Goodbye Jesus

"under God" In The Pledge Of Allegiance

Vigile

This just highlights one of the top reasons why I will never live in the US again. Unbelievable. Not only do I find it offensive that children are being indoctrinated with patriotism against their will and at ages where they can't yet think for themselves, but when all your neighbors think like this, who needs them as neighbors?

2009-09-01_1015.png

A FB sampling may not be a perfect sampling of the country, but with a sample size this large, it's pretty fair to say that it is representative of most of the country. 11% have their heads on straight. That's just sick.

BTW, I did a Google search for the average American who voted in this poll and this is what popped up on the first post:

2009-09-01_1024.png

I have to say the pledge once or twice a week. I always omit "under god". I'm just waiting til the person beside me asks why I skip it every time.

Honestly I'm of the opinion that we should omit the entire pledge of allegiance. I probably haven't said it once since high school. But even then the words never had any meaning for me. It's like all of those memorized prayers that we said without even thinking about the words.

I don't get why we need the pledge of allegiance either, especially in public schools. It's one thing for like in the Senate or something, but if you're an American citizen, isn't it already a bit obvious you're pledged to America?

Honestly I'm of the opinion that we should omit the entire pledge of allegiance. I probably haven't said it once since high school. But even then the words never had any meaning for me. It's like all of those memorized prayers that we said without even thinking about the words.

You and me both. This is what I referred to as forced patriotic indoctrination. Adding the "under God" is just insult to injury.

but if you're an American citizen, isn't it already a bit obvious you're pledged to America?

I'm a citizen and I am most certainly not pledged to America or any other country. I don't want to do it or anyone else any harm, but I sure as heck am not willing to fight for it either. Especially given how fucked up its foreign policy is.

I totally took that FB quiz and argued for a few days with the idiots on its little forum. No progress or point of course. I was honestly shocked that most people didn't know it was added to the pledge in the 50s. I don't want my daughter to have to say it every day in school because its just creepy. I stopped saying it in High school, but said it every other year. It doesn't mean anything to the little kids that say it, so its not a huge deal but irritating enough for me to care about. My husband is in the military and they don't even say it every day. They just have the music (I really should know what the song is called...) that plays and have to stand at attention for it. I'd rather pledge to the bill of rights or constitution maybe than a flag. At least its not a pledge to the President. Even if I like whoever it is, not going to pledge to a man or an office.

If I had a child, I would teach them the pledge, but without the 'under god' phrase. I would also tell them that they do not have to say it because it is forced patriotism. Why should one be forced to be a patriot when they had no control over what country or family they were born in (provided of course that they were born to their particular family and not adopted).

Why should one be forced to be a patriot when they had no control over what country or family they were born in (provided of course that they were born to their particular family and not adopted).

Not only that, but patriotism ought to be expressed only when someone is genuinely happy about their country. Forcing it defeats the purpose.

I have to say the pledge once or twice a week. I always omit "under god". I'm just waiting til the person beside me asks why I skip it every time.

Why do you have to say it? I think it is against the law to compel that recitation.

Why should one be forced to be a patriot when they had no control over what country or family they were born in (provided of course that they were born to their particular family and not adopted).

Not only that, but patriotism ought to be expressed only when someone is genuinely happy about their country. Forcing it defeats the purpose.

You may be making an incorrect assumption about said purpose.

The "under God" portion was added in the 1950s to distinguish America from the "godless communists," not out of respect for God. It is therefore unchristian and should be promptly removed.

Yeah...I'm never gonna get a christain to fall for that line of thought, will I?

If anyone is bored and looking for some good entertainment, the convo on this poll is pretty funny.

I made a comment about how I thought it interesting that 89% of the voters were in support of keeping God in the pledge. It was pretty innocuous. I received this PM from someone I don't know:

I believe the answer to your question regarding why most of the posters are for removing God from the pledge, yet the overwhelming majority of the voters (89%) prefer to keep God in the pledge is because of the personality traits of the non-believers. They tend to be unhappy, disgruntled and self obsorbed people who think that other people want to hear what they have to say.

The following is not directed at you personally, only those who don't like the way our nation was founded.

If a club was established with certain by-laws, and you don't like them, qiut or don't join the club in the first place.

Our nation was founded on religeous principles. If you don't like them, you have a decision to make. There are other countries around the world that might share your beliefs. You are free to go there.

Here's my response:

Oh wow. I did. I have lived in beautiful St Petersburg Russia for the past 5 years. During this time I have spent a great deal of time in India, Venezuela and W Europe. My greatest joy however has been the copious absence of ignorant blowhards who wouldn't understand their own history if it bit them in the ass. Of course I must be speaking of someone else because you clearly know the history of your own country. You told me so yourself.

I suspect a brilliant response or an aneurysm from the poster. Either one will be entertaining.

Our nation was founded on religeous principles. If you don't like them,you have a decision to make. There are other countries around the worldthat might share your beliefs. You are free to go there.

Wow Viglie, I'll bet you really enjoyed answering that!

Yeah, have to admit I was smiling while typing.

... the personality traits of the non-believers. They tend to be unhappy, disgruntled and self obsorbed people who think that other people want to hear what they have to say.

Oh man, you gotta love this stereotype.

I suspect that most “non-believers” are people who go about their lives in quiet satisfaction.

Well LR, life is sure a lot easier when you don't worry that sky daddy is watching you masturbate. :P

I bet you were really tormented there for a while Vigile. :HaHa:

And you know it...

Stupid Jesus, give me some privacy for a moment will ya? Fricken perv...

Why do you have to say it? I think it is against the law to compel that recitation.

I guess the phrase "have to" is incorrect. I am in several civic groups and government that begin meetings with it. I have no problem with patriotism or allegiance to my country. However, I will omit the "under god" every time. It wasn't in there originally and has no relevence to my patriotism.

What fun would it be if they changed the pledge? Kids everywhere are reciting it faithfully:

I play jelly giants!

tooth a fag

in the untied snakes of Armenia.

And tooth hairy public

for witches' hands

when I shun kindergarten, invisible

with liver tea and just ice for all.

I voted in that poll that "under God" should be removed, and my great-aunt responded by asking what bothered me so much about the phrase "under God" - I responded with the following:

Contrary to popular belief, this nation was not established as a "Christian Nation." Freedom of religion necessarily entails freedom -from- religion as well, plus there is supposed to be separation of Church and State.

A growing number of people do not believe in God at all. It is possible, and should be an option, to pledge allegiance to one's ... Read Morecountry without having to speak to a belief in any God.

Personally, I don't care so much for pledging allegiance to any country regardless, as I am much more concerned about myself as a member of the human race, not a citizen of one country or another...

I need to just quit doing the facebook polls. I get too mad and sound as crazy as they are. I'd love to be able to debate as well as some of you but I just wind up sounding dumb. Yesterday I done a poll about gays in the military and people were saying gays should be executed and calling them fags so I said Jesus was a fag. So I'm not helping the cause much.

I haven't said the pledge since I was in Boy Scouts over 10 years ago...nor have I been asked too.

But I was depressed at the facebook pool, I'm trying to feel good about our future but now and then the youth let me down. I wish the poll had linked to arguments for both sides though. If you actually know your history it's not even close. The only cause they have is the emotional attachment to it.

But maybe 11% is actually a good sign...i dunno.

I was honestly shocked that most people didn't know it was added to the pledge in the 50s.

Sadly to say, until about a year or so ago, I wasn't aware of that either. (If I had heard that previously, I had forgotten.)

Anyway, the Pledge of Allegiance bothered me when I was a Christian because I didn't want to pledge my allegiance to a flag or a country, but to "God." Now that I don't have any allegiance to an imaginary being, it's the "under God" part that bothers me the most. And since it's not part of the original pledge and we are a diverse nation, I am all in favor of removing the phrase.

Incidentally, I just looked on Wikipedia, and it says that the "under God" part isn't the only thing that has changed in the pledge. The original simply went like this:

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."