Goodbye Jesus

Medical Research or Playing God?

vargo

The idea that it is not a human being, but rather just tissue etc... this is an opinion not fact.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a midnight star

• Asimov

• Samurai Tailor

• RedPillAddict

The idea that it is not a human being, but rather just tissue etc... this is an opinion not fact.

A human being has a brain, an embryo does not.

A human being has a brain, an embryo does not.

Main Entry: 2human

Function: noun

: a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens) : MAN; broadly : any living or extinct member of the family (Hominidae) to which the primate belongs

- hu·man·like /-m&n-"lIk/ adjective

Now I have already established that the scientific view is that an embryo is life and is alive.

Again opinion, or if you really want to get technical, my opinion is technically correct.

again:

I am willing to agree to disagree with you.

THe is just as much factual basis for my opinion as there is for yours.

: a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens) : MAN; broadly : any living or extinct member of the family (Hominidae) to which the primate belongs

- hu·man·like  /-m&n-"lIk/ adjective 

Now I have already established that the scientific view is that an embryo is life and is alive.

Again opinion, or if you really want to get technical, my opinion is technically correct.

Question midnight?

Is a seed a Tree? Would you classify a seed at the same level as a Tree? It would be a potential tree, given the right growth environment, same goes for an embryo. It's a potential Human. However development and the right environment is needed for it to become officially human. same concept...

When do you consider a tree a tree? When you plant it? When I starts growing? Or not until it can be reconized as a tree?

When it starts growing.

When do you consider a tree a tree? When you plant it? When I starts growing? Or not until it can be reconized as a tree?

When it starts growing.

well not when it's a seed.

When It's sprouted and taken shape as a tree it's officially a tree. When I hold seeds in my hands to feed the birds, I don't consider myself giving the birds trees and flowers, I don't know anyone that does? Could be I'm wrong, have been before. :Doh:

They are seeds not plants. Just as embryos are potential humans, not officially humans.

SO both the scientific term and the dictionary terms mean nothing?

Again opinion not fact.

Look opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. I have been nice nor have I tried to invalidate your opinions and twice now I have agrred to disagree. Why is it so important that I agree with you all? I feel like I have made an intellegent and thoughtful case for my side. My opinions are not more invalid than yours.

I didn't state that they ment nothing, I suppose it's all a matter of Interpretation. What constitutes as Life? If one is living off a host is it really Life or is it living off a host until it can support itself?

I was trying to give you a different way to look at things, I ment no offense.

While I was seeking out answers, I did some studying on Jewish point of views. I question what or If God even is now, however during my seeking I wanted answers to a lot of my Political stances. Things that were difficult and didn't have a definitive answer. Such as if a women is raped or incest does she have a moral right to have an abortion. If it is okay in these instances why would it be prohibited in other instances? I have always held the belief that it was morally acceptable to have an abortion especially if one was raped, incest or what have you. I wanted solid proof that my feelings were perhaps wrong. or perhaps I wanted proof that I was right?

anyways Long story short, I forget where I read it anyways one Jewish writing somewhere stated that when God created Adam he was made from dust, dirt, earth. There was no life until god breathed a soul into Adams nostrils. It clicked logically to me, and I saw the creation story, and life in a different perspective. I have since turned to science to answer these hard questions.

You're correct that an opinion is not fact, Facts need support opinions are a thought, feeling with no proof. I suppose with me anyways, that the "embryos are humans" debates, reminds me of the fundies, I dunno. Anyways, I'll stay off this topic as well.

I guess next time I reply to you, I'll look for something to agree with you on so you don't feel as though you're being attacked. :grin:

I did not feel attacked. My morals, values, belief systems, or what have you are not based on religion. Christians are not the only ones who are pro-life etc... The difference is, christians are always wanting to tell you it is "their way or no way", I on the other hand happen to respect the fact that no everybody is going to think the way I do, that doesn't bother me in the least.

I just feel sometimes that people feel that since I am an xer then I "shouldn't" think this way." To me that is no different than the fundies. It is like since I don't fit the mold, then my opinion doesn't count. (or maybe it is the fact that I didn't fit the christian mold either). I feel like I don't belong anywhere.

I don't belong in christian forums because I am an xer, I don't feel like I fit in here because I am a repub.

Even as a christian I was looked down upon because I make my judgements and decisions on what I feel is the right thing.

Do you have any idea how fustrating that is? But at the same time liberating, because it is all me, not what anybody thinks I should believe. It really is a double-edged sword. I make up my own mind. My opinions are mine and mine only, not puppeted from some group. (no I am NOT saying that is what you are doing).

I guess next time I reply to you, I'll  look for something to agree with you on so you don't feel as though you're being attacked.    :grin:

I like your avatar!!! We agree on that :)

I could argue that since nature created it so then it belongs to nature rather than any person. 

Nature is not a physical being, lays no claim to anything, and cannot have rights of it's own.

Dictionary.com:

1. The material world and its phenomena.

2. The forces and processes that produce and control all the phenomena of the material world: the laws of nature.

3. The world of living things and the outdoors: the beauties of nature.

4. A primitive state of existence, untouched and uninfluenced by civilization or artificiality: couldn't tolerate city life anymore and went back to nature.

5. Theology. Humankind's natural state as distinguished from the state of grace.

6. A kind or sort: confidences of a personal nature.

7. The essential characteristics and qualities of a person or thing: “She was only strong and sweet and in her nature when she was really deep in trouble” (Gertrude Stein).

8. The fundamental character or disposition of a person; temperament: “Strange natures made a brotherhood of ill” (Percy Bysshe Shelley).

9. The natural or real aspect of a person, place, or thing. See Synonyms at disposition.

10. The processes and functions of the body.

- hu·man·like  /-m&n-"lIk/ adjective 

I sense a bit of equivocation. The dictionary definition specifies "living" as opposed to dead. But it does not say what it means to be a non-dead human.

No such thing as what? A non-dead human? I think you are confused.

Show me that an "un-dead human" is in any way supported by science. Show me that science supports that there is even such a term.

You can't debate what has become a debate using science and word meaning with a word or phrase that does not exist within the dictionary or science. Otherwise you are just making up words to support your opinion. Which in fact turns your post into an opinion piece. Which is fine is you were using it only to show your opinion and not fact in anyway, shape, or form.

Well, I wrote "non-dead human" rather than "un-dead." In any case, "non-dead" is a rhetorical device intended to call attention to the fact that "living" is being used in two slightly different ways.

Still waiting for proof that it is not a word that you made up.