Goodbye Jesus

Is Anyone Else A Victim Of Christian "education"

Insanity personified

I've been crammed into christian schools all my life. The only respite I've managed to attain was last year (sophmore year) when I attended a large public school due to my parent's inability to pay tuition.

But guess what! junior year rolls around and guess where my parents see fit to stick me? yup. The further down the rabbit hole (or in this case, the haggard syphilitic rectal orfice) of the christian school system I go, the more I'm convinced that places like this simply shouldn't be legal. I'm all for private education mind you, but when your school ceases to be an educational institution and in turn becomes a well funded babysitting operation, something needs to be done.

Add this to the fact that the school REQUIRES that their staff members' children attend the school (I have a parent that works there. Joy.) and it's no wonder that the school has the same reputation in the local community as the Zetas do in Mexico. It's pretty much like living in North Korea, only with another "blessed leader" being admired. The school requires you to sign a "pledge" saying that you'll behave how they see fit OUTSIDE of school. I can't be the only one who sees Orwellian mind control here.

Has anyone else ever been to a christian school? It's really difficult to explain just why they're so bad to someone who's never experienced one.

Goodbye Jesus

I attended public school but I put my 16 yr old in Christian school when he was 4 and 5. He told me when he was 12 he figured it was bullshit when they got the flood story....but he didn't tell me that until he was 12 and I announced to him that I no longer "believed".

You know, there might be more kids in that school than you who don't "buy it" either...but it wouldn't be a good idea to probe on that too much. If you feel feisty and brave enough you could always immerse yourself in the bible lessons and come up with some real zinger questions to make the teachers squirm (and act all innocent <snicker>). That could give you some intellectual relief.

You know, there might be more kids in that school than you who don't "buy it" either...

Oh i'd say the majority of the school is like that....they only tap into christianity when they need an excuse to hate homosexuals

If you "rebelled" (aka acted like a sane, reasonable person), maybe they would kick you out! :)

I was in Kindergarten. My parents would've sent me to one from K-12 but we moved to a rural area and the only other xian school was 30 minutes away and probably expensive, so I went to a public school after that.

I went to Christian school for my entire education.

Two suggestions:

1. Join a rec sports team (or acting group or art class or whatever you're into). Since you've been one year in public school, I guess you already know "how to behave" among secular students, but this way you won't lose touch with "normal" peers.

2. Sure, ask a few snarky questions in Bible class, but don't try to take down the school. Instead, focus on the non-Christian things that will be important in college (like math, foreign language, etc.) Else, you'll be putting all your efforts into a losing battle that will probably just embitter you. You're almost done, just see it as one of the learning experiences on your way to becoming your own person.

If you "rebelled" (aka acted like a sane, reasonable person), maybe they would kick you out! :)

Just so you know, I wasn't seriously advocating this.

I was in a xtian school from the second half of 5th to 7th grade. Honestly, it didn't seem much different from public school to me. It was the bible college I went to that really got to me. You're in a perfect place to advocate against religious education, though. Just keep notes on everything and bide your time, then when you're done, you're the poster child for why private religious schools aren't healthy. Maybe someday you'll be influential in the fight for the separation of church and state!

I was in a xtian school from the second half of 5th to 7th grade. Honestly, it didn't seem much different from public school to me. It was the bible college I went to that really got to me. You're in a perfect place to advocate against religious education, though. Just keep notes on everything and bide your time, then when you're done, you're the poster child for why private religious schools aren't healthy. Maybe someday you'll be influential in the fight for the separation of church and state!

Hopefully! :grin:

I just find it to be slightly ironic. Especially considering my personal deconversion story...learning about the theory of evolution didn't do it for me. Nor did any sort of personal tragedy, what made me cast Christianity aside was attending Christian schools and having it SHOVED into my face in the most ubiquitous sense of the word.

In short, Christian education made me an atheist

Yeah, we tell people that reading the bible is why we lost our faith, but no one believes us. They insist it was satan/education/me as the deceiving woman/pride etc. Funny how ironic it is! Good luck suffering through the end. Patience is a virtue! Rejoice when you are persecuted for your lack of belief! haha.

:ditto:

Exactly.

I went to a Catholic high school for one year before transferring to the public school. My actual deconversion didn't occur for a few years after that, though.

I'm toying with the idea of making my senior quote "God is Dead". They'd have that plastered in their 2010 year book forever!

or the slightly more subtle "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

I'm toying with the idea of making my senior quote "God is Dead". They'd have that plastered in their 2010 year book forever!

or the slightly more subtle "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

Actually you'd probably find that they'd find some excuse not to print it in the yearbook. They do have ultimate editorial control over the book after all. You are dealing with a private religious nutbag school here. So don't bother with that. I spent 8 years in Catholic school at the tail end of the McCarthy era. Trust me on this, it doesn't get much more fucked up than that. I spent my entire youth either in religious school, or across the street in Catholic church. One is just as bad as the other because they are one and the same. You only have a year or so left to go. Concentrate on the actual real life educational part of what you can get out of it, blow off the religious bullshit, and graduate. Then go to a completely secular college or university and begin to learn about reality.

The pisser is that you've been robbed of a proper high school education by a lot of religious idiots who think everything is attributable to "the Lawd". I ought to know. The wonder is that I survived it. But in the end, it was the stupid absurdity of Catholic dogma and doctrine that ultimately contributed to my journey into the wonderful world of non-belief.

You have a whole new life to look forward to. Grab it with gusto and move on.

That's me too!

Actually you'd probably find that they'd find some excuse not to print it in the yearbook. They do have ultimate editorial control over the book after all. You are dealing with a private religious nutbag school here. So don't bother with that. I spent 8 years in Catholic school at the tail end of the McCarthy era. Trust me on this, it doesn't get much more fucked up than that. I spent my entire youth either in religious school, or across the street in Catholic church. One is just as bad as the other because they are one and the same. You only have a year or so left to go. Concentrate on the actual real life educational part of what you can get out of it, blow off the religious bullshit, and graduate. Then go to a completely secular college or university and begin to learn about reality.

The pisser is that you've been robbed of a proper high school education by a lot of religious idiots who think everything is attributable to "the Lawd". I ought to know. The wonder is that I survived it. But in the end, it was the stupid absurdity of Catholic dogma and doctrine that ultimately contributed to my journey into the wonderful world of non-belief.

You have a whole new life to look forward to. Grab it with gusto and move on.

Thanks for the reply! :grin:

actually, the yearbook is put together by a small class....I'm not sure what their criteria for quotations would be, but I saw one last year that said "good bye (school name). However will I function without your soapy bubble of christian protection"? It was epic xD

there have also been quotes from the Buddah in there...

Wouldn't it suck if your parents forced you to go to a Christian college?

I just posted my experience in the Ex testimonies section about this.

Hell yes have I been affected by Christian schooling.

They can't, though. The worst they can do is say they won't pay for your education if you don't go to a christian college, and take it from someone who is paying for his own education out-of-pocket, it IS possible to put yourself through college. Not easy, and I wouldn't expect to finish in 4 years (you may have to go part-time if it's what you can afford), but it's absolutely possible and a great way to give your parents the metaphorical finger and say "Much the way I don't need your religion, I don't need YOU either." The sense of accomplishment is sublime and you're free to make any decisions you feel are best for you without being threatened with financial cutoff from parents who want to exert more control over you.

They can't, though. The worst they can do is say they won't pay for your education if you don't go to a christian college, and take it from someone who is paying for his own education out-of-pocket, it IS possible to put yourself through college. Not easy, and I wouldn't expect to finish in 4 years (you may have to go part-time if it's what you can afford), but it's absolutely possible and a great way to give your parents the metaphorical finger and say "Much the way I don't need your religion, I don't need YOU either." The sense of accomplishment is sublime and you're free to make any decisions you feel are best for you without being threatened with financial cutoff from parents who want to exert more control over you.

Actually, I'm really glad you've brought this up. I'm having problems with my parents attempting to coerce me into going to christian college (with the threat of financial cutoff if I don't comply). Advice in this area would be much appreciated

Actually, I'm really glad you've brought this up. I'm having problems with my parents attempting to coerce me into going to christian college (with the threat of financial cutoff if I don't comply). Advice in this area would be much appreciated

Make sure the financial aid office at your college knows that your parents are not contributing to your education -- you might be able to qualify for more aid. If your parents have a college account set up for you, do anything you can to get it in your name and your name only before implying that you might not be going to a christian college. Try to qualify as independent on your financial aid applications (I'm afraid I don't know how this works). When looking into colleges, also consider cost of living. When deciding on cost of food, keep in mind that you will likely be eating out more often than you originally plan. Apply for scholarships (fastweb and collegeboard have info. on a number of different ones).

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of more, I'll come back.

Guest heinekenbottle
I've been crammed into christian schools all my life. The only respite I've managed to attain was last year (sophmore year) when I attended a large public school due to my parent's inability to pay tuition.

But guess what! junior year rolls around and guess where my parents see fit to stick me? yup. The further down the rabbit hole (or in this case, the haggard syphilitic rectal orfice) of the christian school system I go, the more I'm convinced that places like this simply shouldn't be legal. I'm all for private education mind you, but when your school ceases to be an educational institution and in turn becomes a well funded babysitting operation, something needs to be done.

Add this to the fact that the school REQUIRES that their staff members' children attend the school (I have a parent that works there. Joy.) and it's no wonder that the school has the same reputation in the local community as the Zetas do in Mexico. It's pretty much like living in North Korea, only with another "blessed leader" being admired. The school requires you to sign a "pledge" saying that you'll behave how they see fit OUTSIDE of school. I can't be the only one who sees Orwellian mind control here.

Has anyone else ever been to a christian school? It's really difficult to explain just why they're so bad to someone who's never experienced one.

Ironically, I had a decent education in a Christian school. I was in one from K-8 and in another for 9-12.

And while they did shove us through Catholic rituals, they were still respectful of those who didn't believe. Non-catholics did not have to take part in mass, even though they did have to attend. Nor did they have to pray. Outside of mass, there actually wasn't much prayer.

And we learned evolution in biology, and we were taught, by a nun, that Genesis was mostly metaphorical. Outside of Mass once a week and a mandatory religion class, it was any typical high school and religion really wasn't ever found where it didn't belong.

Make sure the financial aid office at your college knows that your parents are not contributing to your education -- you might be able to qualify for more aid. If your parents have a college account set up for you, do anything you can to get it in your name and your name only before implying that you might not be going to a christian college. Try to qualify as independent on your financial aid applications (I'm afraid I don't know how this works). When looking into colleges, also consider cost of living. When deciding on cost of food, keep in mind that you will likely be eating out more often than you originally plan. Apply for scholarships (fastweb and collegeboard have info. on a number of different ones).

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I think of more, I'll come back.

My parents never set up a college account unfortunately...I've been trying to enter essay contests to win scholarship money and such.

Fastweb! I have an old account on there now that I think about it ^^

Well, if they have no money to put you through, or support you, then I guess you have less to worry about.

At the same time, Christian colleges will jump at good prospective students fi-aid-wise. Guess that it gooses up their academic standing or something.

And if money is and issue, I'd point out that the in-state universities are usually a good idea and a lot easier to pay for, while also being solid academically.

I went to a christian private school from K-4th.

When 5th grade rolled around, my folks decided it was time for me to be around REAL kids (I'm glad they did, though at the time I didn't think they were doing me any favors).

I went from being the "popular quirky kid" to "weird-ass nerd". 5th grade was a TOTAL bitch-slap for me. But I gotta say, my folks had their timing right on! I had 5th and 6th to accept and acclimate to public school before Jr High. More on that in a bit.

I stood up to answer questions....until the teacher finally told me I didn't have to do that (HEL-lo embarrassment).

Turned out my religious edjucashun replaced MATH...I was at least 2 grades behind in mathematics and had to be tutored in-school.

I didn't KNOW any swear words, or what certain hand gestures even meant.

So you can just imagine how life was...going from a private school to a public school in a lower-income part of town. Just FAN-tastic socially.

But thank the cats the folks didn't wait until Jr high! There was a boy who got switched THEN. Wore a suit to school everyday for the first month of 7th grade. I always kept an eye on him...we schooled together all the way to our Sr year. I have to say...he had a harder time of it than I did. I stayed socially "weird" but I was comfortable with it...which made others less apt to consider me fun to pick on. But this kid....I watched him sway and blow with each fad looking for the level of acceptence he'd lost leaving private school. When MC Hammer appeared on the scene...this was the kid wearing 'hammer pants" to school. He wasn't adept at any sports, but wore a basketball jersey and a baseball cap.

Needless to say, the sharks had him pegged as a wanna-be ANYTHING before he got within 500 feet of anyone.

Clothing fads weren't all he got into. He got into drugs at some point (not sure when)...and was high as a kite last time I ran into him.

It's sad...but watching him in school always made me shudder and think "There, but for the grace of god, go I."

Wasn't the grace of god of course...lot of family, personality, and social differences cumulated to make our different paths. Not to mention, if I could see so clearly what was happening to HIM, be pretty damn stupid to have to make the same mistakes myself. Plus, I think those extra two years in 5th and 6th went a long way towards prepping me for what was to come. I certainly knew better than trying to please others by Jr High...though I kinda wonder...even if he'd started public school in 5th grade too, if he'd have ever picked up on that lesson (he never did).

But yeah...I totally understand and empathize getting fucked up by christian school.

I have mixed feelings on this subject.

I went to a VERY fundie Southern Baptist school for 9 years of my elementary and middle school education. On the plus side, I entered public high school LIGHT YEARS ahead of my fellow students in every subject. My Christian school was very strict and had great curriculum (other than the religious stuff) and I was WAY beyond grade level in every way. The Christian school had us reading books and writing sentences in kindergarten (actually by age 3 or 4 if you attended their preschool). Now I see my friends' "public school" kids not reaching these same milestones until second grade.

On the other hand, the school only added to the xtian indoctrination I already got at home and in church. It was infused into everything -- not just Bible class. We were taught the theory of evolution but only as a way to keep us up to date. It was made "clear" it was not true and only Creationism was true. History was taught with a Christian worldview, etc. Very annoying and difficult to recover from later.