Goodbye Jesus

Joel Osteen

lemon

Apologies if he has been discussed before. I was watching a news segmant (headline news channel) about Joel Osteen's new book, Become a better you. According to the segmant, his 7 principles contain nothing about Jesus (which is a requirement in order to be considered real christianity by fundies). This all makes him a complex character in my eyes. I really don't know how to approach his message as far as it being christian or not. What I am wondering is, how do ex-christians generally perceive someone like Joel Osteen? I.e. do you feel that his "message" is harmful like Pat Robertson's? Would you consider his teachings to be an alternative to christianity? Before leaving the faith, I pretty much followed the fundie view of this man. Now, I am not so sure. To make a long story short, I am very interested in reading the thoughts of others.

He's just another form of the typical Jesus huckster you see on Xtian TV. He just wears nicer suits and a bigger smile. Don't be fooled by this guy. He's the devil in disquise.

:fdevil:

Olsteen isn't so sweet.

Oh - I don't know. Nobody hates gays so openly as a pastor who lives in the closet himself.

Ted Haggard comes to mind...

• 1 month later...

this guy is just too nice. i don't trust him.

60 Minutes had a segment on him on Sunday. Most Fundies seemed to attack him for only talking about the good and nice things in the Bible, and glossing over the painful stuff.

I can't imagine sitting in his converted basketball arena of a church. Too big and impersonal of an experience.

If anyone were to gain the "Great Deciever" medal from the Fundies, it would be someone like him, decieving Christians away from the True Faith.

I wonder if Osteen ever had a Bill Hicks moment:

"It's great to be here. I thank you. Ah, I've been on the road doing comedy for ten years now, so bear with me while I plaster on a fake smile and plough through this shit one more time."

Fuck...

I'm right jealous.

Cat's got a better paying, less stressful paying gig than I do, and making 150x the coinage.

Some buncha suckers gotta want to hear this cat's verbage, they keep paying for it..

kFL

I remember seeing his father on TV 10-15 years ago, when I watched a lot of the local Xtian channel. Pop Osteen always seemed rather stern to me; maybe it was just the way he looked. Joel must have decided that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It sounds to me like he is trying to be the charismatic version of Robert Schuller.

He just reminds me of a socially awkward high school guy with really bad acne (he has bad acne scars) that people are nice to because his parents have a pool and bought him a nice car, but no one really likes.

When the screws were put to Osteen by Larry King, he dodged and he weaved. He said the judgment belonged to God and he wasn't in a place to preach the Word correctly. I sometimes wonder if he actually drinks the Kool-Aid he mixes.

I never liked him when I was a Christian and I still don't like him. He always came across as a swindler and I've always hated swindlers.

I attended Lakewood Church a few times back before Joel's father Croaked in the Spook. Joel has taken what John Osteen started, and turned it into a huge, very successful mega-church. I don't know a whole lot about what Joel teaches, but I think it's more about "feel-good" religion and positive believing/thinking/acting than it is about traditional Christianity. I'm sure that he promotes false ideas about the bible and that he opposes science by denying the reality of evolution, but the "feel good" message I really don't have a problem with. I may even decide to check out his new book. That's my two cents.

Lol, I agree. I only laugh because after being immersed in that horseshit for so long, I even know when I see and hear some among these suckers who ain't really christian themselves, and Joel Osteen among numerous others qualifies. He and Teddy Haggard would make a nice couple, ya know what I mean, lol. I think they're both fake christians as well as fake 'straight men'. And no offesnse meant to any gay men on here, it's these closet jobs who are also out here preaching against it that really give me a laugh. Just my 2 cents. Osteen has always struck me as maybe a lil on the gay end of things. I know I won't be putting any $ in that creeps pockets buying his version of what it takes to be happy. It sure ain't my version.

• 2 weeks later...
Pentecostalism for the Exurbs

Joel Osteen's God really wants you to dress well, stand up straight, and get a convenient parking space.

By Chris Lehmann

Posted Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2008, at 8:01 AM ET

Joel Osteen wants you to stand up straight. "Even many good, godly people have gotten into a bad habit of slumping and looking down," Osteen writes in his best-selling self-improvement tract Become a Better You. "[Y]ou need to put your shoulders back, hold your head up high, and communicate strength, determination, and confidence." After all, "We know we're representing Almighty God. Let's learn to walk tall."

Pentecostalism for the Exurbs