Goodbye Jesus

Your Defense for the Biblegod Monster

Guest SerenityNow

Guest SerenityNow
KJV = Lots and lots of mistakes

The original text, I have found no mistakes. Consider it in context and the presupposition that truth never contradicts truth. 

One, I am not very familiar with these topics... as the OT is not my emphasis in Biblical studies. I don't give a lot of credit to the accuracy of KJV. The original text is often different and the WHOLE context must be considered, yet having said that... I can see where you are coming from and admire your critical thinking.

He died to set the ultmate example in demonstrating the principles that can give one the best life in ANY situation. You missed the principles that were important. If anyone follows these principles, they can find the way to overcome all obstacles. Number one, God is not the rapist... he offers a way of life to avoid the negative repercussions associated with some actions. To this extent, no one has free will... in that every decision has repercussions... better known as being accountable and responsible for one's own actions. All and all, there is free will in that no one is forced to come to God on what is perceived as his terms. If those are the terms you think he is offering... I wouldn't go either... nor would anyone else that felt that way.

So that is how it is in YOUR world?

Amanda, I'm sorry....you have not even bothered to read the OT text....no wonder your so happily defending the monster in the bible. KJV, NIV, NKJV, Amplified, etc., it matters not the Bible you are reading from, the biblegod is a disgusting monster. You read that OT and to your horror you will see that the Sunday School bible heroes are nothing but a bunch of murderers, rapist, torturer's, liars, etc. You'll see that god has a law that if a woman touches a man's penis, in defense of her husband that GOD orders her hand be cut off without pity. And you call this justice? There are few rape laws but I am particularly fond of the one requiring the rapist to pay the father of the victim a few shekels and then MARRY the victim.

I'll start here for now. I'm sure that others will have more to add. You accuse me of missing the "important principles"? I was a Christian probably for more years than you've been on this earth, I understood them just fine. When I read the evils though, the principles became a joke.

You'll see that god has a law that if a woman touches a man's penis, in defense of her husband that GOD orders her hand be cut off without mercy

Thankful, somehow I missed that one. Can you cite the biblical address for that?

Thanks in advance.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

11When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:  12Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

What an awesome god!  He is so good and worthy of all our praise....right

Apparently this law only serves because it may embarass the man. (there needs to be an eyeroll smiley)

There is. Here you are.

:rolleyes:

When you go to write a post, under "Clickable Smilies" left of your posting box, click on "Show All." You'll see the entire menu of smilies. Thank you for providing that reference. I pity those who would follow this law.

God is like an abusing parent. I think we had that in another thread, but I just wanted to add that.

Demand people to punish each other for disobeying stupid laws.

If someone doesn’t get the punishment in their life, torture them in eternity after death.

Good post, tf

You know, we look at the fundamental muslims today, and think, what a barbaric people. What animals. They chop off hands and heads and rape and murder all the time. These people are crazy.

Then when you take a look at YHWH in the old testament, you see a god who's character is very similar.

Maybe the Fundy Islamists are the ones who really are close to God. They reflect his true character every day.

Amanda, I'm sorry....you have not even bothered to read the OT text....no wonder your so happily defending the monster in the bible.  KJV, NIV, NKJV, Amplified, etc., it matters not the Bible you are reading from, the biblegod is a disgusting monster.  You read that OT and to your horror you will see that the Sunday School bible heroes are nothing but a bunch of murderers, rapist, torturer's, liars, etc.  You'll see that god has a law that if a woman touches a man's penis, in defense of her husband that GOD orders her hand be cut off without pity.  And you call this justice?  There are few rape laws but I am particularly fond of the one requiring the rapist to pay the father of the victim a few shekels and then MARRY the victim.

I'll start here for now.  I'm sure that others will have more to add.  You accuse me of missing the "important principles"?  I was a Christian probably for more years than you've been on this earth, I understood them just fine.  When I read the evils though, the principles became a joke.

I apologize if I've offended you in any way! It was careless of me not to be more considerate. Me- :dumbo: It was never my intention... and you DO have my utmost respect. Please consider my sincere apologies with an open heart my friend.

I have read the OT according to King James... yet what I refer to is the study of the original text which is very time consuming. One chapter, any chapter, takes many, many hours of research to decipher and evaluate its true meaning and intentions, to me and not that of KJ. So, do I have a license from God that says what I hold is absolute Truth? It hasn't dropped in my lap or come in the mail yet. :nono: Yet, perhaps we can approach this in reason and of good heart and evaluate a particular circumstance... and I will do my best according to my studies of the original text. Could we start with one incidence instead of the WHOLE book... that is if you care. It would be easier for me if you would be so kind to indulge me and pick something out of the NT first. :Hmm:

Again, my apologies... and thank you for calling me on it. :thanks:

I apologize if I've offended you in any way! It was careless of me not to be more considerate. Me-  :dumbo:   It was never my intention... and you DO have my utmost respect. Please consider my sincere apologies with an open heart my friend.

I have read the OT according to King James... yet what I refer to is the study of the original text which is very time consuming. One chapter, any chapter, takes many, many hours of research to decipher and evaluate its true meaning and intentions, to me and not that of KJ. So, do I have a license from God that says what I hold is absolute Truth? It hasn't dropped in my lap or come in the mail yet. :nono:   Yet, perhaps we can approach this in reason and of good heart and evaluate a particular circumstance... and I will do my best according to my studies of the original text. Could we start with one incidence instead of the WHOLE book... that is if you care. It would be easier for me if you would be so kind to indulge me and pick something out of the NT first.  :Hmm:

Again, my apologies... and thank you for calling me on it.  :thanks:

NT:

“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace on earth! No, rather a sword lf you love your father, mother, sister, brother, more than me, you are not worthy of being mine. Matthew 10:34

This verse states your "faith" is to come before family. It actually goes further in Luke 14:25-35 that states you must HATE your family else you can't be a disciple. There is NO interpreting that word, things are what they are. Trying to apply some hidden code that Christ didn't really mean hate is bs, it's there for all to see as is.

Cherry picking verses of love and what not is bs, there is plenty of hate and encouraging hate to even your own family in the bible if only you'd open your eyes and see it.

How about encouraging Child abandonment? Look at the rewards you'll get in heaven for leaving your kids. Matthew 19:28+ 29

Matt 11:19-25 Christ advocates destroying a city because the people didn't repent and accept his message, then in verse 25 admits he tricked everyone.. (WTF?)

Mark 4:11-12 So Jesus talks in Parables to trick people going to hell aye? I thought he came to save us all? I guess some more then others

Perhaps while you digest that a bit, you can look into the O(original) T and ask why God Destroyed Sodom and Gormah?

Even the kids were killed, He saved lot sure because Lot was righteous right? How come lot then, when he goes to the cave to rest has sex with his own kids God rewards this by allowing each of Lots daughters bare his grandchildren? That's righteous? :Wendywhatever:

Also God doesn't change, he's the same yesterday, today and forever right? God can not evolve as he's God and is already Everything... (??)

I cannot look at the biblegod with a good heart, although I will try my hardest to not insult you.  May I ask why? you are requesting the NT first?  You cannot understand the New Testament properly without first understanding the YHWH of the Old, it's impossible.  Perhaps it would be better for you to study awhile in the Old and then get back to the defense of what I deem the monster of all deity's.

I don't think that the scripture I gave, Deuteronomy 25:11-12 requires any special revelations or studies, it stands alone.  How is that a fair and just law??

I appreciate your attempt to be tolerant of me... really, as I do understand somewhat... probably not entirely, your disgust for many things represented to be in the name of God. I requested the NT because that is the one I have spent more time in researching, yet you are right in that there needs to be some understanding of the OT in regards to much of the NT.

It seems you have made a request of me concerning Deuteronomy 25:11-12, yet I know the intention may have really been to be a statement. So, if you will allow me the opportunity to address it as a question, I will give my interpretation of that scripture... and respect your response with humble engagement.

Deuteronomy is speaking in regards to the establishment's customs; if a husband dies without child, then the brother is to take his deceased brother's wife and care for her and carry on his brother's line through her for him. The scripture goes on to say if this brother refuses this, he is held in contempt to the ways of the present establishment at that time. Do I totally understand that now? No, and that was not the issue of your challenge. I do know that things were a lot different 4,000 to 6,000 years ago than they are now.

Additionally, the scripture says that if this brother should be subjected to the contempt of those that judge him, and if his wife grabs his "secrets' in front of all (probably a display out of jealousy and selfish desire for her husband?), it brings shame to her husband.

------------------------------------------------------

secrets:

Strong's Number: 04016 Browse Lexicon

Original Word Word Origin

Xbm from (0954)

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Mabush TWOT - 222d

Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech

maw-boosh' Noun Masculine

Definition

private parts, his privates, male genitals

literally - 'that excites shame'

Strong's Number: 0954 Browse Lexicon

Original Word Word Origin

Xwb a primitive root

Transliterated Word TDNT Entry

Buwsh TWOT - 222

Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech

boosh Verb

Definition

King James Word Usage - Total: 109

ashamed 72, confounded 21, shame 9, all 2 (inf. for emphasis), confusion 1, delayed 1, dry 1, long 1, shamed 1

--------------------------------------------------

Those that see this shame she brings to him, judge her to the punishment of cutting off her hand! :eek: God goes on to say that this should not be so! We do not judge people with two weights of measure... all good or all bad, incredibly harsh punishment or hardly none at all. We give punishment accordingly, with compassion and to the measure of the offense, and those that don't are an abomination unto the Lord! With all due respect, please consider the interpretation revealed to me and read it again...

Deuteronomy

25:5

If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger *: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

25:6

And it shall be, that the firstborn which she beareth shall succeed in the name of his brother which is dead, that his name be not put out of Israel.

25:7

And if the man like not to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate unto the elders, and say, My husband's brother refuseth to raise up unto his brother a name in Israel, he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.

25:8

Then the elders of his city shall call him, and speak unto him: and if he stand to it, and say, I like not to take her;

25:9

Then shall his brother's wife come unto him in the presence of the elders, and loose his shoe from off his foot, and spit in his face, and shall answer and say, So shall it be done unto that man that will not build up his brother's house.

25:10

And his name shall be called in Israel, The house of him that hath his shoe loosed.

25:11

When men strive together one with another *, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets:

25:12

Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her.

25:13

Thou shalt not have in thy bag divers weights *, a great and a small.

25:14

Thou shalt not have in thine house divers measures *, a great and a small.

25:15

But thou shalt have a perfect and just weight, a perfect and just measure shalt thou have: that thy days may be lengthened in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

25:16

For all that do such things, and all that do unrighteously, are an abomination unto the LORD thy God.

I have read the OT according to King James... yet what I refer to is the study of the original text which is very time consuming. One chapter, any chapter, takes many, many hours of research to decipher and evaluate its true meaning and intentions, to me and not that of KJ.

When you say you study the original text, what do you really mean?

I'd like to understand a little more how and what you do when you do this study.

Do you read a bible in greek, and translates?

Do you take into account the alternative meanings each word has, and compare it to the common accepted translation of those words?

Basically can you give a little more input to the process you have?

Amanda, biblegod doesn't change for the times.  Many of those laws are in the code of hammarubi.  He can't "be the same yesterday, today and forever." when you apply your logic.

You wrote:Additionally, the scripture says that if this brother should be subjected to the contempt of those that judge him, and if his wife grabs his "secrets' in front of all (probably a display out of jealousy and selfish desire for her husband?), it brings shame to her husband

I do not see that.  The scripture SPECIFICALLY says that if two men are fighting and if the woman IN DEFENSE of her husband grabs the other mans genitals, that she is to have her hand cut off without pity.  Where are you getting your version?

Thankful, You may notice that Amanda has described god as "All things are parts of God". Amanda is obviously not an orthodox Christian. She is perhaps a Gnostic, or an open theist. What ever she is she is a heretic. If she was ever a TrueChristian™, she is now an apostate. She will not supply you with any expected answers.

When you say you study the original text, what do you really mean?

I'd like to understand a little more how and what you do when you do this study.

Do you read a bible in greek, and translates?

Do you take into account the alternative meanings each word has, and compare it to the common accepted translation of those words?

Basically can you give a little more input to the process you have?

HanSolo, you are very perceptive about what is involved in reading the original text. (You're perceptive in everything!) The time the text was written, even the KJV too, they were not as articulate as we are now. Yes, one word has many meanings and sometimes evolved from multiple words with many meanings. Researching a word all the way back to its prime root meaning enhances the comprehension of its meaning.

I use to do this with many books, mainly the Strong Concordance via the KJV. Now I am aware of a website that offers these tools computerized, much faster, easier, and free! That site is http://www.crosswalk.com/. Access Bible Study Tools, then I select OT, NT, or whole Bible. Additionally I can pick the translation I wish to reference, which is KJV with Strong numbers... that allows me to access any book, verse, or word, select the word in interest and research it all the way to its prime root meaning from which it was derived, by only a click here or there! AHHHH, much easier! Getting a much fuller sense of intent and purpose of the communication, I research associated words also, as often they do pertain to the word of interest according to the way its been understood by KJV. Really interesting insights... I have researched and cross referenced whole chapters... and amazing mysteries unfold! Much of it in line with the reasoning I see on this site... that popular belief is not the Spirituality to which it refers... Thank God! Gosh, you guys are smart! And I said that SINCERELY... before anyone takes me wrong and puts me in the firing squad... AGAIN! :twitch:

Amanda, biblegod doesn't change for the times.  Many of those laws are in the code of hammarubi.  He can't "be the same yesterday, today and forever." when you apply your logic.

You wrote:Additionally, the scripture says that if this brother should be subjected to the contempt of those that judge him, and if his wife grabs his "secrets' in front of all (probably a display out of jealousy and selfish desire for her husband?), it brings shame to her husband

I do not see that.  The scripture SPECIFICALLY says that if two men are fighting and if the woman IN DEFENSE of her husband grabs the other mans genitals, that she is to have her hand cut off without pity.  Where are you getting your version?

Thankful, hopefully we can pardon our miscommunication. As I understand the scripture to say... the issue is that a man publicly admits amongst his elders he does not wish to comply with the customs of his time and care for his deceased brothers wife who is without child and bear her a child in his deceased brother's name. It is then the wife of the man, brought in judgement, who grabs her own husband's genitals in perhaps a way that suggests that she is the only one who excites him. The elders may judge that his own wife has shamed him in this public display and should have her hand cut off without pity. Continuing on... God says NO, and this kind of punishment is an abomination to God.

Scripture is taken from www.crosswalk.com , Bible study tools section, KJV with Strong numbers. I copied it exactly to the screen for your convenience... yet I offer the site so that you can know for yourself.

Thanks again for your tolerance.... not your agreement, as I respect fully any outcome you ascertain in your own interpretation... and can we still be friends? :shrug:

before anyone takes me wrong and puts me in the firing squad... AGAIN!  :twitch:

Sorry, the promise is that miracles can only happen outside the sphere of the ex-christian.net. So the firing squad is always lurking around.

It's like playing Halo2 Live, when everyone shoots everyone. You never know from where the next shot will come....

:grin:

Thankful, You may notice that Amanda has described god as "All things are parts of God". Amanda is obviously not an orthodox Christian.  She is perhaps a Gnostic, or an open theist.  What ever she is she is a heretic.  If she was ever a TrueChristian, she is now an apostate.  She will not supply you with any expected answers.

Dear Chefranden, with affection, I relay that I am not quite as adept at labels as many here, as well as yourself, and am not familiar with the apropriate name as to which you should refer to me. I know who I am, uniquely my own person (obviously), and whatever name you wish to refer to me is fine with me. Respectfully, I'm just curious to know, if you will, which one calls out more of the spirit of truth to your being?

Amanda, currently I would say that you are a mystery.

You're the mystery lady of the month.

And maybe that's the way it was supposed to be.

A true believe is the one whole truly seeks the answer.

But better watch out, you could eventually end up in our camp. ;)

Dear Chefranden, with affection, I relay that I am not quite as adept at labels as many here, as well as yourself, and am not familiar with the apropriate name as to which you should refer to me. I know who I am, uniquely my own person (obviously), and whatever name you wish to refer to me is fine with me. Respectfully, I'm just curious to know, if you will, which one calls out more of the spirit of truth to your being?

I call my best friend who claims to be a Christian, heretic, would that do for you? Unfortunately I have no spirit of truth.

Truth isn't a spirit. Truth is just truth. :shrug:

Why must we make everything so mystical? I despise new-agey talk, myself.

Guest MalaInSe
I use to do this with many books, mainly the Strong Concordance via the KJV. Now I am aware of a website that offers these tools computerized, much faster, easier, and free! That site is http://www.crosswalk.com/.

Ugh. You should pick up a good lexicon rather than rely on a concordance. You seem aware that there are agendas and biases in translations, so you probably understand that there are in the tools of translation as well. Christian concordances are pretty useless in determining plain meaning in Greek, in my experience.

I would also suggest some nonreligious courses in Ancient Greek and Classical literature and culture. Right now your study is entirely without context, which is also important to determining the meanings as well as implications of the Greek words in your reading.

The way you are studying now is only slightly an improvement on relying on translations by others.

Renee

Guest MalaInSe
IMHO, the Old Testament is better understood in from a Hebrew vs. greek point of view.

And it is, absolutely, however I was commenting on the way she was studying the NT, which is written in Greek.

Truth isn't a spirit.  Truth is just truth. :shrug:

Why must we make everything so mystical?  I despise new-agey talk, myself.

Cerise, and you are right in many ways... yet there is one definition, of about 14, that might seem to be more of a metaphorical interpretation of the "spirit" of Truth...

Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: 1spir·it

Pronunciation: 'spir-&t

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French or Latin; Old French, from Latin spiritus, literally, breath, from spirare to blow, breathe

1 : an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms

For the sake of argument... can we embrace the 'vital principle' for now?

So you don't like mystical? How do you feel about metaphysical? And I'm curious to know what your definition of New Age is? Thank you for your consideration and attention to these matters I ask in sincere search for meaning... as my emphasis of study has not been on labels. :thanks:

I call my best friend who claims to be a Christian, heretic, would that do for you?  Unfortunately I have no spirit of truth.

Chefranden, hey, thanks for asking!!! ...Heretic?

Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: her·e·tic

Pronunciation: 'her-&-"tik

Function: noun

1 : a dissenter from established church dogma; especially : a baptized member of the Roman Catholic Church who disavows a revealed truth

2 : one who dissents from an accepted belief or doctrine : NONCONFORMIST

Number 1 is questionable... it depends on what the 'revealed' truth might be.

Number 2 might be appropriate... as just because it is a popular, long standing belief doesn't make it so. I don't conform without reasonable thought on the subject.... like many of my wonderful acquaintances here. :grin:

Although, take into consideration I do believe in the original text as the truly inspired word of God, and I do believe that Jesus, who came to show the Way, the Truth, and therefore the Life... manifested the fullness of the consciousness of God here on earth.

So, am I a heretic? You can call me anything you want... but what would really do for me is if you can include calling me an acceptable acquaintance, or how about your friend? ...is that asking too much from you? :Look:

And it is, absolutely, however I was commenting on the way she was studying the NT, which is written in Greek.

But supposedly the original text to NT should not have been written in Greek (or Geek) but in Arameic. Right?

Ugh.  You should pick up a good lexicon rather than rely on a concordance.  You seem aware that there are agendas and biases in translations, so you probably understand that there are in the tools of translation as well.  Christian concordances are pretty useless in determining plain meaning in Greek, in my experience.

I would also suggest some nonreligious courses in Ancient Greek and Classical literature and culture.  Right now your study is entirely without context, which is also important to determining the meanings as well as implications of the Greek words in your reading.

The way you are studying now is only slightly an improvement on relying on translations by others.

Renee

Renee... yes! I know what you are talking about in regards to subjecting their own interpretations into the mix. :ugh: Yet, they usually make known that is what they are doing.... as if all of us recognize them as the authority. :Hmm: I use to use books for many years of different resources, yet now that I have found these tools online, I've become quite lazy... yet once I see what is happening in the discourse with the definition... I will beware of what they interject into the meaning. I totally disregard their "study helps"! If you can share an insight of a resource you have in interpreting a more accurate meaning or intention of the original text, I'd be honored and absolutely delighted!

What do you mean without context? It is in context of my day to day life! It is applicable to here and now, and is able to add support and strength in the way I approach each day. It seems that these recommended classes may give insights, as do Buddhist, Suffis, and others... and I can appreciate that... yet the mysteries and priciples that unfold in the scriptures never cease to amaze me!

Amanda, I'll try and read that a few more times in Deuteronomy.

How to you defend god drowning to death infants and children in the flood?  If he is all powerful and merciful why not just click his fingers and spare the suffering?

Hello Thankful! Because you and others often refer to the Noah's ark rendering in the Bible, I decided to read it again... with special interest given to the concerns you, and others, mentioned.

Starting with Genesis 6, it seems to be a time when mankind was quite barbaric. Prior studies have revealed that when Adam's eyes were opened and he knew he was naked... researching this word 'naked' means that he knew he was subtle, crafty and came from an animal like nature. I personally don't think Adam was a man, but a prototype of mankind... as the crowmagnum man is not 'a' man. Anyway, the point is that Genesis 6 is near the same time as Adam, and this chapter starts with how these sons/children of self professed elitists ...did whatever they wanted and saw how these other children of the earth were luscious for their sexual apetites, and showed no respect for anyone but what they wanted for themselves and bore many children in this manner.

This perpetual dysfunction caused a void of respect in that which is to be cherished amongst one another, and this saddened God, the ultimate truth, in their total disregard for the welfare of another. Studying the original text, somewhat, it appears that generations of this produced 'sociopaths'... cultivating more of the same.... till basically that is all that existed. Complete misery, deceit, hatred, vendictiveness, exploitation, etc. was the norm.

Yet Noah, not perfect, managed to ascertain some favor from God, and so God decided to spare him and his family. It grieved God's heart so to have had ended that generation, and He promised he would never do that again.

Now what happened to those people destroyed in the flood? I believe they are ultimately redeemed... yet accountable for their choices. No one was thrown away, yet disciplined accordingly for understanding the maliciousness of their ways and the realization of more appropriate ways to embrace life.

Thankful, I hope you're still tolerant of me... if you've read this far... :Hmm: Any response you have will be respected in a gracious manner of sharing your insights with me... and therefore a part of who you are. I've been seeing a lot of fireworks lately and it ain't even the fourth of July yet! :eek: Hope its not a preview of what is yet to come... :Look:

So, am I a heretic? You can call me anything you want... but what would really do for me is if you can include calling me an acceptable acquaintance, or how about your friend? ...is that asking too much from you? :Look:

:scratch: I supose that it would be OK to have two friends that think they are Christian, but are really heretics. :scratch::scratch: Ya ok friend it is then.

But in fact you are a heretic whatever Merriam has to say. I am fully quallified to judge since I was a defender of the faith from the pulpit and from the street. Sadly, I am now an apostate, but I was never a heretic, well except for that tiny little problem about thinking that women can think. Other than that I was true blue. And, of course, I'm I am an apostate from the TrueChurch™. I wouldn't be apostate from just any church you know. I'm Apostate from the Church of Christ the church that started on the first Pentacost so many long years ago and then took a break until 1830, but it is the same one the New Testament Church restored. Hallalujah, brothers and sisters!

So you see, friend Amanda, I know you are a heretic. But don't let it bother you. It really doesn't matter, except that it makes it more difficult to argue with you.