Goodbye Jesus

My Book Of Bible Stories

Guest antibarbie

Guest antibarbie

When I was four my Mom bought me a book from the 'lovely' Jehovah Witness cult called "My Book of Bible Stories" when I was five or so. I remember her reading this to me and when we got to the page on the flood, I was horrified. The picture that accompanied the story showed a woman helplessly clutching her newborn child as the waters rose all around her. Although it was just a picture I suddenly understood and was filled with horror:

:twitch: "Why did God kill all the Babies Mommy? What did they do wrong?"

Of course she quickly changed the subject (and the page) but that picture is forever etched into my brain 25 years later. I wish they would ban that damn book before it scars more innocent children for life.

Hard to remember I had so many like it....

Scary part is I didnt mind"all them sinners" dying as long as my elders said it was ok..

While I don't remember those, when I was a kid my folks had bought a series of books called Bible Stories which went all the way from Genesis to Revelation. The stories were pretty much toned down for consumption by kids but some of the stories still scared the hell out of me.

What scares me are the christians who say it is OK for god to kill everyone in a worldwide flood as he made them so he can do what he wants with them. I hope these people do not have any children as they may decide they can do what they want with them.

Guest antibarbie
What scares me are the christians who say it is OK for god to kill everyone in a worldwide flood as he made them so he can do what he wants with them. I hope these people do not have any children as they may decide they can do what they want with them.

Those supernatural sky Daddy Gods of the Bible and Koran are the biggest control freaks in History. I will never understand how anyone can claim we are given free will by a God who says "Worship me or suffer endlessly!" That's a fucking choice? More of a Hobbs choice at best. It's amazing what people will talk themselves into buying in order to validate their belief system.

This is the Bible story book I remember...I think my little girl actually has it now. I was always fascinated by the pictures because they're all like renaissance art. Made the whole book seem a little surreal actually.

Guest antibarbie
This is the Bible story book I remember...I think my little girl actually has it now. I was always fascinated by the pictures because they're all like renaissance art. Made the whole book seem a little surreal actually.

The artwork in the one I had was of the same quality as the drawings you would see in the JW's watchtower and Awake Magazines. I can't find pictures of the inside of the book anywhere but the outside was a plain, ugly mustard yellow color.

Really good point about the massacre, aka Noah's Ark. What makes me ill to no end is the way they decorate nurseries with it. That's the most child friendly story in the book? WTF!

Wallpaper sample

post-2959-1200334252.gif

"Mama, did all the little babies drowned before dis picture?"

All kid's are fascinated by cute, little, furry animals so that's what they focus on. The reality of such a situation would be disgusting (and physically impossible)...you make a very good point of it being "child friendly" though when it obviously isn't.

When you think about it, how often, as kids, did we really consider the "reality" of the flood? It was just this simple story, right?

For antibarbie to look at the picture at a young age and see the truthful horror of the matter is really something I think...

Guest antibarbie
All kid's are fascinated by cute, little, furry animals so that's what they focus on. The reality of such a situation would be disgusting (and physically impossible)...you make a very good point of it being "child friendly" though when it obviously isn't.

When you think about it, how often, as kids, did we really consider the "reality" of the flood? It was just this simple story, right?

For antibarbie to look at the picture at a young age and see the truthful horror of the matter is really something I think...

If this picture was a child friendly picture, I probably wouldn't have thought about it. It wasn't the typical guy with animals on a boat picture you see in children's books. It was a turbulent black sea and ominous sky and you could see the boat in the background but the foreground on the picture depicted people seconds away from death. One man was being swept away by the tide while others perched helplessly at the summit of a mountain. You could read the despair and horror on their faces. It was very sad to me. I was a very sensitive child. I used to cry if I accidentally killed a bug.

If this picture was a child friendly picture, I probably wouldn't have thought about it. It wasn't the typical guy with animals on a boat picture you see in children's books. It was a turbulent black sea and ominous sky and you could see the boat in the background but the foreground on the picture depicted people seconds away from death. One man was being swept away by the tide while others perched helplessly at the summit of a mountain. You could read the despair and horror on their faces. It was very sad to me. I was a very sensitive child. I used to cry if I accidentally killed a bug.

You know, I think I remember that one....or one like it. They were all terrified looking as they stretched out their arms to the ark but its "too late". I guess the moral was supposed to be that if you make fun of gods chosen you die a horrible death while watching your family and everyone you know drown?

You know, I think I remember that one....or one like it. They were all terrified looking as they stretched out their arms to the ark but its "too late". I guess the moral was supposed to be that if you make fun of gods chosen you die a horrible death while watching your family and everyone you know drown?

Edit: Sorry about the double post, how can I take it down?

Guest antibarbie

That sounds about right. God is good my ass.

antibarbie: This one seems similar to what you described in your OP...they wouldn't dare show this in a Xian book I don't think...

I quite liked the Dore OT as a child.

Wow...strictly from an art perspective, pretty amazing...I kind of like the Revelations stuff...

Flood related:

http://catholic-resources.org/Dore/Images/OT-006.jpg

Entire Dore Bible Art:

http://catholic-resources.org/Art/Dore.htm

In the ongoing trend of my man crush on Thomas Paine, I give you another Thomas Paine quote from "The Age Of Reason"-

It seems as if parents of the christian profession were ashamed to tell their children any thing about the principles of their religion. They sometimes instruct them in morals, and talk to them of the goodness of what they call Providence; for the Christian mythology has five deities: there is God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, the God Providence, and the Goddess Nature. But the christian story of God the Father putting his son to death, or employing people to do it, (for that is the plain language of the story,) cannot be told by a parent to a child; and to tell him that it was done to make mankind happier and better, is making the story still worse; as if mankind could be improved by the example of murder; and to tell him that all this is a mystery, is only making an excuse for the incredibility of it.

and....

This was not one of those kind of thoughts that had any thing in it of childish levity; it was to me a serious reflection, arising from the idea I had that God was too good to do such an action, and also too almighty to be under any necessity of doing it. I believe in the same manner to this moment; and I moreover believe, that any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system.

(The thoughts he talks about are in response to a sermon on redemption.)

Courtesies of infidels.org

Ahhh...kind of a fatalistic comic-book approach...

What do they have against Will Smith?

Very Alex Ross artwork...

justice-league-alex-ross.jpg

alex_ross_art.jpg

I never had any of those xtian children's books with graphic violence. It seems like all my books were sugarcoated peacenik shit showing kids from all around the world from countries where xtianity wasn't even the main religion. One of the prayers in that book was from Islam and claimed that "Allah" was just another word for "Jesus". Then there were the books with cartoony artwork where Jesus, Adam, Eve, and other Bible characters looked like a bunch of stoned hippies rather than people from another era of time.

You have 206 posts. Don't you have a delete button yet?

You had 206 posts. Don't you have a delete button yet?

Ehhh not that I can see, it would be with the edit, quote, reply buttons right?

You had 206 posts. Don't you have a delete button yet?

Ehhh not that I can see, it would be with the edit, quote, reply buttons right?

Yes. Mine is. If you have an edit button you can delete the text and put in an apology such as "Double post. Sorry." People have done that.

Doc, you can also pm a mod and ask to have it deleted. Some mods are HanSolo, Skip N. Church, pitchu, KelliKat.