Goodbye Jesus

My Book Of Bible Stories

Guest antibarbie

Wow...strictly from an art perspective, pretty amazing...I kind of like the Revelations stuff...

Flood related:

http://catholic-resources.org/Dore/Images/OT-006.jpg

Entire Dore Bible Art:

http://catholic-resources.org/Art/Dore.htm

If Grampa Harley cut his teeth on this stuff, it explains a lot, huh?

*sweet, innocent, smile*

I liked the pictures... the stories were either banal or stupid or both...

Rev18.jpg

YOu must admit, old Gustav had a lovely touch on moonlight in copper plate engraving!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, Noah's ark. Yeah, its funny how as a kid I never thought about the killed people. You never got pictures of dead people, just the fluffy cuddly animals.

I got a illustrated book for my aunt at xmas- of religious stories, it just took a verse and this artist would do a picture depicting the event- there was one of the flood showed all the dead bodies after the flood had drained away. In Black and White but still graphic. Obviously the artist didn't beat around the bush! (He, the artist suppossedly made the book about a year ago) I never really checked that story before purchasing it. It even had some verses of the catholic bible! I just got it because with her- anything religious tends to be a good pressie for her. Anything secular... well I wouldn't know what the hell to get her. Secular and my aunt rarely cme under the same domain. Will learn lesson in future. Must flick through ALL book before purchase!

Still she kind of stared at it and snapped it shut. Perhaps a twinge of horror? It was never my intention... but perhaps when I eventually come out (and that will mean eventually explaining to her why), that one picture will maybe make it a little easier...

Maybe.

310px-Gustave_Dore_Deluge.jpg

Another picture from my Childhood bible by Uncle Gustave...

People who give children books of bible stories and claim they are true are irresponsible. There is no "god". There was no creation. Genesis is bullshit. Exodus is bullshit. Actually the whole bible is bullshit and should be catalogued under the fantasy/fiction section, not suitable for children to read.

TBH, early exposure to the bible isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's leavened with other classic fairy stories too... A bright child will pretty quickly see that the stories in the bible are NOT as well constructed as the fairy tales, and there are a lot of themes in common. The Dore bible I had access to left me with a real appreciation dark art... Goya, Cruikshank, Hogarth...

In the end, unless you're doing something strange, there is no such thing as a 'normal' child, just people who haven't been around long... thus one cannot really say what is 'suitable' on a blanket basis for a child... OK, I'd not show Deep Throat or Cannibal Holocaust to a group of 6 year olds, but there's nothing in the Bible that bothered me, any more than Rumplestiltskin, thus add Brothers Grimm to the reading list and you're away...

Another image I remeber as a child from my bible

bExo1229Dore_TheFirstbornSlain.jpg

You can see why I never bought the God Loves YOU! shit...

In the end, unless you're doing something strange, there is no such thing as a 'normal' child, just people who haven't been around long... thus one cannot really say what is 'suitable' on a blanket basis for a child... OK, I'd not show Deep Throat or Cannibal Holocaust to a group of 6 year olds, but there's nothing in the Bible that bothered me, any more than Rumplestiltskin, thus add Brothers Grimm to the reading list and you're away...

My grandmother always snatched Chick comics from my little hands when I was tiny as she thought they were way too graphic for kids under fifteen. When I became a teenager and read them I could see why she told people "She's not allowed to read those comics." when I was younger. Though she is what you call a re-born Christian she knows what is appropriate reading materials for young children. I guess the reason I always received those hippie style Bible books was because she warned my relatives if they sent anything graphic then they would have to try to get me to sleep after I have bad nightmares after reading them. :HaHa:

They way people lie to children...