we do and quite likely, the same evolution.

The question must be asked....will humanity destroy itself or will it survive to send our distant decendants to those stars?............. :scratch:

i've got my money on destroy itself. the odds are much better

The question must be asked....will humanity destroy itself or will it survive to send our distant decendants to those stars?............. :scratch:

I've been asking the same question, and I don't think there's much hope. We're facing WWIII and the Crusades II, and global warming and a new ice age, we're to dumb to be smart, so yeah, if we survive for a while, it's only so we can invent new and more destructive ways of eliminate our-self from existence.

I've been asking the same question, and I don't think there's much hope. We're facing WWIII and the Crusades II, and global warming and a new ice age, we're to dumb to be smart, so yeah, if we survive for a while, it's only so we can invent new and more destructive ways of eliminate our-self from existence.

I keep thinking that the future of mankind is not so cut and dry as extrapolating past behavior to future behavior. The reason why is I believe we will eventually (and probably not in the too distant future) genetically engineer our own evolution by manipulating the dna code. Natural selection will quite possibly give way to artificial selection, which would give future humans - or call them what you will - different traits than current humans. We don't yet have data to build a model from which to extrapolate the behavior, wants and needs of future intelligent life. We can speculate, but speculation is pretty close to meaningless at this point.

My bet is on extinction. Our intelligence is what has led us to manipulate our environments on a mass scale, without enough intelligence to understand the power of nature. Nature will win every time, even if we delay the inevitable through our "genius". We will be the cause of the next great global extinction, and then life will march forth again right over the tops of our remains. We've already wiped out species that have been around for millions of years. We're about to do it on a global scale, which will destroy us in its wake. We are highly intelligent fools.

Penny for my thoughts today?

Gracious you guys can sometimes be a dismal lot.

I hold out hope that as a species we will not only survive but prosper. I want to believe that there will be a day when we will be free of our superstitions and in possesion of a much greater understanding of ourselves and the world around us. Perhaps we will be much more cognizant of the complexity of life and more aware of the side effects generated by our own technologies.

Sure, it's hope. I'm optimistic and I'd like to stay that way.

My bet is on extinction. Our intelligence is what has led us to manipulate our environments on a mass scale, without enough intelligence to understand the power of nature. Nature will win every time, even if we delay the inevitable through our "genius". We will be the cause of the next great global extinction, and then life will march forth again right over the tops of our remains. We've already wiped out species that have been around for millions of years. We're about to do it on a global scale, which will destroy us in its wake. We are highly intelligent fools.

Penny for my thoughts today?

the only thing that comforts me is that we will all be dead when the fruits of our labors destroys the earth. well i hope so anyway. all the more reason we need jesus in this time of great need and impending doom.

and yes that was a very interesting video.

Omg. Excellent vid, Biggles.

We are so fucking self-centered on this planet. Thinking there's a god, who made us special, and we're the only people that matter... sheesh.

Fuck that. The Ultra Deep Field is probably the closest thing we'll ever get to a Total Perspective Vortex. (Douglas Adams had the right idea.) We're nothing out here, floating on the tiny blue dot in the middle of nowhere.

As to what direction we'll go - evolution or extinction - well, I don't know. I go back and forth about that. We'll do one or the other. If we figure out how to grow and develop and evolve into a better version of ourselves (or eventually a new species entirely), more power to us. If we don't, well - the earth won't notice at all, and who cares?

Most of the time I tend to think that the invention of nuclear weapons pretty much signaled an evolutionary obsolescence for humanity. I mean really, what other species on the planet is foolhardy enough to create something that could completely wipe itself out?

Anyway though. Great vid.

I'm almost-but-not-quite speechless. That video is a beautiful piece of work.

And I got all choked up when I realized what celestial body they were zooming in on in the opening shot. The M42 nebula in Orion. If it turns out that us humans aren't from around here after all, M42 would be the very first place I'd look for our ancestors.

Downloading it at a snail's pace now. The opening music is Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd. The opening message "Carl Sagan, You are missed" was enough to bring tears to my eyes. Carl Sagan's gone, and we are left to fend for ourselves against the garrisons of the savage and ignorant. Carl Sagan was a Pink Floyd fan himself, IIRC.

Wow, everyone seems to think we're going to kill ourselves. I hold out hope that we will survive for at least a bit longer. Global warming won't make us extinct, it'll simply make us adapt, which is something we're really good at. I highly doubt that we will ever use nukes again, we know how dangerous they are. We'll take control of our destiny with genetic engineering and spread at least to Mars.

As for the Earth not being the center of the universe, it technically is, as are all other points. The universe curves in on itself and every point in it can be considered the center. But there really isn't a center, so whatever.

I don't think we have to worry about global warming so much. It's more dangerous with ideological zealotry, that's the most dangerous weapon in the world. And I hope too that we can start settlements on Mars, because of some reason the only way for humanity to survive seems to be to expand the territory.

I don't think we have to worry about global warming so much. It's more dangerous with ideological zealotry, that's the most dangerous weapon in the world. And I hope too that we can start settlements on Mars, because of some reason the only way for humanity to survive seems to be to expand the territory.

:wave: Mr. Pessimism here. May I sour this optimism?

I don't think we'll be able to go settle Mars either, now that China has blown up a damned satellite in space, which will speed up the inevitability of the chain reaction of space debris littering outer space around our planet. Once that baby starts, anything we send up there might get destroyed flying through it, unless we harden the crafts with denser materials, which will cost more to lift into orbit, etc, etc making it impossible economically.

Add to this, what corporation is going to invest in a long term terraforming of Mars to make it habitable where they won't see any ROI for 10,000 years? Not going to happen.

I think we need to just clean up the home we've got and quit shitting in the water we drink, so to speak. Then get population growth under control. Education and moderation, not expansion. We're already too damned fat.

Ok, back to the thread. It was an awesome video. The universe is incomprehensible. :HaHa:

Kinda' makes me wish I knew more about Carl Sagan when he was around...I've only just started reading some of his books. I'm gonna be depressed for days when Richard Dawkins croaks.

Guest mick2767

It cuts me off every time right when he is about to say wah the hubble sees in 2003. Can anyone tell me? Every time I try it cuts me off right at that part.

Truly awesome.

HERE is some inspiration from Tony Darnell's website for you Woody. :3:

About that...

I appreciate the info, and it is encouraging stuff. The problem, however, isn't that I'm not good at math--I'm really rather proficient when I put my mind to it. The problem is I don't enjoy it all that much. I love the way it always makes sense, the logical objectivity of it, but mathematics doesn't stimulate much discussion or debate. That's exactly why I'm enjoying poli. sci. and philosophy so much more than my math this semester, and why I enjoyed Islamic Civ more than math last semester.