Goodbye Jesus

Boy Scouts of America - should they be supported?

TexasFreethinker

That is what frustration does to me. hehe. I can't make up my mind what to do.

Sometimes I just feel so jaded, that leaving sounds very good at times.

To me many Amerikkkans suck ass. Not all though.

BTW I'm in college not HS.

So you never went to high school? Are you at a private institution or a public one? And does that have any bearing at all.

You have your right to believe as you want but beware of how ignorant you make yourself appear when you speak of "Amerikkka" and then talk about duty and being a citizen. Do not claim to remain loyal to the ideals of a nation (whether present ideals or ideals of its founding fathers) and proceed to denigrate and insult that nation at the same time. Doing that betrays the actual amount of time you have actually spent digesting the duality of this subject.

:scratch:

So you never went to high school?  Are you at a private institution or a public one?  And does that have any bearing at all.

No. I was just being defensive. I went to Public HS, and finnished HS at a alternative learning program through our community college. I will be a real college boy this fall.

You have your right to believe as you want but beware of how ignorant you make yourself appear when you speak of "Amerikkka" and then talk about duty and being a citizen.  Do not claim to remain loyal to the ideals of a nation (whether present ideals or ideals of its founding fathers) and proceed to denigrate and insult that nation at the same time.  Doing that betrays the actual amount of time you have actually spent digesting the duality of this subject.

:scratch:

Yea. That seems about right.

I am not always consistent. What I posted earlier was pure emotionalism. I'm glad I said it here than in RT! hehe.

I am glad that heathens point these things out in me. I just get pissed off sometimes.

Who here has not said something in a fit of emotion? I can safely ask those without sin to throw the first stone and not worry about being grazed by a pebble. I think, if I discussed such matters, you would find that I very firmly believe the current state of this nation makes a mockery of the ideals it was founded on. But I love those ideals, and I love that nation. And for the sake of where we started, I firmly believe this nation can be saved and eventually brought back to it's original liberties.

That said, I have often considered living abroad for a period. Maybe even staying abroad for the rest of my life. But even if I should leave, my love for that nation will persist. I am sorrowful for where we, as a nation, are. There are a lot of assholes in this nation... and a lot of problems... a lot of things it has done wrong. I can't argue with that... still, in my personal life, I am careful to make the distinction between what this nation was, and could be, and the state it currently is in.

Who here has not said something in a fit of emotion?  I can safely ask those without sin to throw the first stone and not worry about being grazed by a pebble.  I think, if I discussed such matters, you would find that I very firmly believe the current state of this nation makes a mockery of the ideals it was founded on.  But I love those ideals, and I love that nation.  And for the sake of where we started, I firmly believe this nation can be saved and eventually brought back to it's original liberties.

That said, I have often considered living abroad for a period.  Maybe even staying abroad for the rest of my life.  But even if I should leave, my love for that nation will persist.  I am sorrowful for where we, as a nation, are.  There are a lot of assholes in this nation... and a lot of problems... a lot of things it has done wrong.  I can't argue with that... still, in my personal life, I am careful to make the distinction between what this nation was, and could be, and the state it currently is in.

I agree with everything youv'e said here. It's just that I am paranoid and afraid of superstitionists..especially xers, which seems to be the majority. What I forget is that some of our Founding Fathers were xers, and the xians of that time wanted protection from eachother. hehe. They wanted a separation of church and state. Maybe xers will again feel the same way as the earlier xians felt about our government. It can happen.

From what I see, the BSA is outdated anyway. Their policies are more appropriate for the '50s rather than the new millenium and the goals they've set for their members have little to do with the more complex world today's children are experiencing. I think the real reason that BSA membership roles are falling is that it no longer meets the needs of today's generation who are more interested in technology, science, developing trade or creative skills that could be used in the real world or doing hands-on community service work. They're also far more sophisticated than previous generations and need more stimulation to keep them interested in being in the troop. If it's true that scouting activities were originally meant to prepare boys for military service, something that in light of the war in Iraq, parents aren't so eager to see their boys in, then they might want to include other options such as college prep or job skills for the older ones.

I'm not sure where camping out plays into making them better citizens, although it's great for recreation, survival skills and bonding but would it be better if they also helped in the efforts to preserve forests that are disappearing due to commercial logging and finding other ways to help the environment? And of course, many of these children come from diverse cultures including those who aren't Christian, Jewish and some who don't believe in a diety at all. Isn't this how the real world is made up and is one of the things we learn about American citizenship is that this country welcomes everyone regardless of race, religion and sexual orientation?

If the scouts are supposedly teaching "good citizenship" why do they ignore a very fundamental part of what we value as a nation? They can't say they honor this country while ignoring it's most sacred values regarding freedom of religion and tolerence for others who are different.

Folks should speak out against bigotry. I veto the BSA. I would never support them.

Amerikkka sux ass. I'm leaving as soon as I can.

Some things in America do sux ass, DC, that doesn't mean America Suxs ass. Why do you think it 'suxs ass so much?

There is also a lot of good in this country, There is no perfect place on earth, every country has it's negative.

I have 3 boys myself and I never had them join the boy scouts, mainly because of their religious beliefs. They join sports, Young Heroes, and band thru their school and town.

Bravo Thankful, well said....take it from someone who has lived in a great number of other nations, USA has few rivals and even fewer equals....Heimdall :wicked:

Girl killed by falling tree at Boy Scout camp

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...ills-girl_x.htm

USA Today - Aug 10, 2005

... NJ (AP) — An 8-year-old girl died and three others were injured Wednesday when a tree fell on them during a first-aid class at a Boy Scout camp, authorities ...

Lightning kills Boy Scout at Utah camp

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...htm?POE=NEWISVA

USA Today - Aug 3, 2005

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Lightning killed one Boy Scout and injured three others while they slept in a shelter at a mountain scout camp, authorities said ...

2005 Boy Scout Jamboree: 10 days of storms, sickness

Scranton Times, PA - Aug 2, 2005

... diving. Charles and his brother Craig, 13, are two of 80 scouts in the Northeastern Pennsylvania Boy Scout Council contingent. But ...

Five Boy Scout leaders die in Va. accident

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...in_va_accident/

Boston Globe, United States - Jul 25, 2005

... More than 40,000 Boy Scouts, leaders and volunteers from around the world are attending the 2005 National Scout Jamboree, being held the Army's Fort AP Hill

It doesn’t matter much what we think about the Scouts, but it sure looks like God isn't too happy with their discriminatory ways. :nono:

The reason I think most Americans suck ass is that they are religionists. Religionists make me feel uncomfortable, becuase I never know exactly what to expect from them. To descriminate on issues based on "god says" is down right dangerous and lacking in any empathy for people who are different.

If the foundation of self is a idiotic and bigoted mythology book, and/or the church/pastor that peddles such dope, then some where, some time, the religionists will discriminate based on fairy tail idiocy and irrational prejudices.

Xers, trying to rile up all xers and assimilate even more into the xer borg collective , megachurches....is kinda scary to me. Xianity is a war doctrine, whether or not a denomination is nonviolent or not, Xianity is a warlord bent on absolute control. They want the whole damn world. They want every damn government. My parents are pentecostals and they are pretty nonviolent but still are crazy bigoted control freaks, but I have lived with my aunt and uncle who are southern baptists and they are very, very motivated to spread hate. The aunt that keeps an eye on me now is Church of Christ, even they are control freaks and some have a hard on for politics. Politics and religion is a very opressive mix. Most every politician is a whore for jesus because it gets votes.

Xers scare the hell out of me.

Amerikkka sux ass. I'm leaving as soon as I can.

Good luck finding somewhere better. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

On other hand, you could work at improving the nation. If you're a crazy person like me, you could join the Free State Project.

Good luck finding somewhere better. Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.

There are plenty of nice places to live in the world. For someone disgruntled, Mexico or Central America are not bad. There are only a few places in Mexico that need to be avoided, but then again, I wouldn't want to venture long into south Dallas either.

On other hand, you could work at improving the nation. If you're a crazy person like me, you could join the Free State Project.

NH is a nice place, but I really hate winter.

Guest Unborn Again

One of the weirdest experiences of my life was the time I accompanied a junior high school friend of mine to his boy scout meeting at his LDS church. I'd never been to a mormon church before, and for several weeks thereafter the scout leader called me at home to ask if I'd come to another meeting, attend a Sunday service, attend an easter sunlight service, and so on. Needless to say I kept my friend but told him no more scouts.

Anyway, to answer the main question re the scouts: I think scouting definitely has the potential to be a real positive, but the bsa's insistence on discriminating against atheists and homosexuals is completely out of line, and the scouts should receive no public funding as a result. What I'd like to see is individual troops repudiate the national scouting association's bigoted standards, or for communities to organize new scouting organizations that do not discriminate.

I'd like to leave NZ, see the world and then return to good ol' NZ and improve it.

I was an atheist Boy Scout. I left "Reverent" out of my recitation of the scout oath, as well as "under God" from the pledge and "God and my country" from some other damn thing. Didn't advertise my atheism, didn't deny it. B.S.A. provided me with fun and skills. If one wants to support them given their attitude, one should. I wont, because I'd like to see a secular but similar organization take root and grow. B.S.A. pretty much has a monopoly most places.

Girl scouts may not exclude atheists, but they have some God language going on. I checked into them because my daughter briefly showed an interest. I wouldn't have denied her the option, but I would have chafed at once again having to submit my child to theistic indoctrination.

There are plenty of nice places to live in the world.  For someone disgruntled, Mexico or Central America are not bad.  There are only a few places in Mexico that need to be avoided, but then again, I wouldn't want to venture long into south Dallas either.

I've heard to many first-hand horror stories about Mexico from my mother to move there.

I think that Canadia or Scotland (if they repealed their gun prohibitions) would be the only countries I'd move to.

What are you talking about? I live in "Southern" New Hampshire; it practically tropical all winter long. :lmao: