Goodbye Jesus

Long Story Short

trashy

My deconversion testimony is kinda long. I just found something I wrote in 1998 and updated in 2000. It's 3200 words, and I was still a Christian at the end. Here's the summary of what I wrote then:

- 'saved' at age 7 after being given the choice of eternity in heaven with my parents or eternity in hell all alone

- typical preacher's kid childhood and youth

- 3 children w/ first wife - active in church the whole time

- divorce - spent two years doing a lot of drugs

- back to church, met current wife - Charismatic Nazarene!

- demon-casting, healing, Word-Faith, etc.

- five years leading praise and worship team

- left church and had not attended for two years

So, that brings us up to June of 2000. At this point I was just burned out. I eventually ran across a theological viewpoint called Preterism which made a heckuva lot more sense than waiting around for Jesus to return and that got me back into studying the Bible. But the more I kept reading and analyzing and using my MIND the more problems I saw. I think that the tipping point was when I looked at the possibility of a local vs. global flood in Genesis. In the end I couldn't make either one fit reality or reason! It was all downhill from there.

I still hesitate to call myself an atheist. It sounds so final. But I really am. I don't believe in deities any more.

Hi, my name is Glenn, I'm 44, and I'm an atheist..... :shrug:

Welcome to the forum, Trashy!

And don't fret too much about "labels". Just becoming comfortable with "EX-Christian" will be enough to keep you busy in the months to come!

I still hesitate to call myself an atheist.  It sounds so final.  But I really am.  I don't believe in deities any more.

Welcome trashy!

I understand how that goes. It gets easier with some time :grin: Once I finally admitted to myself that no, I don't believe there is any god, it felt pretty good to say "I'm an atheist." You don't have to carry around all of the crap associated with man-made gods, and you're free to think for yourself now.

Afterall, atheism is simply a belief (or some would argue a "lack of belief"). There are no rules as to how you are supposed to act or be as an atheist. From there, you can be as vocal as you want about your beliefs, or simply enjoy life day to day and not think about god at all. It's your choice :)

Guest JP1283

Hi Trashy! Welcome to ExC! I'm not an atheist, either. There's room here for people with beliefs from all ends of the spectrum (except Christianity, hehe.)

JP

Welcome, Glenn! (Oh wait... I'm getting a Word from The Lord... He says you have a Demon of Reading Too Much...)

:lmao:

Seriously, enjoy the site! Have a good time and don't forget to stop by the break area for some of Reach's Cappuccino Brownies, coffee and blaspheming the Holy Spirit!

Loren

I still hesitate to call myself an atheist.  It sounds so final.  But I really am.  I don't believe in deities any more.

Welcome Glenn.

I am an atheist, yet I am completely open to the idea of there being a supreme being. All I need is evidence. When I was a christian I didn't need evidence, now I do.

Hi Trashy

I know how you feel about the atheist label. It sounds like an accusation, and has a negative stigma attached to it. I'm so glad you have reached this wonderful stage in your life. I know you will enjoy it. Welcome!

Kevin

Seriously, enjoy the site! Have a good time and don't forget to stop by the break area for some of Reach's Cappuccino Brownies, coffee and blaspheming the Holy Spirit!

Loren

There's a break area here? :scratch:

Ya know, it pisses me off when I keep finding things in the Bible that don't make ANY sense at all. Like, how did I not see that before? Case in point: your sig. It's not like I hadn't read that a bajillion times before..... :ugh:

There's a break area here?  :scratch:

Ya know, it pisses me off when I keep finding things in the Bible that don't make ANY sense at all.  Like, how did I not see that before?  Case in point:  your sig.  It's not like I  hadn't read that a bajillion times before..... :ugh:  

I added the link to the brownies for you. ;)

As far as Loren's sigline goes, it's amazing but evidently it's human nature to see what we already believe and to not see what we disbelieve. To top it off, we then draw much of our knowledge from what we have personally experienced. Don't beat yourself up over this. We've all done it.

Welcome to the site, Trashy. We're glad to have you and we celebrate your freedom. I hope you'll make yourself at home.

-Reach

Welcome Bro...

'57 FLH and 2.5 million miles ridden..

Ride Free Man, it feels great..

kL

For some unforsaken reason, that just does not sound right.

Welcome Trashy, good to have you here.

So you were in the Word of Faith gigs too? We're a couple here with that background, so join in.

Hi Trashy,

My parents went to and were grads of Rhema, as were my brother, his wife, and 2 sisters out of 3.

I was in WOF for 26 years.

Welcome, Brother Glenn!

Ya know, it pisses me off when I keep finding things in the Bible that don't make ANY sense at all. Like, how did I not see that before?

You had your Jesus Goggles on then, and now you don't. Glory!

jesusgoggles3.jpg

Ya know, it pisses me off when I keep finding things in the Bible that don't make ANY sense at all.  Like, how did I not see that before?  Case in point:  your sig.  It's not like I  hadn't read that a bajillion times before..... :ugh:

Me too, Trashy. The farther out from the whole thing I get, the more things like that I find that make me say, "How the hell did I not see that before?"

The psychology of it is fascinating.

Welcome, Brother Glenn!

You had your Jesus Goggles on then, and now you don't. Glory!

jesusgoggles3.jpg

I'll bet you see Jesus in your window if you wear those....

Me too, Trashy. The farther out from the whole thing I get, the more things like that I find that make me say, "How the hell did I not see that before?"

The psychology of it is fascinating.

Loren,

My wife and I had a conversation about those two verses in your sig after I read them the other day. They so obviously show God confirming the serpent's version of what would happen that it isn't even funny. I've never read a commentary on that, nor heard it addressed in a sermon, nor heard an apologist address them. But they were there long before I was born.

Jesus goggles indeed.....

Hi Trashy,

My parents went to and were grads of Rhema, as were my brother, his wife, and 2 sisters out of 3.

I was in WOF for 26 years.

Not me, but just a few years was enough. At one point we were giving 10% of our GROSS income to Kenneth Copeland's ministry! WTF?

For some unforsaken reason, that just does not sound right.

you've obviously never been on a 'breezy ride'!

Welcome Bro...

'57 FLH and 2.5 million miles ridden..

kL

Dude. There's no way a Harley has that many miles on it! You obviously ride a rice-burner for your daily ride, right? :HaHa:

Speaking of, we've only got about 20,000 under our belts since we started riding a few years ago. Got a couple of Suzuki Volusia's - only 805cc but they work.

Dude.  There's no way a Harley has that many miles on it!  You obviously ride a rice-burner for your daily ride, right?  :HaHa:

Speaking of, we've only got about 20,000 under our belts since we started riding a few years ago.  Got a couple of Suzuki Volusia's - only 805cc but they work.

Not on "Hereafter" my Pan.. Will say she has carried me about 250-oddk in various runs.

Lots of time on other machines, not all "merikan irun", but most of it fairly safe and always fun until the gas ran out..

Not too sure Khan will have pleasure of being the driver of something that causes instant *riding wood* or not.. But if ya gotta 'splain it to sombody who hasn't, you can't.. :)

kevinL.

Not on "Hereafter" my Pan.. Will say she has carried me about 250-oddk in various runs.

That's gotta be a record of some sort! Well, that's the reputation any way. :grin:

Hey, I'd own a Harley if I could afford one!

Lots of time on other machines, not all "merikan irun", but most of it fairly safe and always fun until the gas ran out..

Not too sure Khan will have pleasure of being the driver of something that causes instant *riding wood* or not.. But if ya gotta 'splain it to sombody who hasn't, you can't.. :)

kevinL.

I guess this is your time of year to ride up there - we typically stay off the bikes when it starts hitting 100+ every day. But then we get to ride a lot during the winter.

Riding those North Country border hills over in New Mex sure is an asskicking days work.. ;)

Relations in Amarillo at one time, rode throough NW Tex a hellova lot. Shot over at NRA range for kicks and giggles too..

Nice part of country for scootering.. I don't care if your cruiser is SAE or metric. Up on Two beats any cage any day..

Ride to Live....

kL

>edit: "If ya gots to 'splain it, ya kants..."

and live to ride!!!!

Hehe, been there done that, lost the t-shirt along the way!! :lmao: