Goodbye Jesus

I just might be Atheist

shy1680

I have come to conclusion tonight that Im like 90% Atheist. And its scary to admit to the fact Im loosing all belief in god. For some reason I still keep holding on the the hope of a god or higher power. The more I read into the bible, the whole idea of god is looking totally made up by humans. And Im only in Job now. I might be my families first atheist by the time i get done with the O.T. Funny I started reading the bible from the beginning to strengthen my faith, yet I became an ex-christian and now im might be atheist. God of the bible isnt doing a good job convincing me through "his word". Also reading through the history and the break offs of many different religions, its helping me loose faith in god fast. Judaism was simply a break off of middle eastern religions that used statues and carvings to represent their god, thats why they stressed no idols. And everytime people lost faith in their new invisible god, they went back to the physical god(s). When I look at the way worship went from people worshipping physical things to invisible things, it makes me see its all human made I can understand why this invisible force and other gods were made up, its simple for people who were lacking in the scientific advances of today to need some way of explaining their existance, their food, the animals, the land that provided everything needed for life and so on. The complex nature of DNA is like the only thing left that I could even attribute to a higher power. In a few years, pretty sure that will be explained away also.

My only issue now is, can you be atheist and still believe in the spiritual stuff related to humans, like ghost?

You are on the right track, shy.

Lots of people (thinking people, at least) start their questioning of God simply by thoroughly reading the bible. I mean, after the hundredth time of saying to yourself, what the f--? God CAN'T be like that..

If there is a god (and I think NOT) - but IF there is a God, he would expect you to use the brain that he gave you. Never let anyone tell you it's a sin to think.

Dear Shy, sometimes when I was in a doubting phase as a Christian, one of the arguments I would use on myself to bolster my faith was, surely the devil and ghosts are real, so God must be real. I don't know about paranormal phenomena, but it doesn't seem inconsistent with naturalistic thinking to admit that there might exist entities we know little about - doesn't follow a creator had to have created them. The only thing is, as you suggest with your comment on DNA, we don't really know of living, conscious entities that don't have bodies. There really is no mind-body dualism, as far as I know - whatever we think and sense, the brain and nervous system are the organs that do those things. So it seems more likely right now to me that visions of ghosts and things are suggested by the person's own mind.

The more I read into the bible, the whole idea of god is looking totally made up by humans.  And Im only in Job now. I might be my families first atheist by the time i get done with the O.T.  Funny I started reading the bible from the beginning to strengthen my faith, yet I became an ex-christian and now im might be atheist.  God of the bible isnt doing a good job convincing me through "his word".

As Mythra said, many of us started out trying to deepen our "walk with the Lord" by studying the Bible and ended up leaving the faith entirely. There are a lot of members of this site who followed that route, and far more such folks "out there."

Amazing, isn't it? It's totally reasonable to expect that deeper study of the Bible would lead us to a deeper Christianity, but very often, the opposite is true. By the way, this also seems to be the case in the scholarly Christian circles, too. I understand that apostocy among the higher orders of damned clergy is at an all time high.

Welcome, shy! Enjoy your time here.

Have you checked out the articles on this site? They can be found here: Archived articles

Some very interesting reading there. Lots of stuff the damned clergy doesn't want you to see.

Again, welcome.

Loren

Hello!

I think that actually reading the entire Bible is the way a lot of people become ex-Christians. It certainly helped me on that path.

Thanks for the post, and encouragement. It was hard telling the fam i was no longer christian, think i will be keeping this to myself lol. And its so strange how so many people end up doing the same thing as most of us, read the bible and then leave religion. That should tell faithful non-bible reading Christians something lol.

I have come to conclusion tonight that Im like 90% Atheist.  And its scary to admit to the fact Im loosing all belief in god.  For some reason I still keep holding on the the hope of a god or higher power.  The more I read into the bible, the whole idea of god is looking totally made up by humans.  And Im only in Job now.

Congratulations! It took me two full passes through the entire stupid book before I got to the point that I was even willing to consider alternative perspectives, and another couple of years later before I finally got to the point where I proudly embraced the title "atheist".

My only issue now is, can you be atheist and still believe in the spiritual stuff related to humans, like ghost?

You can, but why would you? If you continue along the skeptical road, you will likely reach the point where you place that into the same category as all the other BS you used to believe.

A lot of people turn to Buddhism or Deism after they realize Biblegod is just an imaginary friend. IMHO, they are just grabbing the closest emotional crutch floating by.

Yes. Occam is your friend.

Welcome Shy,

Good luck with finding your way. Stay open for everything, that's what I'd recommend.

Enjoy your stay,

Andy

I have come to conclusion tonight that Im like 90% Atheist. 

... ... ...

The complex nature of DNA is like the only thing left that I could even attribute to a higher power. In a few years, pretty sure that will be explained away also. 

... I'm still like you here. I'm getting the idea that there still might be a spiritual life, but Religion to me is a Culture's way of Competing as trying to get such Culture's at being the better Culture in this world.

... What has me here, is why is all matter existing anyway? Why does this matter form DNA and is able to fashion the life we are in diversed ways? Life in the Earth, In the Waters, On Land and even in the Air. Even between temperature extremes. Some can live in freezing temperatures and others can live in extreme hot temperatures. As if it was set off and then to go on its own and do evolution as if diversity was the idea to entertain something. To see what the outcome would be. Nothing like an Omnipotent God, but as if there is something there, that hasn't got it all figured out and can't interfer. What I think is we just look to Nature, like the Native Americans did. That Christianity that came from the Spanish Inquistion and those that started colonizing Northern America smothered out the Native Americans with their idea about life. Which of course could had been more at the real truth and answers to the life we see. If there is a Deity through Nature and this is Pantheism, then I lean abit to Pantheism I guess. Or for the Spiritual if finding a partner that I like to be intimate with. But that will be with the physical going on without taboo. I think our physical doings, is what allows for anything spiritual to be considered, if at all.

Thanks for the post, and encouragement.  It was hard telling the fam i was no longer christian, think i will be keeping this to myself lol.  And its so strange how so many people end up doing the same thing as most of us, read the bible and then leave religion.  That should tell faithful non-bible reading Christians something lol.

It should, but unfortunately a lot of Christians will use the cop out that you didn't "read with understanding". What's ironic is that those same people are the Christians that haven't taken the time to read/study their bibles. They may quote verses here and there to try and show that they have; but I serious doubt they have taken the time to set down and read it like you would a novel, instead of skiping around only reading bits and pieces that sound pleasing to their ears. Reading/studying the bible is exactly how I turned away from Christianity. The more I studied the more disgusted I got.

Hi Loki, welcome to the site!

Like you said, cut&past works great to create your own little version of religion.

That's the reason why Christianity hasn't died out as a religion.

It's the power of modification, the dynamic structure of its text.

It has verses that can support killing or not killing, hating or loving, giving or taking, whatever you want to get you religious fix, it's in there.

So in a sense the Bible is one of the "best" holy books, just because it's so flexible. It survives changes in culture and society, just by changing the interpretation of it.

One generation believed "four corners of the earth", literally meant that, and now it only means "the whole world".

Reading/studying the bible is exactly how I turned away from Christianity. The more I studied the more disgusted I got.

And yet another studies his way out. Interesting how many of us did that.

Welcome, Loki!

shy1680, loki..

One does not have to give up their quest for fulfillment in whatever they choose to follow and/or practice..

Glad that you've found that the organized country club-like religious experience isn't what "turns your crank" .

You'll find that being able to say *I dunno, but I'm willing to research and learn* makes your mind work in ways that religion stifles..

Welcome to a place where minds of many directions, interests and opinions meet.

May not always be a pretty spot to sit, watch the peanut shells and empty beer mugs, but we all get a chance to say what we'd like and in return not fear censure and ridicule from *daAnnoited from First Frozen Chosen*..

Be welcome..

kL

Guest Hannibal
I have come to conclusion tonight that Im like 90% Atheist.  And its scary to admit to the fact Im losing all belief in god.  For some reason I still keep holding on the the hope of a god or higher power.

Thanks for your honesty, and congratulations on you devotion to truth!

• 2 weeks later...
And its scary to admit to the fact Im loosing all belief in god.  For some reason I still keep holding on the the hope of a god or higher power. 

I know how you feel. I did the same thing before finally admitting to myself that it was just wishful thinking ... and it was scary for me too. BUT, after I made that admission and was honest with myself, it was like being given a new lease on life. I looked at everything differently, in a more honest and healthy way.

As for ghost and the supernatural, I didn't want to simply redraw the line of where my belief in the unbelievable existed; I wanted to completely remove the line. I found it much easier to not limit my reason at all after leaving xtianity but I know that not everyone feels the same. At least you have escaped the worst of mythology.

Good luck to you!

Welcome, I'm still coping with not believing in any god or gods anymore. Like I think sometimes what if there is a god and this bible god is him. I thought he is mean but what if it's true? Stuff like that, I'll be happy when I am completely settled as an atheist, I am but I've only been 1 for 4 months.

Welcome, I'm still coping with not believing in any god or gods anymore.  Like I think sometimes what if there is a god and this bible god is him.  I thought he is mean but what if it's true?  Stuff like that, I'll be happy when I am completely settled as an atheist, I am but I've only been 1 for 4 months.

It took me somewhere between 6 months to 1 year before I had recovered somewhat. Now, 2 years+, I'm happy as can be!!! Such freedom!!!

But it is a struggle. I spent some sleepless nights trying to resolve my emotions to accept no afterlife. Not saying that there might be something after life after all, but I had to come to terms that it was likely nothing will happen when I die. Somehow it was the same struggle I had as a kid, trying to understand inifinity. It is logical, but the emotions couldn't handle it, at first at least. But now... so different.

BW, just hang in there, you're on the right track.

It took me somewhere between 6 months to 1 year before I had recovered somewhat. Now, 2 years+, I'm happy as can be!!! Such freedom!!!

It took me about a year before I was willing to call myself by the label I had always despised and ridiculed as foolish; atheist. I'm going on about 1.5-2 years now (not sure exactly when I stopped believing).

But it is a struggle. I spent some sleepless nights trying to resolve my emotions to accept no afterlife.

The odd thing is, by the time I had stopped believing, the idea of heaven as described in the Bible didn't sound so good. I had become a Biblical literalist, and so heaven wasn't just a wonderful fantasy land, it was singing praise to god eternally, and hell was real to me too, which caused me great agony thinking about people who had died and whether or not they were saved - particularly a childhood friend who had committed suicide.

I came to the conclusion that annihilation would be preferrable as I stopped believing. But, of course I battled the same issue as you. Who doesn't want to live forever (assuming it could be the forever of your choice)? I had an experience that helped to alleviate the fear of annihilation though. I was paralyzed for surgery.

If you've ever had this done, you'll know what I'm talking about. One moment the anesthesiologist was telling me, "this is going to feel like a couple of margaritas. Do you feel anything yet?" ... "Not yet." and the very next moment I was in recovery. There were no dreams, no sense of the passage of time, nothing at all. As best I can tell, my consciousness ceased to exist in any way. Of course, this happens every night to most people between dreams, but you don't notice because it happens gradually instead of instantly.

I came to the conclusion that annihilation would be preferrable as I stopped believing.  But, of course I battled the same issue as you.  Who doesn't want to live forever (assuming it could be the forever of your choice)?  I had an experience that helped to alleviate the fear of annihilation though.  I was paralyzed for surgery. 

If you've ever had this done, you'll know what I'm talking about.  One moment the anesthesiologist was telling me, "this is going to feel like a couple of margaritas.  Do you feel anything yet?"  ... "Not yet."  and the very next moment I was in recovery.  There were no dreams, no sense of the passage of time, nothing at all.  As best I can tell, my consciousness ceased to exist in any way.  Of course, this happens every night to most people between dreams, but you don't notice because it happens gradually instead of instantly.

I can imagine what it is like.

What helped me (and that was part of my sleeplessness - sp?) was that I saw death as falling asleep. I don't care about the world around me when I'm sleeping, and I don't remember the night, so why care about death.

But it was so strange though, that rationally I knew what was right, but my emotions were so stuck in the need to have a foundation for life and death, that my mind had to work out the kinks after I've accepted the truth.

So many people newly awakening are posting on this thread -- how amazing and wonderful.

I want to assure you that if you do only one thing: Keep Thinking -- you'll be okay. No matter how you meander into and out of other possibilities for imagining "The Great Mysteries of Life" you'll be living your own life, with all its errors and accomplishments. Living and owning your own life isn't possible when the meaning of your life is dictated to you by any person, entity or book.

It's almost impossible for me to remember the struggles and turmoil of my first couple of years as an atheist, though I know it was a difficult transition. I was 19. Now I'm 62. Unless I'm in these forums I rarely have cause to reflect on my being an atheist. I'm too busy whole-heartedly engaging in reality.

And my whole-hearted wish for all of you is that you'll soon be doing the same.

So many people newly awakening are posting on this thread -- how amazing and wonderful.

I find it extremely gratifying to see how helpful and caring our new members want to be for each other, Pitchu.

I find it extremely gratifying to see how helpful and caring our new members want to be for each other, Pitchu.

So true, Loren. And so excellent.

Shy...

Like you I am probably about 90% atheist. I think that there is still a small part of me that will not quite go there yet due to fear. On some level it's a frightening thought that when you die, that's it. But my mind keeps telling me that fact over and over.

As far as I know, there has never been an atheist in my family either. Of course, you never know what people really believe deep down inside sometimes.