Goodbye Jesus

Wow

Biggles7268

It cuts me off every time right when he is about to say wah the hubble sees in 2003. Can anyone tell me? Every time I try it cuts me off right at that part.

Click the "play" button to pause it and let it load for a while. Your internet connection is probably not quick enough to stream the video. You will see a red bar loading across the bottom of the vid screen. When the red bar is sufficiently advanced to the right, unpause it and watch.

I wonder just how many species are training their telescopes toward us?

I wonder how much they resemble us?

I wonder if they are as self-centered as us?

I wonder whether any civilizations out there have avoided mono-theism?

I wonder how many stars out there have more than one planet where life has evolved simultaneously?

I wonder whether any society has ever seeded another planet with life?

I wonder how planet size and land mass affects evolutionary patterns?

I wonder how many planets have developed one world government?

I wonder whether any planets have cured hunger or poverty?

Hmmm....

Mongo

And I wonder if all of Mongo's questions are flawed because they are somehow derived necessarily from our own particular evolutionary development.

Not disagreeing Mongo, just wondering if we wouldn't be so blown away by such a different paradigm that exists elsewhere that we just don't have the ability to contemplate it.

And I wonder if all of Mongo's questions are flawed because they are somehow derived necessarily from our own particular evolutionary development.

Not disagreeing Mongo, just wondering if we wouldn't be so blown away by such a different paradigm that exists elsewhere that we just don't have the ability to contemplate it.

I don't know.

We evolved into a certain life form for a variety of reasons that are based on physical realities that I would anticipate finding on other planets in galaxies far far away.

What are the chances that the opitmal number of digits is 5 and that at least one will be a version of thumb? I bet it is pretty high.

Differences in gravity, climate and atmosphere would make for different forms of evolution. Maybe that would change the optimal number of digits.

Perhaps there are planets, lots of them, that cannot support human life or even large animal life but **could** support microbes. Would microbes develop a version of corporate intellegence.. a sort of brain? Perhaps not high intellegence but some sort of intellegence and perhaps even primitive language.

What if clumps of microbes talked to other clumps of microbes? What if they wondered who created them?

And what if a planet could only support highly tolerant insect type life forms. What if the largest life form possible (or optimal size) was the size of a mouse? How intellegent could you make a mouse sized animal? Would they evolve to live in tiny houses?

It seems to me that it is very likely that there are other societies, many of them, just like ours.

But I agree with your point. Limitations on other planets that we do not have would restrict evolutionary possibilities.

As to other paradigms? Who knows.

Mongo

What if the largest life form possible (or optimal size) was the size of a mouse? How intellegent could you make a mouse sized animal? Would they evolve to live in tiny houses?

They already do...ask Fwee. :HaHa:

Sorry...

What are the chances that the opitmal number of digits is 5 and that at least one will be a version of thumb? I bet it is pretty high.

Interesting. Never thought of that.

I was thinking more along these lines:

Humans are ape men and as such, many traits carry through including pack, or group mentality, alpha male leadership, etc...

What if otters evolved to the level of intelligence that we have? Wouldn't the dynamics of their interpersonal relationships be different and as such, the way they govern themselves, etc.?

Some species are agressive, others are loners, others are territorial, others are roamers... Who knows how many posibilities there are if you toss the dice enough times.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting thoughts. I suppose I'll be contemplating the deep field and the questions it raises for the next 20-40 years.

What if otters evolved to the level of intelligence that we have? Wouldn't the dynamics of their interpersonal relationships be different and as such, the way they govern themselves, etc.?

wasn't there a South Park episode about this?? They wanted to kill humans because they ate off of tables instead of their tummies.

I was thinking about this video alot today. AnIt all seems like a paradox to me in some ways. With this image we really are able, through the Hubble telescope, detect images of 10s of 1000s of galaxies, that are at least 70 BILLION light years away. These galaxies show us what the universe looked like somehwat soon after the Big Bang. They are essential such ancient views of the past, that many of these objects, even entire galaxies, may simply already be gone completely. (I.e we are seeing the light from them so long after that light left those objects, that the objects themselves could almost reasonably be expect to have burned out, exploded, imploded, become black holes, whatever, by now.)

Here's the thing. I only BARELY, and I mean BARELY understand how an astronomer can determine the distance of an object. It has something to do with light reflection, angles, etc (obviously I dont understand it) My question, is HOW THE HELL DO THEY KNOW HOW FAR AWAY AND OLD THESE THINGS ARE? OK, obviously they are not "nearby". That is why we can't see them unless the Hubble stares at black empty space for days and days unitl they show up. They are obviously galaxies, so they are obviously huge. And yes it is all so mindbogglinly humbling. It is clear that they must be very far away, and it is also clear, because of the speed of light, they must be very old images we are seeing. But how can they know how far away they are? How can we even figure out anything about them, if they are actually gone now? (I do understand this, but I guess I am referring to how amazing it all is?)

Did he say the universe is 78 Billion Light years across?? Never heard that before ..

That is a wild piece of film .. very impressive .. very mysterious!

Excellent observations Mick. And you're one step ahead of me in that you can kinda sorta figure out how they come up with these numbers.

That was an AWESOME video!! Makes ya think....

And to think all that was slapped together in six literal days. Man oh man that God fellow is good. Seriously I wish I were still smoking pot because this is the kind of thing that will just blow some high dudes away. It's just so hard to process the information in that video. Wow that was just some really great stuff.