Goodbye Jesus

Why I don't hate Christians

Asimov

Well.... Since my first thread was "Why I hate christians" I think I should say something........

I hated christians for what they have done for me. If it was just my parents then it would have been a different story. BUt there were so many different churches and so many different pastors and so many different christians. BUt they were all the same. OK I admit, a few were different, but not many.

This idea that asking forgiveness is a get out of jail free card, alot feel free to do what ever they want without having to take responsibility for it.

Hate and anger is a normal part of grieving. I know that we should be happy when we decide once and for all to leave christianity, but it is also like losing a part of ourselves that we have held on to for many years. There is a grieving process. Especially when it also includes your entire family. I know that I have shit for family, but they were all I knew for so many years. I have had to come to grips with cutting them out of my life 100% as well. I hated for a while in order to keep it fresh in my mind the reasons I left. Other wise I would do what I had always done in the past. Go back. I know that it wouldn't be logical to go back, but sometime we are not alway logical.

How do I feel today? (for those who care to know)

I no longer hate them. I do not pity them, but I do not hate them. It has been over 4 years now since I lost my son. It is time to move on. I do not want to become that bitter old lady that we all know. I have cocooned myself up in my house not leaving except to go grocery shopping etc.... I even did all my christmas shopping on-line. I have finally come to the conclusion that enough is enough. I find myself becoming a person that I hate. I have wasted 4 years wining about what has happened to me. I hate winers or people who wants everybody to feel sorry for them because they had a rough past. I'd shrug and say"so what, I went through some shit too but you don't see me crying about it" type of cold response.

I just feel like it is time to put it in the past and get over it. Time to look ahead and not back. (ok corny but it's how I feel). I am going back to school in a couple of weeks. It's time to join the living.

Do I still hate christians? No. I do dislike them a great deal, but even that is an improvment.

Sorry about the book. I had to get that off my chest.

Good topic.  I don't hate xtians.  I hate their beliefs definately, but I can separate that.  My family are all xtians and I love them.  I still have lots of xtian friends.  I love them.  It's the belief stupid!

I don't hate most xer's, although I am paranoid of them. I even...at times, have panick attacks in public, because I know that most people are superstitious and I really don't know what to expect of people who believe in a santa claus that is so not into "live and let live" with people who believe differently. The bible teaches folks to have no repsect for other people. Love is important, but so is respect.

Bible god will slay all other gods through conversion and will slay or roast forever ( what ever dogma an xer believes in) , those who do not bow down before the Lard. People who believe in no gods, or different gods are wrong and thier gods are evil. So what does that leave? Either nonbelievers are evil, or they are spreading evil and are misguided. This is not respect. It is disrimination based on irrational beliefs. Discrimination should be based on critical thinking and not anything else. I will say that I am glad that tolerant xers ignore the main intention of the bible. These kinds of xer's, unfortunately, can't do anything to speak out against intolerant xer's cause they don't have scripture to use against them a lot of times.

What's the point...?  :HaHa:

True, it's a waste of energy and time. I personally don't hate Christians, as much as I might disagree with them on philosophical issues. I'd rather spend time supporting my values, such as writing articles for the Fellowship of Reason.

True, it's a waste of energy and time.  I personally don't hate Christians, as much as I might disagree with them on philosophical issues.  I'd rather spend time supporting my values, such as writing articles for the Fellowship of Reason.

It takes all kinds of people to make change happen. If it can be done right, standing up to discrimination is a good thing.

School is comming up, and my using ExC as a forum has been good for me. I really appreciate HanSolo, Vigile del fuoco1, Merlin, and ericf.

I can change too.

It takes all kinds of people to make change happen. If it can be done right, standing up to discrimination is a good thing.

Yes, that's a good point. While I personally have no interest in atheist political activism, I'm happy that some people do have that interest. That doesn't mean they have to "hate" Christians -- they just have to stand up for what is right. :)

Yes, that's a good point.  While I personally have no interest in atheist political activism, I'm happy that some people do have that interest.  That doesn't mean they have to "hate" Christians -- they just have to stand up for what is right. :)

School is comming up, and my using ExC as a forum has been good for me. I really appreciate HanSolo, Vigile del fuoco1, Merlin, and ericf....and not necessarily in that order. ;) I aint tellin.

I welcome other heathen's input, even if I may not agree with everything.

I can change.

atheist political activism

Yikes! atheism is only a lack of belief in gods. Nothing more. Or it shouldn't be anything more IMHO

My atheism is a very small part of me. Read what I got under Any gods. I don't take everything so seriously. hehe.

I think Free Thought is for everyone to try at thier own speed.

What's the point...?  :HaHa:

I don't hate them either. I'm married to one and have some xtain friends. I more or less hate what they believe to be considered the truth. I find it amazing how they just close their minds to rationality and logic when you point out all the craziness/foolishness in the bible to them and it's as if they are blinded by it or just living in denial. Other than that they are basically good people.

I don't hate them either.  I'm married to one and have some xtain friends.  I more or less hate what they believe to be considered the truth.  I find it amazing how they just close their minds to rationality and logic when you point out all the craziness/foolishness in the bible to them and it's as if they are blinded by it or just living in denial.  Other than that they are basically good people.

People are good because of what is inside and I will never give jesus credit for it. Never.

Some xer's are extraordinary people, yet that says nothing of what the bible teaches. Had they been born in India, they still would have been very good people. It's the extremists that ruin things and some times xers have no scripture to use against the intolerant xer's. The whole bible is still supported by the good xer's. This support of the whole bible as "Truth" makes the bible even more credible to all, regardless of who is an extremist or not. It only takes one extremist to permenently ruin the lives of many.

Of coarse, a lota xers may not cause trouble, they certainly are no better or worse than anyone else on average....I know this intellectually, but not emotionaly. Not yet.