Goodbye Jesus

"scooter" Libby Has Sentence Commuted

Wendybabe

MY education failed to link things together. I managed that.

Everything happened in a pocket universe according to teachers. It's like the way we're taught religion... Jerusalem at the time was actually a meeting place that had the known world there... the Chinese to the Vikings. Indian Buddhist missionaries and Persians... not a Disneyland where there were only Jews and Romans.

The problem is that it's easier to teach and think in pocket universes. When the events of the Crucifxtion were happening, Emperor Claudius was becoming the first Emperor to visit the British Isles, give or take a month or so...

Well, let's see. Normally if you commit a crime such as property destruction and you are caught, you go to jail. The vast majority of Americans are not rich enough to get high-priced lawyers to keep them out of prison. However, please don't mistake the fact that most people don't care to go to jail for agreeing with Bush. I think in the 2008 elections, the other Republicans will pay the price for his idiocy. But like Skip said, is it really going to be any better? I doubt it.

And here's what I'm thinking. Even if we actually were able to get enough pissed off people to overthrow the government, how much better would it really be? The vast majority of the U.S. population is brainwashed by churches and their government. I think we'd revert to the old way of doing things and the old way of thinking fairly fast.

IMO it would be better to start with the younger generations, teach them to think for themselves. Only then can we have hope for the future.

IMO it would be better to start with the younger generations, teach them to think for themselves. Only then can we have hope for the future.

Our current 'younger generation' is growing up in publik schools where they are subject to arrest should Billy hit Johnny. These days, if there's a fight at school, BOTH kids will be punished regardless of the circumstances involved. Oh, and these days cops are willing to use a tazer on a six-year-old.

Prospects for younger generations thinking for themselves (in regards to questioning authority) don't look good. We're training them to be well-behaved subjects.

"New Boss, same as the Old Boss"

Yup. 'tain't nuthin gunna change. I just hope the American government doesn't fuck up the world beyond repair. I have no hope that the ideals of the founding fathers that represent our collective interpretation will be restored; if they ever existed to begin with. I have almost zero hope that things will get even reasonably better after Bush is gone. For that to happen the powerful would have to give up the system that is self beneficial (lobbying, control of the message, etc...) and I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

Bush's biggest crime is that he did what just about everyone before him had already done, only he did it artlessly and more greedily.

Our current 'younger generation' is growing up in publik schools where they are subject to arrest should Billy hit Johnny. These days, if there's a fight at school, BOTH kids will be punished regardless of the circumstances involved. Oh, and these days cops are willing to use a tazer on a six-year-old.

I didn't say we had to teach them in public schools. Teaching critical thinking skills is something parents should be involved in, especially since the schools aren't doing very well at it in general. Parents need to get involved in their childrens' education instead of just working 9-5, coming home, and watching the boob tube.

Yup. 'tain't nuthin gunna change. I just hope the American government doesn't fuck up the world beyond repair. I have no hope that the ideals of the founding fathers that represent our collective interpretation will be restored; if they ever existed to begin with. I have almost zero hope that things will get even reasonably better after Bush is gone. For that to happen the powerful would have to give up the system that is self beneficial (lobbying, control of the message, etc...) and I don't see them doing that anytime soon.

I don't think it's beyond repair, but it will continue to be fucked up if people keep up the apathy.

There's still a little Bridge to meet at, even if it isn't the 'original location'.

Up to each individual to decide how many chains will be born on their limbs until they find, then decide, to cast them off.

Object is my readers, you've read some serious, not so serious, and even tons of sarcastic shit from this keyboard, that you realize that even now this late in the Great American Game that we still have the Power. Power hard coded into the uS Denizens lives by that old piece of almost useless paper.

Up to us to either repair the usurpations by the elected criminal class, or tear the whole fuckin' thing down and try again. Not sure what will happen, but being an uninterested bystander when it happens won't be an option for you city dwellers. Even for we more ruralites, there will be things happening when shit flies..

Might as well rock hard to this PA based band.. "Music for the Second American Revolution".

Only the willingly ignorant cannot see and smell the changes wafting in the winds of time present and history.

k, halfassed historian, geologist, scootertrash, net tech and armed idiot, FL

I don't think it's beyond repair, but it will continue to be fucked up if people keep up the apathy.

Apathy is a rational response in the face of a hopeless situation. Even if voters woke up, how would that keep politicians from pandering to special interests once they are elected?

Exactly.

The system, as it stands now (and as Vharokar has pointed out so many times), has a crucial flaw: Once elected, there's exists no method to ensure politicians make good on their campaign promises. Sure, we can decide not to re-elect them* to office come the next election cycle, but by then the damage has been done. It's like putting a bandage over the scar of a severed limb.

Until there's a way to hold politicians accountable while they're in office, (one that doesn't require all the bullshit and red tape impeachment is subject to) they're effectively given carte blanche to do with as they please during that term.

*Though, with the rise of Diebold and the dawning of the (usually paperless) electronic voting era, our ability even to do this much is now suspect.