Goodbye Jesus

I Think I'm Spoiling For A Fight...

GraphicsGuy

Sometimes I've had the urge to want to debate the people at my parents' church because their ignorance and bigotry astounds me and I would love to take on those pompous fools. But doing so would out me and I'm not in the position where I can do that yet. So, instead I try to ask questions in Sunday school class that would challenge their thinking while at the same time not pushing the questions so that it makes me look suspicious. Like, one Sunday we were having a discussion about prayer and the teacher asked us if we had any questions, so I asked them about the problem of evil and why does God allow people to suffer. They ended up giving the usual cliched answers, and I could have easily torn them to shreds, but I didn't want to push it further, so I resisted the urge. But there were a few minutes of silence from the class before anyone actually answered my question which I found amusing. One other Sunday we had a class discussion about not being a stumbling block to your brother and I had asked the teacher how do we know who's being the stumbling block because what if both Christians think the other is being a stumbling block to each other. Later after class one of the ladies in class came up to me and thanked me for asking the question because she had been thinking the same thing. Now I wonder how many in the class actually believe and how many are questioning the church authority but are too afraid to speak up. I figure if I can't openly debate them, I can at least plant seeds of doubt so to speak by asking questions to get people to think.

One of the nice things about having such a public deconversion is that fights find us so we have all the debate we could ever want. Maybe we could just post some of the emails and let the forums answer them instead of us! That sure would save us time... haha. Everyone who really just wants a fight could sort of scratch that itch vicariously!