Goodbye Jesus

Exchanging ideas

kevin

It develops into an *argument* where egos get involved, and the whole purpose of exchanging ideas is lost...<snip>... but I want to wake christians up from their dream.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

If the teacher appears before the student is ready, conflict ensues and time can be lost as the student struggles to defend his current stance. Inevitably there is resistance, confusion, and confrontation with one's own emotional issues.

There are far fewer conflicts encountered when the teacher simply loves people in practical ways. This also helps to open up the lines of communication between master and pupil. :)

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
It's great discussing christianity with believers, but I soon realise that both of us haven't the slightest idea what we are talking about. It develops into an *argument* where egos get involved, and the whole purpose of exchanging ideas is lost. So why do I do it then? Leaving christianity has been like waking up from a dream, and realising it was just a dream. It sounds self righteous, but I want to wake christians up from their dream. The only way I think I can do this is through love. The thing that christians are supposed to give freely to us. Even someone like Goldie, if he calmed down a bit I'm sure would have been interesting to talk to. OK bad example, but do you see what I'm saying? What are your thoughts on this?             

Kevin:

Leaving Christianity for me was not only like waking up from a bad dream it was like getting out of prision! I'd say you're on the right track friend. Leading believers astray isn't a bad road to take. After all, they are going to try to convert you so why not turn the tables on them. Challenge them to prove God exists and don't fall for their typical BS that you need to "prove" god doesn't exist, it's not your burden to prove something that hasn't been proven to exist in the first place. I'm a bit of an un-evangelizer myself. I think it's high time us rational/freethinking atheists start getting people to think more critically and objectively. After all, the preachers and theologians they continue to follow aren't going to encourage them to do that. They want them to remain and waller in their ignorance otherwise they might all be out of a job.

If the teacher appears before the student is ready, conflict ensues and time can be lost as the student struggles to defend his current stance. Inevitably there is resistance, confusion, and confrontation with one's own emotional issues.

There are far fewer conflicts encountered when the teacher simply loves people in practical ways. This also helps to open up the lines of communication between master and pupil.  :)

I agree with this. Offline I really don't mess with fundies unless they seem to be curious.

I deal with nonxians and half assed xians who seem curious. People under 24 are a curious lot from my experiences so far. There are definately exceptions, but adults seem to me, too rigid in thier thinking and are not really curious about things. Not really.

Leaving Christianity for me was not only like waking up from a bad dream it was like getting out of prision!  I'd say you're on the right track friend.

I'd like to echo those statements, Kevin, and being recently released from prison is an exciting event, something to tell the world about. Along with being an anti-evangelist or deconverter, you might also think of yourself as a consumer. You tried a product and you found it to be unsatisfying. You are simply passing along that information to anyone with an eye to see and an ear to hear. What they choose to do with that information is entirely up to them.

I agree with Edward that you seem to be on the right track. I hope things are going well for you. :)