Goodbye Jesus

"out Of The Atheism Closet Now"

Puddinhead

We have a bumpy road as we come "out" to our families and friends. What stands out in your mind when you think about coming out as an Atheist?

For me, it was when my Dad was in the hospital for prostate surgery. He was 1000 miles from home, and once again, my siblings were all home praying and I schlepped myself and my kids out to the hospital to be with dad. My always-blunt kindergarten daughter, Dana, was watching her grandpa with troubled eyes. She breaks the hospital room silence with "Are you worried you're going to DIE Grandpa?" Dad looks surprised, his eyes widen at her question and then he launches his response, "No, I'm not Dana. Because I believe in Jesus, I know that death isn't a permanent thing. If I were to die, I'd be with Jesus in heaven, where there will be no more pain and no more tears. Jesus broke the chains of death and I have nothing to fear." Dana then pipes right up with "Oh, we don't believe in Jesus and god and all that stuff."

Me, "OK kids! Who's hungry? Let's go get a bite!"

Gawd!!

Wow, now that is a coming out to remember

• Super Moderator

Great story! Almost makes me wish I had kids. Almost.

There are no secrets when you have kids. :lol:

OMG!!!! This is the best! :lmao: I LOVE kids!!!

I cannot come even close to this. I blurted it out to my mom on the phone when I did NOT mean to do so and posted about it here: Link

Looking back, I realize I was so anxious about telling her, but other than a couple of conversations and the fact that I no longer attend church, nothing has changed. I thought she would be devastated, but she did survive. I’m sure she’s worried, and after she had a margarita at dinner a couple of weeks ago (she doesn’t usually drink so it really packed a punch!) she let me know that she was angry at me, but for the most part… no problem. I’m very thankful that she is not tormenting me over it.

She did make me laugh when I was in rehab after my recent surgery. She stopped by after church one Sunday to visit and a couple of my friends were visiting. At one point during the conversation, she zeroed in on one of the men and said, “Is this the man who’s trying to tell you there’s no god???” Since the poor guy did not have a clue what she was talking about I just said no and explained it to him after she left. She was actually referring to my best friend, who is an atheist. She wants to blame him for my deconversion. I guess she thinks I am just too fucking stupid to think for myself. It pisses me off, but it’s not worth the time it would take to discuss it with her. Besides, if he hadn’t sent me the Zeitgeist movie and kept poking at me, my filter might still be firmly in place. So, perhaps it is his fault!!! Hmmmmm… I wonder if I ever properly thanked him?

The oddest account I have had was when I had to make a speech in one of my classes and a guy randomly asked if I believed in Jesus--it was just purely random and he isn't one of the nut fucks who evangelizes to anyone. I just replied that I am an atheist and there is some contention on whether or not Jesus actually existed as a person, but no, I don't believe him to be a deity. The guy just shrugged and said, "OK."

I haven't come out to too many people, but the weirdest one was when I was on a Greyhound bus and I was talking to the guy sitting beside me. He randomly asks me what church I went to. I asked him to repeat the question because I was thinking, "Okay...now what do I do?" Then I thought, "You know what? I could lie and say that I'm a xian, but I'm not going to do that," and I told him that I'm an atheist. The look on his face was just priceless. He didn't even know what an atheist was, so he was like, "What?" So I had to repeat it louder and someone turned around and stared at me lol. I was fully expecting this huge backlash from people, but no one said anything about it, and I didn't really care either way. He was fine with it, though. What made it even weirder was that the guy sitting behind me had been on the same bus with me the entire way there and he had been talking previously about trying to convert people to xianity and I almost expected him to say something about it, but he didn't even talk to me about it.

:lmao: :lmao:

wow.

Oh that is brilliant! Love it!

Hey for some of us more nervous tip toe around the subject types, we could just rent a little kid out for the day and allow them do the 'dirty work' for us then make hasty exits.