Goodbye Jesus

Is The Military A Cult?

Wendybabe

I used to think that the Marines were pretty much a cult when I was in the AF. But there was nothing religious about it...

I see a lot of this kind of comment going around the thread. I'm pretty sure that's not what she's asking in the OP. I think she's trying to boil down religious-cultism to the same common denominator as military training. Both have incorporated mind and mob control, and have nothing to do with actual religion in the military.

DLI...What language? I am an old Yale Mandarin troop myself..class of '61. I am assuming that you were a member of the linear descendent of the old U.S.A.F. Security Service (the new name seems to change everytime you turn around and I can't keep track of it)? - Heimdall :yellow:

I took Russian basic in '79, before they moved the Russian dept. to Texas. It was an intelligence job when I went thru school. Never got to be a linguist, though, cuz they lost my clearance. :shrug:

I don't think the Marines are an actual cult, but they do seem to display more cult-like behavior than the other services, IMHO.

Well, I don't want to see this thread die, because I think the OP raises a very interesting inquiry. There are common denominators in human behavior and behavior modification which are susceptible to certain methods of influence. For example, both the military and religious cults use the scrutiny of the social group as a way to keep behavioral deviation in check. Not so different from influences seen in everyday life for the rest of it, but on a much more intensive widespread scale, pervading every action and thought of the subject