Goodbye Jesus

Would you Die for your Disbelief?

Guest aexapo

why is everyone saying no? I mean come on people you would rather pretend to endorse a God? I would rather die. seriously people *shakes head*

So, just because you would prefer to have your throat slit means the rest of us should, too?

I'm sorry. But I value people more than intangible things such as "beliefs". I've already stated that I will die for the former, but never for the latter. What would it accomplish, besides making me very, very dead?

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Exactly. Dying just because some idiot wants me to prove/disprove something would be kinda foolish, wouldn't it?

I mean, who the hell does THAT person think THEY are to tell me that I have to declare anything to begin with?

So yeah, I would STILL lie my pants off!!! Heck yeah!! :grin:

why is everyone saying no? I mean come on people you would rather pretend to endorse a God? I would rather die. seriously people *shakes head*
It's this attitude, however, at varying degrees, that keeps free/rational thought to a minimum as far as society is concerned.

No offense, Jester. That's just the way I see it. :shrug:

In an answer to the question "Would you die for your disbelief?", I would say, that I might die for my disbelief. The only way that would happen though, is if the person who was trying to make me die for my disbelief has a better aim. :scratch:

Since I'm a satirist and a skilled impersonater, I would live. No prob.

I don't know that I could die without there being reasonable odds that it would benefit me in the long run -- I kinda like being alive; but I'd like to hear your viewpoints.

I'm not really an unbeliever (though fundies will of course call me one... :wicked: ), but still...

...in a casual brush with a belligerent fundie, I may well decide that the trouble I'll run into just isn't worth it and say nothing about my unbelief in their faith... though I think I wouldn't lie either.

In a close encounter, or a possibly prolonged one (like, a new colleague joins your team at work, and he happens to be a zealot), I'll stand by my faith. Even if it was just because I'd feel like an honorless wimp if I didn't.

And of course, if you follow the path of a faith that... kind of... promises paradise to those who die in battle... :scratch:

:pureevil:

A contract signed under duress has no legal weight, and a lie told under duress has no moral weight. Did it help the Jews to burn during the Inquisition? No!

I intend no offense to those who sincerely believe they would rather die than lie, but I find that viewpoint incredibly stupid. My family is more important than foolish pride. The martyr mentality isn't just dumb; it's dangerous.

I would have to say no. I am not a fan of fundamental beliefs on either side of the fence. It also would not change things very much. Getting into a position to change things or help those who dont believe would be far more useful. If I get discovered and killed doing it...so be it. It is far better to fight against it or try to change it than blindly accept a set of plans that opress you.

The martyr mentality isn't just dumb; it's dangerous.

Oooooooh boy are you not kidding.

Merlin

Now I'm going to be a mood killer... maybe just a little...

Isn't the total devotion and commitment that religious people put into their faith part of why their ideology can stay so strong and spread so much? We know the truth, but don’t dare facing death to protect it? While they can face death for the lie and delusion they believe. It’s strange. And I’m not pointing finger, since the other four fingers on my hand points back at me. But still, I think this shows a bit how strong belief can be, it can make people sacrifice their lives, and I could too as a Christian. Now on the other hand, I’m more concerned with my family and my life, to save it, since the values I have today are life itself instead of an idea. I’m not living and dying for some fancy notion, but now I’m living to live.

When I was still a Christian, me and some friends where watching this movie about the supposed coming of the anti-christ. In one part, a woman puts on a virtual reality device that makes her choose between accepting the mark or be decapitated. She, of course being Christian, chose death, supposedly out of love for God, but I think more out of fear of going to hell.

Since leaving Christianity, I've come to believe their are two kinds of martres, those who think being killed somehow makes their cause more valid and those who die while actively fighting for their cause, doing things like trying to get laws changed, persuading the populace to follow their cause, fighting in combat and so forth. That would include Martin Luther King, Ghandi, the jews that fought during the uprising and were executed and William Wallace of Scotland.

I wouldn't want to die purely for the sake of my beliefs as my dying would be pointless. But if I die in the midst of changing society, at least I would know in the end, I was killed while contributing to making humanity better.