Goodbye Jesus

Frustrations In Finding A New Spiritual Path

LastKing

I ment to place this topic here, sorry.

Okay, first here me out. When I use the word “religion” I mean a spiritual Community that people get to gather in support of one another, NOT an ultra literal mind control dogmatic cult. I am an agnostic, not an Atheist I have learn from my mistakes from Christianity and have become much better at judging groups and whether or not if what there doing is harmful. In spite of the break up with Christianity there still few other groups I found attractive that I wish to explore. The problem for me thought is that nothing is in reach. The main one I wish to Explore is Unitarian Universalism (I feel that may be what I need at the moment) other groups I wish to explore, Humanism, Buddhism (as a philosophy not a religon) Nature base spirituality and Hinduism (mainly to understand Buddhism better, but to my surprise I ended up liking it philosophy more then I thought I would) I would start meeting people from all these groups face to face but I have a big problem. Due transportation issue I cant go to a lot of these places, I can only go to what is in reach of me and guess what in reach. Churches….just churches. The closet one is me is a fundamentalist church, speak in tongs, Jesus is the only way and all that nonsense. There a Presbyterian Church up ahead, more liberal then the Fundeis, but I don’t feel comfortable around Christianity anymore, even when its bin given the friendly look. Its ironic because the one religion I am trying to escape from I am literal surround by and its only increasing my frustrations.

Have any of you had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Spiritaul Lonleyness. yeah i live there. Thing is, even when you find a spiritaul source(s) of instruction, you will find the social center of belivers to have all the characteristics found in church circles. I will never forget my shock when i met my first Buddhist fundimentalist.

The big and irreconcilible difference is now that you are seeking for YOUR spiritaul instruction you will be more concerned with applying the lessons and geting on with your life. Where as , just as in church, the others tend to be complacent or religous. Very few true seekers of god in churches. (didnt jesus say something to that effect?)

After a while, let's suppose, you gain an insight that helps you interpret the bible differently, you will still not be able to join up with the churches.

One's spiritaul path is personal, and best when eclectic.

And moreover, concider how many times in real life situations that your religious aptitude actaully come up? A spiritaulity is for your own guide to life interpretation. One ought to take and apply all such instruction as suits their expression of truth. And not to be floundering about looking for just the right nitch to stuff oneself into.

Discovering your path will be an active and life long search, and the truth of the matter is wether you find a *group* or not , you and yourself stand alone. And after a while of your seeking, it becomes impossible to educated others about your beliefs to have them judge you or guide you.

You will learn to judge and guide yourself. Didn't ole Ben Franklin say " god helps those who help themselves."?

Best wishes for you on your path to truth and enjoyment of life.

IZM

My recommendation is not to jump into anything.

I remember when I first left Christianity, I kept looking for a new group to belong to. Some group I could identify with. It is human nature to place things in groups. Basically it is a survival instinct. I won't get into the details, but the point is that this filters into religion. We all want to belong. So people say "I'm a Taoist" or "I'm a Christian," or "I'm a Buddhist"

I did the same thing, I ran from one belief system or philosophy to another. I read up on Buddhism, but found somethings I didn't agree with, I read Taoism, and found some things I didn't agree with. I read Nietzsche and found things I didn't agree with.

So just a bit of advice, don't get caught up in the labels, what you call yourself is not important. Though people will likely try to convince you that it is.

• Super Moderator

Get a hobby, meet people with similar interests, and just be a person.

Yeppers, I've had that problem too. Where I live everyone claims to be a christian and the only groups around here are christian as well. I prefer Native Indian spirituality. It is a personal and individual pursuit, not one promoted by organized religion. No one tells you your way is wrong because your pursuit is yours and does not include someone else's spirituality. There are imitators, so beware of 'Same-ons' who will sell you a sweat lodge or vision quest mixed with add-ons from new age mumbo-jumbo. Some one interested in helping you on your spiritual voyage will do it freely and not for money.

Sounds like what you want is a social group with a little ritual attached. Masons, Lions, Moose, perhaps something along this line. If you are musically inclined try to find a community singing or instrumental group. My uncle enjoyed singing in barbershop groups for years, almost to his death. Sports? Softball teams, Basket Ball, Bowling leagues, chess clubs, writing clubs, Toast Masters...

Get a hobby, meet people with similar interests, and just be a person.

Yep. Sounds almost too simple, doesn't it? It doesn't matter if you're into frog gigging, macramé, or juggling flaming hatchets... someone else is, too, and you guys and gals will have a blast when you get together.

There are many ways to nurture your spiritual side. Religion, no matter how liberal or inclusive, is poison. That's simply my opinion, but I am convinced of it because I have yet to uncover a religion that doesn't cater to irrational thinking and supernatural themes. As long as a person is entertaining ideas and thoughts of things that aren't real or aren't of this world, there is an open door to great dissatisfaction and betrayal. In other words, one can go very deep into the rabbit hole, but the end result will always be some form of self-comforting fantasy. Again, that's my opinion.

Join a club. Do some volunteer work. Finding a group of people who think like you do and who enjoy doing the same things you like is worth the effort. Camaraderie and social interaction will fill the void you're wanting to have filled.

Good luck!

Guest LumberJack

I understand your position and am reminded of a Bhuddist philosophy that says, when the student is ready, a teacher will emerge. IMO you have realized that spirituality is a journey not just a religion or philosophical destination. The pleasure in the journey is discovering new things and understanding yourself in the process. Only you can discern what is right for yourself. Just as in fundamental religions, there are many on this forum who insist that they alone are right. Many are just as radical as the fundies, but in the opposite direction. Beware of the tendency to end up in the opposite camp that is just as oppressive as the one you left. I wish you the best in your journey.

I ment to place this topic here, sorry.

Okay, first here me out. When I use the word “religion” I mean a spiritual Community that people get to gather in support of one another, NOT an ultra literal mind control dogmatic cult. I am an agnostic, not an Atheist I have learn from my mistakes from Christianity and have become much better at judging groups and whether or not if what there doing is harmful. In spite of the break up with Christianity there still few other groups I found attractive that I wish to explore. The problem for me thought is that nothing is in reach. The main one I wish to Explore is Unitarian Universalism (I feel that may be what I need at the moment) other groups I wish to explore, Humanism, Buddhism (as a philosophy not a religon) Nature base spirituality and Hinduism (mainly to understand Buddhism better, but to my surprise I ended up liking it philosophy more then I thought I would) I would start meeting people from all these groups face to face but I have a big problem. Due transportation issue I cant go to a lot of these places, I can only go to what is in reach of me and guess what in reach. Churches….just churches. The closet one is me is a fundamentalist church, speak in tongs, Jesus is the only way and all that nonsense. There a Presbyterian Church up ahead, more liberal then the Fundeis, but I don’t feel comfortable around Christianity anymore, even when its bin given the friendly look. Its ironic because the one religion I am trying to escape from I am literal surround by and its only increasing my frustrations.

Once you reject Jesus as Lord, then it's anybody's guess who God is. That's because Jesus is the only one who showed the divine powers of God. So now all you can do is drift from person to person. But unfortunately, people can't save you from your sins or get you to heaven. All other religions rely on mortal humans. No one has ever seen "allah", not even Mohammed. So the Muslims have to take Mohammed's word that allah even exists. Ad it's the same for all other "gods." They come from the imaginations of people. So you'll sadly have to live in spiritual darkness forever.

• Super Moderator
Once you reject Jesus as Lord, then you can never find God. That's because Jesus is the only one who showed the divine powers of God. So now all you can do is drift from person to person. But unfortunately, people can't save you from your sins or get you to heaven. All other religions rely on mortal humans. No one has ever seen "allah", not even Mohammed. So the Muslims have to take Mohammed's word that allah even exists. And it's the same for all other "gods." They come from the imaginations of people and have never been seen. So you'll sadly have to live in spiritual darkness forever.

Behave yourself and don't preach your bullshit here in this forum. It's for people who have escaped from that crippling insanity you espouse. The moderators won't put up with that. We can challenge each other assertions in the Lion's Den, if you have the balls.

Once you reject Jesus as Lord, then it's anybody's guess who God is. That's because Jesus is the only one who showed the divine powers of God. So now all you can do is drift from person to person. But unfortunately, people can't save you from your sins or get you to heaven. All other religions rely on mortal humans. No one has ever seen "allah", not even Mohammed. So the Muslims have to take Mohammed's word that allah even exists. Ad it's the same for all other "gods." They come from the imaginations of people. So you'll sadly have to live in spiritual darkness forever

You've come to the wrong place. We are not interested; take the preaching elsewhere. This forum is for people exploring alternate forms of spituality and different philosophies and religions and have found meaning for their lives in said different philosophies and religions. We have all totally rejected Christianity and that includes the idea (a human idea) that Jesus is the only way.

I ask that the moderators remove this and stick it in the Den.

Knupfer, just to let you know (since you're new here, you probably don't understand this yet), but this section: Ex-Christian Theism and Spirituality, is for the people who are NOT Christian anymore, and they want to talk about their new spirituality or belief. Sorry dude, but Christian spirituality or theology doesn't fit into that category. So, leave this section alone, or participate by talking about something else than the Christian religion.

/H/.

Once you reject Jesus as Lord, then it's anybody's guess who God is. That's because Jesus is the only one who showed the divine powers of God. So now all you can do is drift from person to person. But unfortunately, people can't save you from your sins or get you to heaven. All other religions rely on mortal humans. No one has ever seen "allah", not even Mohammed. So the Muslims have to take Mohammed's word that allah even exists. Ad it's the same for all other "gods." They come from the imaginations of people. So you'll sadly have to live in spiritual darkness forever

You've come to the wrong place. We are not interested; take the preaching elsewhere. This forum is for people exploring alternate forms of spituality and different philosophies and religions and have found meaning for their lives in said different philosophies and religions. We have all totally rejected Christianity and that includes the idea (a human idea) that Jesus is the only way.

I ask that the moderators remove this and stick it in the Den.

I find it interesting that non-Christians don't consider their words to be preaching. I wonder why that is? :scratch: Considering that the word "preaching" is used whenever someone knows the other person is right but doesn't want to listen, then I can see why you think passing along Christianity is preaching and your words are not. :close:

Knupfer - get off your cross.

This is an issue of what the forum category is, not some consipiracy against your faith.

Just follow the rules, we're a lot more lenient than any christian site out there. I can gaurantee that.

Responding to "Last King" - I think you've got some good advice above. If your looking for fellowship, find a group that shares your interests (hobbies, etc.). It may even be a good idea to "walk away" from the spirituallity question for awhile to see where it takes you. As the wise sage once said - "Life's a journey, not a destination".

IMOHO,

:thanks:

Knupfer - get off your cross.

This is an issue of what the forum category is, not some consipiracy against your faith.

Just follow the rules, we're a lot more lenient than any christian site out there. I can gaurantee that.

Responding to "Last King" - I think you've got some good advice above. If your looking for fellowship, find a group that shares your interests (hobbies, etc.). It may even be a good idea to "walk away" from the spirituallity question for awhile to see where it takes you. As the wise sage once said - "Life's a journey, not a destination".

IMOHO,

:thanks:

So is it in the rules that people can swear at each other? Because if it is, then most people here need to be banned. Either that, or the rules don't apply to everyone. So which is it?

Knupfuck, take your trolling ass back to church and go flagellate yourself or something else equally productive.

I find it interesting that non-Christians don't consider their words to be preaching. I wonder why that is? :scratch: Considering that the word "preaching" is used whenever someone knows the other person is right but doesn't want to listen, then I can see why you think passing along Christianity is preaching and your words are not. :close:

See, this is where you're screwing the pooch. I've been here a while longer than you and I have yet to see one single REGULAR forum member proclaim that their thoughts and opinions are "right". It's right for them. Your definition of preaching may, indeed, be correct and from what I've seen it's only people like you who are doing it. You're more than free to ruffle feathers and be sarcastic and question the guidelines for the forums, but be prepared for the shit storm that will certainly follow. Again, I've been here a while and it's not the norm to see Christians "banned" for their remarks - especially when they post where they're welcomed to post - but you guys tend to spew your bullshit and leave after a short while anyway.

We've walked where you're walking and decided it wasn't for us. Hence, the name "Ex-Christian". What we do here is engage in discussion. If you want to participate in a discussion, then do so. If you want to be a prick, be prepared to be treated as such. I, for one, will be happy to oblige you either way.

Trolls

Definition

Trolls tend to argue only for the cause of starting a good fight. They use inflammatory statements and try to upset people, just for the entertainment of seeing the effect. Trolls usually are closed-minded to any replies that are made, and they might jump from the original topic to just flaming anyone who disagrees with them.

Most of the time, trolls try to stay anonymous and don't post pictures of themselves or give any information of who they are.

Occasionally members can also get into a trolling action, acting similar to a troll, but their motivation is not to just stir up emotions, but rather they just are just responding with anger or irritation against an opposing poster. This type of exchange doesn't really count as trolling per se, but is just an outburst by an upset member.

What to do

Put Trolls on ignore and report them to the moderators or admins. There's rarely a point in arguing with them.

Trolls

Definition

Trolls tend to argue only for the cause of starting a good fight. They use inflammatory statements and try to upset people, just for the entertainment of seeing the effect. Trolls usually are closed-minded to any replies that are made, and they might jump from the original topic to just flaming anyone who disagrees with them.

Most of the time, trolls try to stay anonymous and don't post pictures of themselves or give any information of who they are.

Occasionally members can also get into a trolling action, acting similar to a troll, but their motivation is not to just stir up emotions, but rather they just are just responding with anger or irritation against an opposing poster. This type of exchange doesn't really count as trolling per se, but is just an outburst by an upset member.

What to do

Put Trolls on ignore and report them to the moderators or admins. There's rarely a point in arguing with them.

That would be convenient to ignore Christians. Then you never have to deal with your contradictions. But sorry, they won't go away...ever.

Trolls

What to do

ignoreln1.jpg

By golly, that's pretty snazzy! Thanks, Vigile!

That would be convenient to ignore Christians. Then you never have to deal with your contradictions. But sorry, they won't go away...ever.

Xians are more than welcome to come here and get their asses handed to them. Trolls however, which you are, are welcome to just go fuck themselves.

• Super Moderator

Just a quick clarification - I don't ignore Christians. Hell, I used to be one. A real one, too.

I do ignore babbling idiots who lack any original thoughts and just quote Scripture (which I know very well, thank you) and parrot dogma espoused by cult leaders.

So is it in the rules that people can swear at each other? Because if it is, then most people here need to be banned. Either that, or the rules don't apply to everyone. So which is it?

You posted in the wrong section of the forum, probably because you didn't read the page by the link: "Rules for this section -- Please read!" on the top-left of this page.

Now you're claiming there are some rules against swearwords on this site, which should apply to everyone???

Who are you? Our new self-imposed web administrator? The rules apply the way we (the moderator team) say they do, not you. So get off that pedestal of self-admiration. Pride isn't one of the fruits of the spirit you know.

You posted in the wrong section of the forum, probably because you didn't read the page by the link: "Rules for this section -- Please read!" on the top-left of this page.

Now you're claiming there are some rules against swearwords on this site, which should apply to everyone???

Who are you? Our new self-imposed web administrator? The rules apply the way we (the moderator team) say they do, not you. So get off that pedestal of self-admiration. Pride isn't one of the fruits of the spirit you know.

So then it wouldn't do any good to read the rules if you only apply them arbitrarily, now would it? :close:

So then it wouldn't do any good to read the rules if you only apply them arbitrarily, now would it? :close:

I seem to be the site asshole now. Wanna try exchanging barbs with me? This is ex-c. We live to debate your kind. Bring it. We'll live.