Goodbye Jesus

Bible Verses

Exodus 21:20-21 (NIV)

"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property."

So, you can beat your slave badly enough that he can't get up for a couple of days and you're not in the wrong.

Here is one of those warm and fuzzy Bible verses about Motherly love:

2 Kings 6:28-29

And the king said to her, "What is the matter with you?" And she answered, "This woman said to me, 'Give your son that we may eat him today, and we will eat my son tomorrow. So we boiled my son and ate him; and I said to her on the next day, 'Give your son, that we may eat him'; but she has hidden her son."

So I know a few people who put some mundane, boring bible verse in the sig line in their emails, and since I am the local vocal atheist, I figured I should have a bible verse in my sig line too!

What do you guys think it should be? I don't have my bible with me now, so I can't grab the exact quotes, but I was thinking things like:

The verse praising the bashing of your enemies babies against rocks.

The commandment that women be silent in church and learn from their husbands in submissiveness

or

The commandment that when you take a city, kill all men, women, and children, but keep the virgin girls for yourself to have as wives.

I'm partial to the last one. Any other suggestions?

Those are all good, but mine would be one that shows atheist sensibilities.

ASV Ecclesiastes 3:19

19. For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; and man hath no preeminence above the beasts: for all is vanity.

Yep, man hath no preeminence above the beasts - we all die, and all else is vanity. That's my kind of Bible.

Along these same lines,

ASV Ecclesiastes 9:4-6

4. For to him that is joined with all the living there is hope; for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

5. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6. As well their love, as their hatred and their envy, is perished long ago; neither have they any more a portion for ever in anything that is done under the sun.

The dead know not anything. This guy was really sharp.