Goodbye Jesus

New question for Christians

Caretaker

I am interested in knowing how you all might handle it if a child (or grandchildren) of your own left Christianity and/or informed you that he or she was gay.

I really would like to know how well you could handle the news rather than what would you do, as to not serve to incriminate you.

Hello--

I have had this happen. One of my children did tell me she was leaving Christianity.

This devastated me-- but I did not burden her with my emotional reaction. I kept the emotional crisis internal and remained calm and loving while still expressing my surprise and consternation to her.

I didn't want to make her feel guilty about my pain. I *did* want to convey love and acceptance of her as my child and as a person while also being honest about my continued faith in God.

It still grieves me, but that is not her fault or her responsibility.

As for the "what if" of my child telling he or she is gay-- I have thought about this, in case it were to happen. Nothing would cause me to reject my child. Nothing. That much I know.

Probably I would keep my emotional reaction internal and yet be honest-- in a calm and loving way-- about the degree of agreement or disagreement I had with the way he/she was choosing to "live it."

With either scenario, I would try/have tried my best to put myself in his/her place and apply the Golden Rule.

Good question.

CC

Nothing would cause you to reject your child....yet most Xtians belive that god not only rejects his children that don't accept Jesus, but he also tortures them forever. You have better charater than the Xtian god.

...I am interested in knowing how you all might handle it if a child (or grandchildren) of y

As for the "what if" of my child telling he or she is gay-- I have thought about this, in case it were to happen.  Nothing would cause me to reject my child.  Nothing.  That much I know...

CC

It is comforting to know that Christians can be more moral than their god.

Nothing would cause you to reject your child....yet most Xtians belive that god not only rejects his children that don't accept Jesus, but he also tortures them forever.  You have better charater than the Xtian god.

Apparently God created some to be kinder, and the rest to be kindling...

(To clarify, kin'-der = "children" in German, as in kindergarten...)