Goodbye Jesus

What Would Make You A Christian Again?

bush country

I would have to see proof that a supernatural reality as described in the bible actually exists. I would have to see proof that heaven and hell are actually real places. I would have to see proof that the universe actually is as the bible describes it - small and three-tiered. I would have to see proof that the earth is flat and that it doesn't move. I would need to understand why it would be acceptable for the vast majority of mankind to be barbecued without mercy for eternity, and I would need to understand how a "God of Love" could actually plan and allow such a thing. I would need to understand how a Divine Salvation Plan with an approximately 90% failure rate could be considered a success. I would need to hold an intelligent conversation with a talking snake and a talking donkey. I would need to be allowed to examine a living unicorn and cockatrice. I would want to understand how Jesus managed to make it through the upper atmosphere without freezing to death or having His clothes blown off by the wind while He was flying to Heaven, and I would like to know how He managed to breathe in the vacuum of outer space. I would have to see Elvis and John Wayne and others (such as John Ritter and Don Knotts - god they were hilarious as Jack Tripper and Ralph Furley on "Three's Company"!) who just can't really be dead raised from the dead.

I would have to be instantly and miraculously cured of Bipolar Disorder, and I would need to know why my prayers for healing (before I was even diagnosed and knew what was wrong with me) were never answered.

I would need to understand why praying to a chair has the exact same outcome as praying to god. Sometimes the Chair says "YES!" Sometimes the Chair says "NO!" and sometimes the Chair, in it's infinite wisdom, says "Not right now" or it answers my prayer in some other way that is better than what I asked for. Same with god. I would need to understand why when someone prays for something like a job and then goes out and makes it happen themselves that god gets the credit and not the person who actually did the work.

I would have to see proof that alcohol and pot and scantily-clad beautiful women and live AC/DC concerts are allowed in Heaven, because Heaven without those things would be Hell. :grin:

Goodbye Jesus

NOTHING could persuade me to follow the blood cult, even if the buybull were true*, I have higher standards and a higher regard for human life then that of the buybull god.

* The buybull has the same chance of being true as does Jack and the beanstalk and a giant who lives in the clouds..

It would take both the talking snake and the talking donkey for me to believe.

Edit: Darn Brother Jeff beat me to it!

Chance of me becoming Christian: As close to zero as makes no odds.

Even if everything in the Bible were proved to be true, I find the religion abhorrent.

What would make me a Christian AGAIN???

First I'd have to become a Christian to begin with. It is true that I professed and practiced Christianity for the best part of half a century because I was born into it and life depended on it. I did this with the full confidence that as I got older I would become a true Christian. I think a true Christian believes without a doubt that God exists and that humans are sinful and in need of salvation, and that this salvation comes through belief in the death and resurrection of Jesus, Son of God.

I was a true Old Order Mennonite because that is the religious culture I was born into much like Catholics are Catholics by virtue of being born into it, but I don't think I ever was a true Christian because I could never truly believe. God did not provide answers to my questions, did not answer my prayers for a meaningful career however humble, and apparently could not so much as forgive a single human error without a blood sacrifice. Yet I--a mere mortal--could forgive major offenses against my person without so much as an admission of wrong-doing from anyone. Possibly I could have forgiven God all of this if only God would have explained what changed when Jesus died so that humans could get to heaven; why humans get couldn't get to heaven just as good before Jesus' death and resurrrection as after? God never obliged me with an answer to this. Neither did any of his theologians or pastors or preachers or other wise ones.

I will no longer lie. In other words, I will no longer profess to believe what I cannot believe because that is lying, pure and simple.

There's more. In order for me to believe that there is a god or deity of any sort there would have to be evidence that no "god" experience could be stimulated artificially with electricity by trained scientists. All the other "evidence" for a "god spot" or "god gene" in the human psyche would have to be wiped out, too, or sufficiently explained away.

For being true to my deepest convictions some Christians treat me as though I were willfully disobedient and monstrously evil. Even if they treated me most lovingly, as many Christians do, I could not become a Christian because I would still have to violate personal integrity and I will not do that.

Now I found my answer on the other thread:

A logical explanation of what cosmic change occurred when Jesus died that makes it possible for God to admit us to heaven but that made it impossible before Jesus' death. Unless there was a literal change on the level of the cosmos the Plan of Salvation makes no sense. There seems not to have been such a change. Therefore it is impossible for me to believe that I am saved through the shed blood of Jesus. That inability to believe this key tenet of the Christian faith automatically disqualifies me of membership in the religion.

I think I measure up in every other way, and therefore I trust that if God exists and if there is an afterlife, God will admit me to heaven. I know that is the sort of thing that makes the fundies scream but they are not God and they don't sit in judgment of me. If they presume to judge me--as some of them do--they are in for a suprise because I don't accept their judgment.

Well, to be a xian would mean to be "christ-like." I am. I don't listen to the orthodox "powers that be." I don't follow the "scripture." I tell others to disobey the "law" of some "god." On the other hand I try not to make promises that I can't/won't keep. If I say I'll be back "soon" I try to be back in a reasonable amount of time or I call and let people know I'll be late. I also don't tell everyone what a great guy my dad is but then go around acting like a jerk so that dad gets a bad name on my account (likewise if dad was a douche bag I don't go around telling everyone how super great he is and they deserved all those things he did to them).

But no jesus appearing to me will make me "worship" him. How can I be sure it is really him? A warning was given that if I heard jesus was here or there or wherever not to believe it. So only disappearing in a magical *puff* (or however it will be done) as the two in the field, or the bed or wherever will be evidence that it is him (didn't Paul hear any of this?). At that point it really doesn't matter because then any number of "end times" events will happen where we all go to the Egyptian lake of fire for the 2nd death (yes, they have one).

mwc

At this point, I don't think anything could bring me back to christianity. It would be like trying to unscramble an egg. Even if there were some kind of supernatural event, I would likely respond with an "I'll think about it."

There you go... "Gee-ZUSS! Unscramble this man's egg!..." ;)

Probably something on the order of Christ appearing in front of me and us have a face-to-face conversation. Even as a child I used to wonder-- they say he's alive, but where is he? He would have to show up, that is the miniumum requirement. Then we would take it from that point to other issues.

What she said!

If God proved to me he existed, he'd still have to prove that what the bible says was misinterpreted or just plan wrong.

An imaginary tyranny or a real tyranny gets the same response from me.

Non servium. I will not serve.

I don't know. I don't know if I could ever become a Christian again. I'd have to be utterly convinced that it was true. Nothing less than a direct, personal revelation from god could affect that kind of change.

I'd probably need something more than what happened to Saul on the road to Damascus; I'd probably need something more concrete, like what Thomas was given. I don't know though.

It would take both the talking snake and the talking donkey for me to believe.
What else, Mike? :scratch:

There's one more thing that would make you believe, and you forgot to mention it... :Hmm:

:HaHa:

I do follow some of Jesus actions and words because they fit my set of morals right now but others I can't except... to some degree he has lived a life of a hero and inspired others to do as he did. This also is the way I follow Mahat Magandi or Mother Theresa or the teaching of my best friends... Because it makes sense!

And then again: Cu Chulinn was the son of Lugh. It's just the same as with Jesus. If only his God would not exclued other Gods from the believe in him...

If my Gods exist I can not say JHWH (or how to name him :unsure::wacko::lmao: ) does not.

Does any of that points above makes me a xtian?

If a god would scare the Hell out of me AND I could not find any other God which would help me to escape his tyranny I would follow his orders because I'd have to but not willingly or with heart.

And I could quote 'מה טב' 'TexasFreethinker' and most of it all Eric: if i were in the christian afterlife i would believe it.

I could not actually believe the nonsense, but for a million dollars or so I will fake it for a ten year period.

I am a whore, but I'm not cheap.

What else, Mike? :scratch:

There's one more thing that would make you believe, and you forgot to mention it... :Hmm:

:HaHa:

Oh no, I forgot the satyrs!

If someone can arrange a meeting for me with the talking donkey, the talking snake, and at least on satyr, i'll believe!

I stand corrected :HaHa:

If the Rapture happened, I would definitely reconsider. If Jesus returned, or if God appeared to me personally, I would reconsider. Other than that, not a chance. I'm so glad to be out of that cult!

I don't consider the rapture good enough reason to become part of God's team. If anything, it would prove to me what an asshole the God of the Bible is...I will not bow down to tyranny, no matter how powerful. I will not bow to a God who has threatened to kill all people, no matter how they lived their lives, and pick a select few to save.

Sounds elitist to me.

Hey, do you think the whole Rapture thing was to get the Aristocrats on board wit hthe early church....the select few MUST have meant the royal family and all those pure blood snots, and not the average peasant or shopkeeper.

If the Rapture happened, I'll be the one trying to save all the innocent poeple from God's evil minions (your ones sent to kill everyone not Christian in the End Times).