Goodbye Jesus

Spock And Uhura?

I just heard on TV this morning that Spock and Uhura hook up in this new movie? WTF?? Are they ignoring everything that has been established in the last 40 years of Star Trek? What about Pon Farr?

I wasn't planning on seeing this blasphemy anyway, but now I'm downright pissed! Why would they just disregard something that is not just firmly established in Vulcan culture, there are episodes and several plot lines that discuss Pon Farr, they can't just throw it out the window!

Grrr!

:angry:

I just heard on TV this morning that Spock and Uhura hook up in this new movie? WTF?? Are they ignoring everything that has been established in the last 40 years of Star Trek? What about Pon Farr?

I wasn't planning on seeing this blasphemy anyway, but now I'm downright pissed! Why would they just disregard something that is not just firmly established in Vulcan culture, there are episodes and several plot lines that discuss Pon Farr, they can't just throw it out the window!

Grrr!

:angry:

Disagree, I saw it and thought all the characters fulfilled their giant shoes to near perfect levels. I really can't say enough good things about it. I will say I thought it was going to blow chunks instead it blew me away. I'd really go see it before you give it a flaming thumbs down. It's sci-Fi... and it works! ;)

Guest Marty

I'm not so sure I want to see it, really. That last Indiana Jones was really bad, and I wish I never tainted my memory with it. The same goes for the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy. But as far as the new ST goes, I've watched a lot of the promos being aired this week and these are my thoughts. Since you've seen it, perhaps you can let me know if these fears are well founded or not. Keep in mind I am a Trekkie.

1) This movie is set in an alternate time line, so it gives writers free license to change whatever they want to and use this line of thought to explain it away. If this is true, they are essentially not making a ST movie, just slapping the name on it to sell tickets.

2) None of the actors look like who they are supposed to be, with the obvious exceptions of Spock and Uhura. But even Spock is 20 pounds heavier than Nimoy was in TOS. Is that the "freshman 15"? :) And I can't tell who is supposed to be Kirk unless I was there for the scene setup before they ran the clip. Which leads me to my next concern...

3) In none of the clips I have seen so far do I believe the characters are who they are supposed to be. In talk show interviews with the actors who play Kirk and Spock, both were asked if they were ST fans prior to getting the roles and they both said no, they weren't. I think it really shows. It seems they invented their own characters instead of expanding on the ones that have existed for the last 40 years.

4) Like most movies today, story is sacrificed in favor of "look what we can do with computers today" special effects. For me, the story is what makes ST so great. I'm not a sci-fi fan because I like alot of fancy graphics. I'm a sci-fi fan because I love the metaphor that is found within well written sci-fi.

Those are my worries! :(

I admit that when I first heard they were making this movie a few years ago, I had no intention of seeing it. As a fan of the original series, most of the movies and the later series (with the exception of the last episodes of The Next Generation) have really been disappointing. I would have been happy if they had never made Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, or the first two seasons of Next Generation.

Realistically, however, if we are going to have a continuation of Star Trek as depicted in the original series, we are going to have to have young actors portraying Kirk, Spock, and the other major characters. If these actors in this movie can somehow portray these characters, then I think it would be successful. It is a tall order, however.

I would be happy if they could start over and avoid some of the mistakes of the later series and movies, such as too much techno-babble and endless negotiations with aliens.

I don't see a problem with an action oriented film. Some of the best episodes from the original series were very action packed and if the special effects had been available they have nowadays, Roddenberry would have used them.

I like what i have seen so far of the previews and am encouraged by the positive reviews. I have decided to go see it this weekend.

Guest Marty
I would be happy if they could start over and avoid some of the mistakes of the later series and movies, such as too much techno-babble and endless negotiations with aliens.

Oh, the techno-babble is one of my favorite things! :) The writers most always do their homework and the techno-babble is actually theoretically sound. I just about shit my pants when I heard them discussing "Heisenberg Compensators" when troubleshooting the transporter in TNG.

Oh, the techno-babble is one of my favorite things! :) The writers most always do their homework and the techno-babble is actually theoretically sound. I just about shit my pants when I heard them discussing "Heisenberg Compensators" when troubleshooting the transporter in TNG.

Well, Marty, we will just have to disagree on that point :) . I still hate techno-babble. I will let you know if I think this new movie is true to the spirit of the original series. I am old enough to remember when the TV series first aired.

I have seen pictures of the ship and am also happy to see they went back more to the original design.

I just came back from watching it. This new movie is very well done. I recommend everyone go see it!

As for Spock and Uhura - I remember one of the very earliest episodes "Charlie X" where Uhura is singing a song about Spock. I thought about that song and it made me wonder about their relationship. She sings:

"Oh, on the Starship Enterprise There's someone who's in Satan's guise, Whose devil's ears and devil's eyes Could rip your heart from you! At first his look could hypnotize, And then his touch would barbarize. His alien love could victimize... And rip your heart from you! And that's why female astronauts Oh very female astronauts Wait terrified and overwrought To find what he will do. Oh girls in space, be wary, be wary, be wary! Girls in space, be wary! We know not what he'll do."

I'm not so sure I want to see it, really. That last Indiana Jones was really bad, and I wish I never tainted my memory with it. The same goes for the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy. But as far as the new ST goes, I've watched a lot of the promos being aired this week and these are my thoughts. Since you've seen it, perhaps you can let me know if these fears are well founded or not. Keep in mind I am a Trekkie.

This Movie is NOTHING like the gawd aweful Indy movie. It's on a whole 'nother level. My father is a Trekkie and saw it on IMAX and loved it. He's going to see it again.

1) This movie is set in an alternate time line, so it gives writers free license to change whatever they want to and use this line of thought to explain it away. If this is true, they are essentially not making a ST movie, just slapping the name on it to sell tickets.

Yes and No, I can say it but It will ruin the movie so I'll refrain. I will say this, there is such as thing as bending to make a movie become something else, that did not happen in this case. Some things Change but they also stay the same.

2) None of the actors look like who they are supposed to be, with the obvious exceptions of Spock and Uhura. But even Spock is 20 pounds heavier than Nimoy was in TOS. Is that the "freshman 15"? :) And I can't tell who is supposed to be Kirk unless I was there for the scene setup before they ran the clip. Which leads me to my next concern...

Every single Character has stayed true to form and has passed expectations in my book. There wasn't one character that was underdone or forgotten. Every person was believable to me.

3) In none of the clips I have seen so far do I believe the characters are who they are supposed to be. In talk show interviews with the actors who play Kirk and Spock, both were asked if they were ST fans prior to getting the roles and they both said no, they weren't. I think it really shows. It seems they invented their own characters instead of expanding on the ones that have existed for the last 40 years.

I think you should see it first then say for sure. I couldn't disagree with you more. The writers, actors, directors have revived StarTrek IMO.

4) Like most movies today, story is sacrificed in favor of "look what we can do with computers today" special effects. For me, the story is what makes ST so great. I'm not a sci-fi fan because I like alot of fancy graphics. I'm a sci-fi fan because I love the metaphor that is found within well written sci-fi.

It's a great story line which is enhanced with special effects. The effects don't out do the story here. IMO

Those are my worries! :(

You will be surprised, you're worried about nothing IMO. I honestly went due to family pressure. My husband and boys wanted to see it I really didn't want to. I went in thinking I was going to hate it, I didn't, quite the opposite really. I give it 5 out of 5 stars.

I have to offer a third "thumbs up" for the movie.

In a sense, it offered a much needed "clean slate" for many of the transgressions of the Star Trek franchise after TOS.

While I agree that movies (including but not at all limited to sci-fi) usually go downhill with sequels, I think that I will consider this the best Star Trek movie to date, it's only competition being the first three Next Generation movies (of course even the better of the first six movies never even came close to living up to the series, IMO).

Yes, I do have a few nit-picks, while they didn't help (and probably detracted some), they did not ruin the movie for me, the biggest one: I could be wrong, but I think that Checkov was about 5 years older than he was supposed to be.

I actually enjoyed the new movie, and I'm a huge Trek fan, to the point where I'm a member of a fan club and have been for about 10 years. It was much better than I expected. There are also a few pleasant surprises.

I like techno-babble. I like reading my computer's manual, I like reading everything, especially how something works. Spock and Uhura should get hooked up; they are in space a zillion light years from the nearest planet; they save each other's asses all through the days of the original Star Trek and they do show fondness for each other in the movies. I'm a fan cuz I grew up with Spock and Uhura. In fact, I can remember a time without Star Trek! Star Trek rocks and it doesn't bother me who plays the parts. The original actors are passing away and it is good that they are making Trek appealing to new viewers. It is a great yarn with timeless appeal. I love it.

Okay I admit I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I LOVED the new movie. It was exciting and fast paced without sacrificing character development. It was smart without taking itself too seriously. And the cast had great chemistry. I wanted them to take off on a new mission at the end! I was ready for another movie already.

I'm more of a casual fan, I admit, and I LOVED the film. Audience was cheering at the end, I definitely will go see it again soon.

I'm very sure you'd enjoy the film.

Spock/Uhura worked every well, as did the alternate timeline. If you don't mind a small spoiler on that issue:

The characters are aware there is an alternate timeline thing going on.

And a little something from the humor and satire section:

Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

:lol:

As has been pointed out....there were subtle implications that there was something special between Uhura and Spock established in the main timeline. Unlike Christine Chapel, Uhura did not wear her adoration exposed to all on her sleeve. Uhura was capable of DISCRETION...which would make her much more attractive to someone like Spock, who was raised by a very restrained and private race.

The only problem I had with their relationship aspect in the new movie, was at a certain point...*spoiler*

it got rather public. I didn't mind Kirk seeing them, but the transporter crew as well....PDA faux pas for a Vulcan. Her presence in the transporter standing close enough to whisper, staring, but without touching....that would have been enough. The more physical episode in the turbolift was sufficient, and I would even go so far as to say... it was possibly the first time Uhura had touched him that intimately (in the new timeline branch)....and if that were the case...why NOT respond? He was already as shell-shocked as he could possibly have been. And it's not like he was lifebound at that point anymore. T'Pring was likely dead (she never struck me as the type to go off-planet). And if your life is endangered by the need to mate every 7 years, it's not like you are going to be coy, slow, or hesitant about establishing a new relationship. Especially with someone with Uhura's strength and stability at a time when you are searching for those qualities in yourself.

I saw an article today that reported what Leonard Nimoy thought of it. He liked it. And since he was credited in the movie as "Spock Prime", I kinda feel that settles the matter. If the relationship had really been totally OOC, you think he wouldn't have said something?

I too will add my voice to the positive reviews. A lot of the story revolves around the new cadets and their first, very rushed, journey into space. The pacing was really good, kept you interested the whole time. Great special effects, good casting, and definately open for sequels.

One thing I really liked is that Kirk wasn't invincible. He often gets beaten, makes mistakes and appears very human (its one thing I always hated about Steven Seagals movies, they guy is just untouchable, and it makes for very dull viewing. Sure he probably is that good in real life, but its much easy to root for the underdog).

Regarding techno-babble, there was some but kept to a minimum. They did talk about dilithium crystals, and some discussions on space anomilies. Just enough of a sprinkling to be sci-fi without leaving the general population going "what the hell are they on about?"

Guest Marty

Well, I've decided to not see the movie at this time. I may see it when it comes out on DVD, but even then I doubt it. Blame Spielberg and Lucas for this if you want, I just can not trust Hollywood to not fuck shit up anymore. I know they have nothing to do with this movie, but I have not been pleased with a lot of ST since Rodenberry died either. Even though everyone here has enjoyed the movie, I do not want to take the risk of ruining yet another cherished childhood franchise for me. I thought the ST movies were dead when they killed Data in the last one, so I don't feel I'm missing anything here with this one. I also read the spoilers posted here and most of my fears were confirmed, which does not make the movie any more attractive to me.

Thanks for chiming in though, and I'm glad at least you all enjoyed it ! :)

I thought the ST movies were dead when they killed Data in the last one

It's a pretty universal sentiment among Trekkies that Nemesis doesn't really count as part of Star Trek canon. Rick Berman was taking liberties with the franchise long before then, but it wasn't until Nemesis and Enterprise, when Gene was dead and he'd finally managed to excise Majel from the process entirely that he started really fucking around with things. Fortunately, after the atrocious run of the latter, Paramount finally caught on to the fact he was butchering the franchise and gave him the boot.

I haven't seen the movie, and despite the near universally positive reviews I'm unsure whether it'll actually manage to resurrect Trek (at least not as the sci-fi exploration show we all know and love), but by all accounts Abrams has treated the franchise with far more respect than Berman ever pretended to. For that alone, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Just came across this: Leonard Nimoy's quote from an AP article about the new Spock/Uhura relationship: ""Beautiful, beautiful. Wonderful," said Leonard Nimoy, who reprises his role as the older Spock in the movie. "Both of them played it so well. They were both so available to each other. Very touching, really."

Just saw the movie and I, too have to agree that it was excellently done. In addition to the above, I'd like to point out that Karl Urban did an amazing job as McCoy throughout the movie. Overall the actors stayed close to the original concepts.

And just a warning, if, when the DVD comes out, you decide to play the tag-line drinking game, there is a scene that will put you into a coma. There is just the right amount of tongue in cheek in the movie.

And yes, this is in an alternate continuity at this point, and they actually say so during the movie.

And no, it is not reset at the end.

I commented after the movie to my wife that they had made "Star Trek -- Wing" at this point. She told me not to give the fanfic writers any more ideas.

We saw it yesterday - a TOS purist, a SW fan, and TNG Grrl (me). All of us liked it, though the TOS purist had to sleep on it before he admitted he was warming to the idea.

It's an excellent reboot of the ST franchise that pays worthy homage to the original series while offering an updated look and plenty of opportunity for new creative possibilities. The special effects were outstanding, the characters recognizable but with enough differences not to be simple knock-offs, and the acting was solid. It wasn't a waste of two hours of my life; in fact I'd see it again and find it entertaining.

So I'd recommend it, even to diehard TOS fans.

Well, I've decided to not see the movie at this time. I may see it when it comes out on DVD, but even then I doubt it. Blame Spielberg and Lucas for this if you want, I just can not trust Hollywood to not fuck shit up anymore.

Actually, I'm very impressed by Lucas. How many guys can boast that they raped THEMSELVES?

Well, I've decided to not see the movie at this time. I may see it when it comes out on DVD, but even then I doubt it. Blame Spielberg and Lucas for this if you want, I just can not trust Hollywood to not fuck shit up anymore.

Actually, I'm very impressed by Lucas. How many guys can boast that they raped THEMSELVES?

Um....What????

Um....What????

South Park reference :HaHa:

But Spock died in Wrath of Khan..