Goodbye Jesus

God as Designer

Christopher Carrion

Back to track of the topic, God as a designer...

I believe if God exists, he created a universe bigger then himself.

Just like the question if God can create a rock so big he can't lift it.

That's what he did with the Universe.

God is just a supernatural geek, that had a project due for school, and he said "Hey, I should make a universe, that should land me first prize.", I guess he got one, and they put us on an exhibition....

I better go to bed before my stuff gets to wacko...

If anything this topic has proved to me that those "of faith" will do anything, absolutely anything to maintain their familiar delusions, even when the arguments against the claims of their source scripture prove so devestating.

I better go to bed before my stuff gets to wacko...

Um... I think it's a little late for that... :grin:

Um... I think it's a little late for that...  :grin:

Hey! Easy there tiger! :grin:

You know what. It doesn't help for me to get sleep either, I'm still whacko! Hehe.

Hey! Easy there tiger! :grin:

You know what. It doesn't help for me to get sleep either, I'm still whacko! Hehe.

You have taken the first step on the road to enlightenment...

Now all you need to do is realise that everyone else is wacko and you'll have taken the second step. :HaHa:

Boards ago, I started a thread regarding God as a Designer. (NBBTB and Spacehawk2K and I were the main participants in that discussion.) My position within that thread was to discover that when we say designer, we mean a particular type of activity that as a designer myself, only knows to well what that means. From an implemented design we can say certain things about the skill, talent, sensitivity and competency of that designer in question. (In a recent focus group for Kraft, a participant was asked what they thought of a particular design. The participant said the designer "should be shot." That raised an eyebrow of my friend who did the design for sure. LOL) Now, the latter has been described in some detail. God as a designer has definitely designed some silly things. Nipples on men, mammals that live in water. That's not such an issue in my mind but as to when we say that a God is a designer, we mean that design as an activity is never a "homerun." Designs are developed through a process of refinement that rests upon failure and countless iterations, more refinement, and more iterations until a solution (visual, mechanical, ergonomic etc) can be demonstrated as the best option.

Accordingly, if God - the designer, is to solve the problem of being glorified, we should naturally assume that God had to have designed many versions until he got to this one and signed-off on it. Well, we see obvious flaws in the nipples on men and mammals that live in water full time, but it is always said that God is omnipotent. That being the case, he would not need the design process and created the universe more like that of an autonomic response. That is, God created everything, but did not initiate a design process. Autonomic process are like that of breathing or the beating of ones heart. Now, you can interrupt the process of breathing, but one does not need to make a conciseness effort to keep their biological process active in order to live.

From this we can conclude two things. #1: If God is a designer, then he can not be all powerful as design is a process of failure through refinement to sign-off, and #2: If God is omnipotent, then he is probably not aware of his creation or just barely aware of it. However, it did not require any of the higher brain function that we have come to associate creative problem solving that we find in humanity, our primate cousins, or like in proto-humanoids like the Neanderthals.

Of course Dave pointed out that the problem of infinite recursion remains and the whole God as Designer falls underneath its own internal logic.

Yeah Quicksand, God forgot about the R&D and QA departments, and cut the corners. No wonder everything is so screwed up. Maybe Evil is just a bug in the system? Or a virus that he just can't get rid of?

Regard the whale and the dolphin. Creatures with all the outward physical characteristics of creatures designed to dwell beneath the ocean, but with the respiratory system of a land-dwelling, air breathing mammal.

If God is the "creator", and all things were "created" as they exist now, then God is an idiot.

I believe that the almighty Glob made them that way, in order to test their faith in him. And also in order to give them a perfect opportunity to learn to pray to him to provide air supply.

What a merciful and loving Glob. Glob, we adore you :wicked:

I believe that the almighty Glob made them that way, in order to test their faith in him. And also in order to give them a perfect opportunity to learn to pray to him to provide air supply.

What a merciful and loving Glob. Glob, we adore you  :wicked:

Self-serving sadist, uncaring idiot, either way not worth spending your time, intellect or emotion on.

Wonder if all the different creations are evolving into a single creation? Ecologically becoming more reliant/dependent/enmeshed on each other for total survival? Could it be that eventually the whole world will have evolved into a single organism? Is that possible? Isn't that the premise behind each organism that exists now? Just curious...

Wonder if all the different creations are evolving into a single creation? Ecologically becoming more reliant/dependent/enmeshed on each other for total survival? Could it be that eventually the whole world will have evolved into a single organism? Is that possible? Isn't that the premise behind each organism that exists now? Just curious...

Yeah. Maybe.

And with nano technology, artificial intelligence, quantum computers, who knows, maybe we all will download our conscious into machines in the future, and we all become part of a virtual world, one mind... scary huh... :twitch:

Intelligent design:

flightless birds

overcrowded human teeth

wild boars of New Guinea who die when their horns curl and puncture the skull.

Tiny spiny fish of the Amazon that swim up the uretha and kill people unless it removed ( by cutting off the penis)

Rabbits who have to eat their own shit, because of a poor digestive system.

flightless birds

flight birds

and flightless birds