Goodbye Jesus

House Divided

junkpoet

I can certainly understand your situation. I found this site soon after I decided that literal Christianity (American Baptist) just didn't make sense to me and I was exploring the more liberal varieties along with some other faiths. It eventually led to me thinking that it didn't make sense for me to ditch one belief system with only a book for proof only to go to another one so I became happily agnostic and figure I'll stay agnostic.

My first post here was "scared to tell the wife", and that really fit my thinking at the time. She grew up in a very religious, although pretty much non-practicing, family. (Growing up her family stopped going to church every Sunday when her mother was told that real Christian don't smoke). While we were dating I was "saved" so we were married in a little Baptist church and went to church 2 or 3 times a week. I had read a lot of posts here about families breaking up over religious differences and I really was scared that it could be the end of us. And to me it seemed a very stupid reason for a relationship to end.

But I consider myself lucky in that when the subject finally came up, my wife didn't really seem that affected. Sure, she seemed disappointed and I know she talked to her family and friends from church, but not much has really changed. Now we are at a point where we just accept that each of us have a different world view and it's not that big of a deal. We don't have kids yet and I know there will be an issue at some point, but we've been through a lot as a couple so I know we'll get through that as well.

I really didn't want to hijack your thread, but wanted you to know that there are some of us that have come through a "unequally yoked family" without it ending the marriage. It may be ugly for a while, but it may be ok at the end.

Tought position man. On the one hand, your wife's compromises are very admirable and you should make sure she knows that you appreciate it.

On the other hand, my wife and I talk about everything. We both went from fundy-ish charismatic wacko to agnostic together (with me leading the way, her asking tough questions, back and forth). She still holds out hope that there is some sort of creator-type deity out there, I'm hard-core atheist, but that is a minor difference that causes no disruptions. Religion was so all-encompassing and pervasive before. I can't imagine becoming an ex-c and not being able to discuss it with my life-partner.

Wish I had a great answer for you......