Goodbye Jesus

Unitarian Universalism

Guest xyz3

and if they take their teeth out, until you feel the tongue, you don't know which end you have...

First impression, "Damn, everyone is so fucking old." I was probably one of 3 people there under 50. And the majority were MUCH older than even that.

Oddly enough, my friend says the same thing about the UU church he'll be speaking at and I might visit. Maybe it's just a Florida thing. I can't imagine senior citizens having a monopoly on a UU mindset.

My church definately has that older population, but also has a 20-30 something population join it in the past few years. I've even been roped into joining a committee, and my wife is now a board of governor, as an effort to bring young blood into the leadership postitions.

Can I admit that I am not comfortable at all being in a position of making decisions. Tough enough some Sunday mornings to decide on going to church, and they want me, on Religious Education, to make decisions that impacts the education of the children....yikes. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going to a UU church since mid July. The first time I went I enjoyed every single moment of it. I read up on UUism and what the church was like so I wasnt surprised at the love bombing. The first time I went a guest Wiccan spoke. He spoke about Goddesses and the history of them. Though I am atheist, I was able to get a message from it and would of enjoyed it anyways because of my interest in beliefs and religions.

ALOT of people started talking to me. I too am in Florida and my church is also overrun with old people. :D Though, its about half old people and the other half middle aged and down. But it doesnt bother me at all. Everyone is really friendly.

I stayed for second hour with the youth group. Which was freaking small. Just me and 2 other teenagers and the teacher. (They have around 16 other kids but they are too young.) Both of them were visitors too. One of them was pantheist and the other one was agnostic I think. We talked about ourselves, our beliefs, and the service.

The church has a freethought and humanist group which I love.

I knew I was home the day I visited. Most of the church people are ex christians and have talked about their deconversion and moving on and everything. Which was the thing that surprised me. Even though I knew that the church was really liberal, it was such a shock to hear people say that they dont believe in Christianity anymore but they now believe in X/dont believe at all. I had actually never heard anyone say they weren't christians before that day. (Outside of the internet.) I was surprised and happy how open the place was.

Though, I only know the actual beliefs of few people. Some that are atheist/agnostic and some that are theists (with different forms of it. Some christian-y, others not) I dont know about everyone else. But I do know that everyone at this church, and I'd think all UU churches, are humanists in one form or another. People are always put first.

The UU church that I've been to lately also has a lot of old people. The first time I went, I got much the same impression as FL, but I've been a few times since and it seems that I showed up on a particulaly 'old' sunday. Seems like the crowd changes quite a bit every week, and it turns out that there are quite a few people within my 25-35 age range.

I still haven't made up my mind about the place, and I'm in no big hurry to do so. Some 'services' have been interesting; some have been boring. But I like what they stand for, and I've met several interesting people so far. Not ready to call myself a UU yet or likely any time soon, but I'll probably show up again for a fourth (or fifth?) time on sunday.

i dont think there's uu in my place here----- but i think it'll be kinda of interesting and comforting to know and understand other religion and thier norms.

Nothing wrong with that...

So basically, it's a social club for nice people. -_-

For many people it is. For some they get active in human rights causes (can't tell you how many times I've been asked to sign a petition for Darfur or some other human rights cause).

The part I like about it, Christians and Jews and Gays and Atheists and New Agers and Secular Humanists and Teenagers and Old Folks all come together each Sunday and act civil to each other, sharing service, and the all important coffee hour. No one is judged for what their personal path is.

Plus, we get to have real adult activities set up by the church, like wine tastings. That was a lot of fun.

The part I like about it, Christians and Jews and Gays and Atheists and New Agers and Secular Humanists and Teenagers and Old Folks all come together each Sunday and act civil to each other, sharing service, and the all important coffee hour. No one is judged for what their personal path is.

Amen!

And all hail the holy coffee hour! :thanks:

• 2 weeks later...

UUs are ex-Christians who still feel guilty about leaving the church. They started their own church and that's okay in my book but please, no door to door knockers.

UUs are ex-Christians who still feel guilty about leaving the church. They started their own church and that's okay in my book but please, no door to door knockers.

I don't feel guilty at all for leaving Christianity ("...the church").

Which is the old joke:

Q: What do you get when you cross a UU with a Jehovah Witness?

A: Someone who goes door to door asking you what you believe.

Of the UUs I know, the LAST thing on their mind is active converting, especially door to door (that kind of activity is why many do run from more mainstream versions of religion).....though some are trying to figure out ways to get the word out that we are here and open to people joining. It was likened to a car garage deep in the woods run my a master mechanic. Great place to go, if you can find it.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with Unitarian Universalism. What do you think about it? It seems to me to be an attractive looking alternative to both hard atheism and dogmatic religion, but I've never been to an actual church and am only beginning to learn about it.

I loved it as a religion. Absolutely loved it and I have a lot of respect for it. I even still have some of my UU t-shirts.

But the services were still too much like 'church' for me to want to continue after a while. I never really enjoyed that part of it. The other programs UU churches sometimes have interested me more than the main services, usually.

Q: What do you get when you cross a UU with a Jehovah Witness?

A: Someone who goes door to door asking you what you believe.

The answer I've heard is:

"Someone who knocks on your door, but doesn't know why."

Oddly enough, my friend says the same thing about the UU church he'll be speaking at and I might visit. Maybe it's just a Florida thing. I can't imagine senior citizens having a monopoly on a UU mindset.

I went to two during a year that I lived in South Florida. I lived about halfway between them and they were both fairly inconvenient to get to from where I was (which is why I tried them both).

One was in Hollywood and the other was farther south, I forgot exactly where... but it was a very strangely-shaped building that looked like a cross between an enormous trilobite and a concrete tent.

Actually, more than one of the several UU churches I've been to have had very unique architecture.

• 4 weeks later...

I've went to a UU church before. Before I moved here to Denver, CO I attended the First UU Church of Houston and now, well, now I am just sleeping in. But I have attended the First Unitarian Society of Denver (once).