Goodbye Jesus

What To Do About A Jesus Freak Professor?

LosingMyReligion

I'm currently enrolled in a humanities course this summer. This is my last course before I, officially, graduate from college.

Anyway, my minor is history and I was really looking forward to taking this humanities course. I'm doing it at a Junior college because it's closer to my house and less expensive. That aside, my humanities professor is a moron, putting it bluntly...

Don't me wrong she's really nice but I think she became a professor based on nepotism as opposed to any knowledge of her subject matter. Last week we studied the collective history of Greece and Rome(my two FAVORITE ancient cultures), and it was astonishing how woefully ignorant she is...

For instance, we began disscussing the tragic playwrites Sophocles and Euripedes(two of my favorite writers). Well, to make a long story short, the professor made the erroneous comment that Antigone was the SON of king Creon. Okay, at first I thought she was joking...but she continued the class discussion saying that, and none of the other students offered a rebuttal. So I bit the bullet and said, "Uhm...Antigone was Oedipus' daughter by his mother...She was in a feud with Creon." And she actually started debating with me about that...So I opened the textbook and showed her. She was humiliated, to say the least, and started apologizing to the class...

Then she started making all of these comments about hating the Romans because they crucified Jesus...To which I replied, "Jesus was not the first person in history to be crucified." Finally, another student elucidated upon how crucifixtion actually worked...

Today was the worst. We got to the chapter about Israel and the rise of the Christian religion...You can pretty much already fill in the blanks on this one. Instead of actually teaching and discussing the subject matter she proselytized the whole goddamn time. I felt like I was attending mass and not a community college course.

She told us that she valued our opinions, and that we were free to discuss...HOWEVER, in the same breath, she started talking about how, "Man is god's finest creation," and "that evolution is not the truth...You can't get order from chaos," and various other bullshit. Then she started talking about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict..

Okay, I am no way anti-semitic but I felt like her simplification--in favour of the Israelies--of the entire situation was retarded. According to her the Palestinians are just degenerates who are harbringers of the anti-christ...

She basically one of those Jesus freaks that have decided to kiss Jew ass in order to garner brownie points from Jesus...

So, I'm sitting there watching my fingernails grow when I ask her a question..."Professor, why is X-tianity considered Monotheistic when it is actually polytheistic?" She gave the same bullshit answer that all fundies do, "Oh they're all one!"

Look, I love to discuss the Bible in class...However, I feel that it is appropriate to do so in the context of examination and critiqing. She let it be known that she holds the babble as sacred, which effectively told the students(well me atleast) that any attempt to talk about the Bible would be rebuffed.

I don't like her because she is very educated and sort of Racist. She's Mexican, and she actually told us that Latinos founded the Roman Empire. Furthermore, whenever there are no white people in the class she sorta makes sly offensive comments...Not overtly racist but I can hear the subtle undertones.

I really don't care for her, and I wonder what should I do? Should I tell her that her evangelizing in class is inappropriate? I'm just trying to get my degree, but I hate when history is bastardized by a PROFESSOR of a humanities course.

Ugh - I'd probably storm out of that class or else argue with her till the end of it.

Sad to think that such numskulls can get degrees and teach for a living. But, academia isn't known for having perfect people in it, so loons like this one aren't unheard of.

Wow, LMR! This is just un-freakin'believable. In a state junior college?

Can you go to the head of the humanities department (or the dean) with some documentation of her preaching? This just doesn't sound right...

Of course, since it's your last class and then you'll be done, you probably just want to take the mid-term, final and get the hell outta Dodge. Totally understandable that you would not want to rock the boat, piss the TrueBeliever off and get a crappy grade. :ugh:

That's pretty scary. Especially for me, as I'm doing Theology and Philosophy at uni. I'm counting on a bunch of largely atheistic philosophers to keep me sane in the midst of a bunch of trainee priests!

Okay, I am no way anti-semitic but I felt like her simplification--in favour of the Israelies--of the entire situation was retarded.

That anyone even has to say they aren't anti-Semitic just because they are more in favour of the Palestinians in the conflict is horrific. The Right have done well at projecting their own racism on everyone who is against Israel's violations of human rights.

It strikes me that this is the price Americans have to pay for living in the United Christian States of America. This "professor" would be not allowed to do that in an Australian school or College. This is why so many Americans are being poorly educated and qualified Scientists are getting hard to find. Too many Jesus freaks peddling the lies in the "holey babble" making out it is the "Word of God". Bloody Hell: What "God"?

I would like to know what use are courses like Theology, Philosophy and Humanities. What use are they to mankind?

America needs another Revolution to rid the country of this stupid religion.

Eccles,

Simply that they cast a new and interesting lights on our Western civilization, it reminds us all that a long time ago we weren't mad about religions of crosses, crescents and torahs, we simply had very human gods, we were honest about ourselves and we could be smart yet we had flaws. It also helps us in understanding James Joyce's Ulysses, how Christianity came into being, inspired Joanne Rowling, countless other authors, contributed immeasurably to art, history, politics, philosophy, rationalism, languages, influencing our outlooks, values, ethics and it can help us to understand how our collective cultures came to be about. Not to mention this knowledge of these subjects (Except for Theology- it makes you look like a Jesus freak even if you're not one...) makes us look like a well educated Renaissance person and that helps us in getting jobs, lol.

LosingMyReligion, it would be a good idea to take umbrage at her and refer her to the leaders of this university. She will be suffering of shame but it means that she wouldn't be infecting other people with her own brand of dishonesty and it will enable the university in question to be even more respected. Good luck in getting rid of her. :)

she actually told us that Latinos founded the Roman Empire.

...WHAT?! :twitch:

I agree that you should report her to the school, though you may need to wait until you've successfully completed the class. Maybe you can record some of her more inane rants as evidence.

While you're waiting, it sound like you should have no trouble catching her in a major error in bible history. That might really be fun!

Try to get more details about the Latinos who founded the Roman empire, too! Can she name names?

I would report the situation now, in writing, rather than waiting to the end of the term. If for some reason she gives you a lousy grade, it'll look more like bias on her part and less like sour grapes on yours.

Make sure you document her lack of knowledge of the subject material, as many examples as you can find.

LMR,

The lack of teaching ability, failure to use the cirric, and a total failure to be able to teach, impart to you, the paying customer, knowledge necessary to complete your edumusHkayshunz is the issue at hand.

Fuggin' idiot and her sectarian bent needs reported, but I would marginalize that, prefering to go after instructors total lack of credentials and abilities. Then you can *ice your complaint cake* with her dumbassedly swiping xtianity into your course materials, using that to preach rather than educate..

If you need some formatting help PM me, or feel free to contact me via the IM services. What worked for me *might be* construed as legal advise.. While I do play a lawyer, and a damn good one!, on the Net, the Honduran doctorate is still a touch wet to hang on wall in office..

kL

She basically one of those Jesus freaks that have decided to kiss Jew ass in order to garner brownie points from Jesus...

Silly me, I didn't even know these people existed. Wouldn't that be somewhat of an oxymoron?

That anyone even has to say they aren't anti-Semitic just because they are more in favour of the Palestinians in the conflict is horrific. The Right have done well at projecting their own racism on everyone who is against Israel's violations of human rights.

And this would be more anti-zionism rather than anti-semetism.

she actually told us that Latinos founded the Roman Empire.

...WHAT?! :twitch:

Well, ummm...they did speak Latin!

I really don't care for her, and I wonder what should I do? Should I tell her that her evangelizing in class is inappropriate? I'm just trying to get my degree, but I hate when history is bastardized by a PROFESSOR of a humanities course.

Your teacher is incredibly stupid and unprofessional. This is not as rare as it should be, especially at community colleges. Universities weed 'em out better, but one still finds them.

Complete the course and receive the credit, documenting her missteps all the way. Send in a report to her dean and the president. Maybe she will be denied tenure. You never know what the deal may be; they may be aware of the problem and preparing to ditch her already, or she might be screwing somebody. Send in your report, and you have done what you can.

why not write the dean a formal letter, something to the effect of what you already stated here? as RB stated, wait to the end of the semester.

Thanks guys. And I am going to take all of your advice...

I have been documenting everything she's said(hell, christianity is the basis of her powerpoint presentations!), and I fully intend on writing a formal letter to the dean or the president! Sometimes, I want to call her on her bullshit but then I think, "Naw...I'll just be giving her fodder for when she goes to church on Sunday...about how "satan" is in her class..." and blase, blase, blase...Oh, to top that off she goes to rat faced Joel Osteen's church.

It is really hard for me to bite my tongue because I am the type of person to tell someone when they are wrong. And it sucks that the rest of the students are just mindless drones...They don't even give a shit. They just sit there and sleep...LOL. Well, I can't blame them. But when we were discussing the Greeks and Romans she started pissing me off. She couldn't even pronounce the names of their Gods and Goddesses correctly...

I only have three more weeks in the course(thankfully summer school is brief!)...hopefully I don't grind my teeth away. But I will be reporting her and writing a formal complaint.

FYI...

Her older brother also teaches in this community college district...So she definitely had to get in via nepotism!

When I first left Christianity I was still searching. I had gone back to school for a year to attempt to acclimate myself back into society. I was in a community college where I was taking a philosophy course. My teacher was Chinese, still had a heavy accent, and he was a Christian. Every day in class he seemed to allude more and more to Christianity in his lectures. I was extremely shy to speak of anything anti-Christian at the time, but also bound and determined to leave Christianity behind for good. About 2 weeks into the semester, in class one day, I very politely reminded him that most of us were raised Christian. I also said that I recently left Christianity and that I took that philosophy class to gain a different point of view. He did not say much, however he responded immediately by not presenting a Christian perspective any more and the class was quite enjoyable.

He was an intelligent teacher, by the way, not a dummy like the one you are referring to. A word to the wise is sufficient. In your case, you may have to bring it up to a board.

Remember the feedback survey on the professor! Just say how inappropriate she was.

I REALLY want to hear what is being said about the Greeks and Romans. That's an area I can comment on, to some degree.

I haven't had this problem, fortunately. I took separate classes on the Old and New Testaments at the Community College here when I was still a xtian. They examined the Bible from a literary and historical point of view and the professor was very good, and impartial. I remember a week or two after the start of the OT class he took one woman out into the hall for a chat because she kept trying to preach in class. :HaHa: She dropped the class. I guess I never really was a fundy, even when I was still a xtian I thought it would be highly inappropriate to espouse a religious point of view in a public institution.

A teacher like this would make my blood boil, then and now. I probably wouldn't wait for the end of the semester to complain, I'd do my damnedest to make her lose her job. I tend to have little regard for grades. That's probably why I have a General Studies Associates degree 3/4 of the way finished and switched to a different program. :shrug: I stopped going to a speech class 3/4 of the way through the semester cause the professor was a bitch and I couldn't stand her anymore. The woman had the most draconian attendance policy I'd ever seen. If you got to class 2 seconds late, she counted you as absent. Either 3 or 5 absences, I can't remember, and she'd drop your grade for the course, no exceptions. I'm the one paying for the damn course, it's my time, not hers.

Oh dear, I had to walk out of class today...

Long story short we got into a discussion about the Holy Crusades and of course she sided with the Christian Crusaders. Well, somehow the subject got on the war in Iraq. Cutting right to the chase she said, "You all need to support the troops over there, because they are doing great work defending our nation against the enemy." and then she said, "Don't vote for Hilary Clinton, because she doesn't want what is best for this country..."

I was too fucking through, and I grabbed my bag and walked out...

I am typing a letter to the dean as I type!

What is she trying to do indoctrinate us? Goddamn!

Oh dear, I had to walk out of class today...

Long story short we got into a discussion about the Holy Crusades and of course she sided with the Christian Crusaders. Well, somehow the subject got on the war in Iraq. Cutting right to the chase she said, "You all need to support the troops over there, because they are doing great work defending our nation against the enemy." and then she said, "Don't vote for Hilary Clinton, because she doesn't want what is best for this country..."

I was too fucking through, and I grabbed my bag and walked out...

I am typing a letter to the dean as I type!

What is she trying to do indoctrinate us? Goddamn!

That's ridiculous.

And I thought the universities were controlled by "the commies."

:twitch:

Send it certified mail with a requested receipt, to the dean, her and the local ACLU, if for nothing else then to have it documented and as a sign your not taking bullshit. Tell them if you were interested in dogma you wouldn’t be shelling out greenbacks to their school, you could get a lobotomy for free on Sundays at your local Christ hangout called church. What complete bullshit,:Wendywhatever:

I suppose slapping the shit outta her is not a good solution?

Sadly, that is the price we pay for going to a community college. The one I go to has a physicans assitant, lawyer, auto mechanic, farmer, and just about anyone else to teach, whether or not they have the schooling and credintials or not.

I was greatly disappointed in my philosophy class, especially when my teacher (who was a middle aged woman) started bitching at Aristotle for claiming women are defective and underdevolped men, and men are responsible for adding the soul to an infant, and she even went as far to refer to him as "Ari" or something equally dumb.

And then she would start talking religion abit, and painfully remember she does have a course to teach and will be evaluated at the end of the course.

One assignment we had, was to do something different that isn't a part of our routine. I have absolutly no idea how that partains to a philosophy 101 course, but she was rather shocked when I wrote a page about offering my room mate a hit off my bong that was filled with high quality Canadian weed, and kindly accepting the door-to-door religion salesman's literature, rather than tell them how the Bible is filled with lies and it is Jesus, not Satan, who is the great deciever, and that Satan is actually a very good role model.

I would like to know what use are courses like Theology, Philosophy and Humanities. What use are they to mankind?

Actually, it was a Philosophy of Religion course that first hit me over the head w/ the idea that christianity might just be a big lie. An ignorant fundy professor could ruin ANY class. The problem isn't allowing humanities - the problem is allowing professors like that to exist. She should be fired, no question.

America needs another Revolution to rid the country of this stupid religion.

Hear hear!