Goodbye Jesus

I'm Not Mad At Jesus

PandaPirate

My boyfriend asks me why atheists (and I'm not atheist btw) are so full of hate and anger toward Christians? He says, "If you don't believe god exists then why are you so mad at him? It would be like being mad at the Easter Bunny."

Well, not exactly, I tell him. First of all, the Easter Bunny doesn't solicit me for my time and my money. The Easter Bunny does not tell me I'm going to hell if I don't believe. The Easter Bunny doesn't do anything except lay pretty coloured eggs.

What I am angry at is these people who constantly spread lies and call them the truth. That's what genuinely pisses me off.

• Super Moderator

I think most (American) atheists were once in the grip of the Christian cult, and have every right to be pissed now that we know better. It's the misguided people and institutions wielding power over others we hate, because you can't hate a god or Jesus that doesn't exist. We are also angry with ourselves for allowing the deception to waste part of our life.

Deception. That's exactly it. These people are charlatans. They tell you that if you do it just right you will go to heaven but in the mean time we need your money.

• Super Moderator

Charlatan.

Illiterite creatin.

My boyfriend asks me why atheists (and I'm not atheist btw) are so full of hate and anger toward Christians? He says, "If you don't believe god exists then why are you so mad at him? It would be like being mad at the Easter Bunny."

Its a really tiring argument, and I think deep down Christians know better.

Charlatan.

Illiterite creatin.

You mean I'm an illiterate amino acid? :o

Did we not have a reason to be angry once we found out the Easter bunny or Santa wasnt real and that our parents lied to us?

Yes, a child has every reason to be Mad/Sad/Angry towards their parents and every parent that tells children that santa or the bunny is --without a doubt-- real.

Children don't become angry at the Easter Bunny (maybe, but thats a different discussion on focus), they become angry and distrusting of their parents. This natural reaction also eminates throughout adult reactions when they find something false that was once regarded as absolute truth.

Do we hate 'god'? No, we hate the idea that it is fed to us as truth when there is the real truth out there -- but people are afraid to display it.

Atheists may or may not become abhorrant towards the religious (That is a personal choice, not a universal indication of being atheist), where as we have every right to act abhorrant towards the religio(n/ous).

Charlatan.

Illiterite creatin.

You misspelled 'illiterate cretin.' :HaHa:

Charlatan.

Illiterite creatin.

You misspelled 'illiterate cretin.' :HaHa:

tee hee...that's why I said, "You mean I'm an illiterate amino acid?"

• Super Moderator

A simple misteak.

Florduh has a very keen sense of irony. ;)

The Easter Bunny didn't steal thousands of hours of my life

I remember back in the days when I was a fundy, I hated Santa and the Easter bunny for interfering with god's holy dayz. Then when I got a grip on reality, as shaky as it may be, I do not mind the holidays with the Easter bunny and Santa as a healthy alternative to Christianity's holidays.

A simple misteak.

Did someone mention FOOD?

This is a great thread topic. Angry at Jesus? I feel horrible about what happened to him. I would never want to see someone tortured and killed. Andd as per the time he lived in, his message was relatively good. Had any responsible person been there, in his time, i think that person would have done their very best to stop the sadism. We need not be angry at any crucifixion victim, surely they went through enough.

It is in fact, the pushy so called followers, that we direct our anger at. They do a lot of dmage, no doubt, as do we. But we do not go around pointing fingers at them, threatening them with eternal torture. The longer i stay away from the dogma, the more comfortable i am getting with it. i still hope for an afterlife, but Christianity, i just do not see how this can be it.

I'm mad at religion and the delusion thereof because these lies make people justify actions they could not justify otherwise, and they preach ignorance and block human progress purely to preserve the faith.

There are good Christians who do improve humanity, but they can be just as good without the supernatural, and then they wouldn't be enabling the bad Christians. If we removed religion, and taught rational thinking to all children, then we'd save time, money, and lots of pain without having society end. Even if we still preached about Christ and his morality, and just said he was a great man like Confucius, we'd make great leaps.

Isn't that like someone asking why are black people so full of hate and anger towards racist bigots? I could easily turn the question around on Christians. Christians don't believe what atheists say, so why are they mad at atheists when they take away their special privileges?

Isn't that like someone asking why are black people so full of hate and anger towards racist bigots? [...]

...or why the rest of the world went to war against Nazi Germany et cetera ad nauseam.

That said, personally I have to admit I am pissed about the description of the heavenly sadist, because of what kind of monster it would be if it was real (If it could possibly be real all it deserved would be the Finger and a good whipping). Not that any morontheist will be able to comprehend the difference, even if it was willing to try. :Hmm:

Maybe it's just the way you've written it but as I'm reading this what I see are two things: 1) Atheists hate xians. 2) Atheists wrongly direct their hate at an object they don't believe exists ("god").

But the way it's phrased there aren't two things being said but one large thing. Atheists hate xians and by equivocation "god." Meaning xians and "god" are basically interchangeable here. If you hate one you hate the other and that simply isn't rational since "you" (atheists) don't even believe in "god." So obviously you cannot hate xians ("god") unless you're willing to concede this is as logical as harboring anger towards something like the Easter Bunny. I suppose by this logic it is since xians all commit their lives to something like the Easter Bunny whether they care to ever understand that or not.

mwc

Great post mwc. :)

I'm pissed mad at Jesus like they're mad at Mormonism, Islam, Buddhism, and all the other ism's that disagree with their views. I'm a little dumbfounded that people are actually this dense. I see this idiotic question a lot, and it seems that no matter how many times you tell this people that you're angry with the BELIEF, they still want to believe you're really mad at the real thing. But I think that's part of why they are so stuck on their religion and can't see outside of it; it's because they have their head so far up their own ass that they can never see anything from anyone else's perspective. They can't even IMAGINE what it would be like if their god didn't exist. This is the same reason hypothetical arguments usually fail with Christians, because they can't even consider that life could be different than how they see it.

Guest Windstorm
This is a great thread topic. Angry at Jesus? I feel horrible about what happened to him. I would never want to see someone tortured and killed. Andd as per the time he lived in, his message was relatively good. Had any responsible person been there, in his time, i think that person would have done their very best to stop the sadism. We need not be angry at any crucifixion victim, surely they went through enough.

Lol, even if he was real back in those times, I probably would have been one of the individuals mocking him for the fun of it. I know, I'm just a cold-hearted person right? :P.

If I were around I would have said "Speak English!" Then hit him with a rock when he couldn't. Lying SOB. A real god would speak English on request.

mwc

A real god would have tattooed his commandments along with a User Manual on each of us. That way it would be quite clear "it" existed.

A real god would have tattooed his commandments along with a User Manual on each of us. That way it would be quite clear "it" existed.

Yeah, it's a little weird that the Christian god is so adamant about people following rules, and yet, he doesn't bother to give them to millions of people, and the people that do have them can't even agree on what they mean.