Goodbye Jesus

Asatru

Thurisaz

I really like your religion the way you live it....I grudgingly admit.

:yellow::HaHa:

...I think that ethics demand a respect for reality as it really is....I am focused on that and I have made some progress...but need more work. I am trying.

Ain't that something we all (have to) do? ;)

I really like your religion the way you live it....I grudgingly admit.

:yellow::HaHa:

...I think that ethics demand a respect for reality as it really is....I am focused on that and I have made some progress...but need more work. I am trying.

Ain't that something we all (have to) do? ;)

Yea.

I still think it is a good thing that ideas or beliefs are questioned though.

I am trying to figure out the best way to hold anti-theism. After Islam and Christianity ya can't blame us for being nervous.

I am not going to post in your thread here anymore.

A lot of people do not know much about your religion. Heathen minds wanna know....from people who practice it.

:)

Yes. Be doubtful and test everything. Seek the answers to all your questions through your own inspection.

Yes. Be doubtful and test everything. Seek the answers to all your questions through your own inspection.

given mankind's current instrumentation the range is 10-35m to ~4.3x1010 light years from memory (Planck's length to the diameter of the observable universe)

Wanted to do this for quite some time, finally remember it right in front of my puter...

...so, you hear the term Asatru, what goes through your mind? Anything you'd like to point out or ask about that bizarre heathen faith I adhere to? ;)

(I'm definitely not the best person to ask something about this religion, but heck with it, I'll try :) )

My answer isn't going to be exactly fair because I read everything that is posted here. However, here is what I thought before I read the other posts. Somewhere on this forum sometime since I joined I came across a name for a god that starts with A and is related to (sounds similar to) Esther or Easter. (I know the difference because my baby sister's name is Esther and at one time I spelled it wrong--Easter, which didn't go over very well.) Both those names/words would, I assume, be more Jewish than anything else. You don't at all come across to me as Jewish.

Under your avatar you identify as a "warrior of Thor." I have heard the name Thor before this and somehow, I have been of the opinion that your religion (if it counts as such) is pretty "far out there" as in Paganism. I gather from this thread that that is pretty accurate. Exactly what I would have said if I had answered before reading the other posts is not something I know for sure.

QUESTION: Isn't Thor the god of thunder? Just picking my memory here and I might be totally wrong. On the other hand, in your sig you say "my god carries a hammer," and the sound of a hammer on a plank floor above my head sounds a great deal like thunder. The plank floor I am thinking of is the upper floor of the barn on the old homestead where I grew up.

Thanks for listing that page for sources. If only I had time to read all the interesting stuff! I am deeply interested in, and know practically nothing about, preChristian Europe. Yet my ancestral roots go directly to the Germanic lands. A few years ago I did a bit of reading on the German peasants' war of 1525. I felt like I had stumbled across my own people. The culture has not changed worth mentioning in all these centuries. But that is totally off-topic. I think what you are talking about pre-dates them by half a thousand years.

QUESTION: Isn't Thor the god of thunder? Just picking my memory here and I might be totally wrong. On the other hand, in your sig you say "my god carries a hammer," and the sound of a hammer on a plank floor above my head sounds a great deal like thunder. The plank floor I am thinking of is the upper floor of the barn on the old homestead where I grew up.

:)

Yes, Thor (AKA Donar, among other names... one can easily recognize the link to "thunder" and the German equivalent "Donner") is mainly the God of Thunder. He was also traditionally seen as protector of the common people, strongest warrior of the Gods, and he played (and still plays if you ask us ;) ) a role in consecrating and blessing things, people and ceremonies. :)

• 2 years later...

Here is an URL: http://www.asatru.org/

I am of Scotch, Irish, Welsh, German, Dutch, and Native Indian descent so I guess I cover just about all of Northern beliefs?

I find myself wanting to explore the Norse gods as well. I would really dig seeing Valkyrie coming for me when I die. I like the thought of Valhalla and my family waiting for me. I like to think of these things but I am not completely sold on the ideas--oh, me of little faith!

Holy crap! What the hell happened to Varokhar? Wow...

What do you believe about Ragnarok? Is it a myth, or something that you think will really happen?

Good question isn't it? :)

Well I trust we all agree that the world will end one day, far into the future as it might be. The question is therefore when and how.

Personally, I'm not even sure that the Ragnarok thing was "genuine" or something assimilated from the morontheists. Keep in mind that we have very very little source material from the times before the jebus death cultists came to the lands of the ancestors. I guess that at least that hint that with the new world there will come a new god (that's right, one god, in an officially polytheist myth!), greater than all who were there before is a morontheist idea.

As it doesn't really affect my life whether The End will be like Ragnarok or not, I don't think or worry much about it :)

(As to where do the Gods go when they die, well, Baldur went to Hel after his death - according to the sagas - so if we want to play the "literalist game", I guess every God would end up there... until Ragnarok. After that, good question again :) )

Holy crap! What the hell happened to Varokhar? Wow...

You don't want to know.

I did. And since then I regret having asked. :banghead: