Goodbye Jesus

Mindfulness As A Useful Tool For People Of Any Persuation.

Major Tom

They can't all be right...

ekayana ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NotBlinded

• Rev R

• Deva

• Major Tom

ekayana wink.gif

Thank you Rev R.

I googled "buddhism audio ekayana" and now I've got

the Lotus Sutra on tape. How cool is that!

What is the Lotus Sutra?The Sutra of the Lotus Flower of the Wonderful Dharma, popularly known as the Lotus Sutra, is revered by millions of Buddhists as containing the core and culmination of the Buddha’s teaching.

http://www.buddhistcenter-rkina.org/ekayanabuddhism.html

Deva! I wanna hear those tapes...can I get them somewhere?

I got mine a few years ago, some on tape and some on DVD. I think I got some of them from England and others from Hawaii. The DVDs are still available but they don't seem to be on Amazon and there is something presently wrong with the American Krishnamurti Foundation bookstore website http://bookstore.kfa.org/cat/catalog/

The website where they ship from Hawaii is also down right now. http://www.pathless.com/

You can buy them from England here: http://www.kfoundati...ty_Change_.html

First six videos on the page. Very expensive, sorry to say. Some of them may be on YouTube but probably very chopped up.

Wow, I'm glad I got them when I did.

ekayana ;)

That's what I've been trying to say with the words eccentric and concentric...I think.

Now I have to go learn a whole new language... :P

:HaHa:

Why? You have friends who know the word.

:scratch: Yeah, I do! Awesome.

:scratch: Yeah, I do! Awesome.

and that is the jewel of sangha. people supporting each other in their efforts to realize truth

and that is the jewel of sangha. people supporting each other in their efforts to realize truth

It is really awesome, but you know it really would be wonderful if my friends would tell me what the word means when they use it. (I'm off to google sangha) :HaHa:

:wub:

It is really awesome, but you know it really would be wonderful if my friends would tell me what the word means when they use it. (I'm off to google sangha) :HaHa:

but i did tell you

but i did tell you

OMG!

:blush:

:Doh:

Well, they don't call me dense for nothing!

OMG!

it's just like that

Buddhism absoluty is a religion. They have statues, pray to all these little minor godlings and all sorts of ritual superstition, prayer beads, and chants just like any other bullshit religion. They have sectarian wars, corruption, and demands of money from the faithful just like any other religion. I gave it a try after dumping Christianity but it was just as stupid if not quite as barbaric.

Buddhism absoluty is a religion. They have statues, pray to all these little minor godlings and all sorts of ritual superstition, prayer beads, and chants just like any other bullshit religion. They have sectarian wars, corruption, and demands of money from the faithful just like any other religion. I gave it a try after dumping Christianity but it was just as stupid if not quite as barbaric.

In your experience it is a religion. Glad you moved on to something better.

OMG!

it's just like that

Cool...we made an example without me even knowing it. :)

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. It seems a bit like "The Fundamentals" of Buddhism to me.

As a little bit of lagniappe, in 1966 a council convened in Sri Lanka to discuss the points that unified all the various flavours called "Buddhism". Ven. Walpola Rahula came up with 9 points that were unanimously approved by the representatives, in 1981 he expanded on those 9 points:

* Whatever our sects, denominations or systems, as Buddhists we all accept the Buddha as our Master who gave us the Teaching.

* We all take refuge in the Triple Jewel: the Buddha, our Teacher; the Dhamma, his teaching; and the Sangha, the Community of holy ones. In other words, we take refuge in the Teacher, the Teaching and the Taught.

* Whether Theravāda or Mahāyāna, we do not believe that this world is created and ruled by a god at his will.

* Following the example of the Buddha, our Teacher, who is embodiment of Great Compassion (mahākaruṇa) and Great Wisdom (mahāprajñā), we consider that the purpose of life is to develop compassion for all living beings without discrimination and to work for their good, happiness and peace; and to develop wisdom leading to the realization of Ultimate Truth.

* We accept the Four Noble Truths taught by the Buddha, namely, Dukkha, the fact that our existence in this world is in predicament, is impermanent, imperfect, unsatisfactory, full of conflict; Samudaya, the fact that this state of affairs is due to our egoistic selfishness based on the false idea of self; Nirodha, the fact that there is definitely the possibility of deliverance, liberation, freedom from this predicament by the total eradication of the egoistic selfishness; and Magga, the fact that this liberation can be achieved through the Middle Path which is eight-fold, leading to the perfection of ethical conduct (sila), mental discipline (samadhi) and wisdom (panna).

* We accept the universal law of cause and effect taught in the Paṭiccasamuppada (Skt. pratītyasamutpada; Conditioned Genesis or Dependent Origination), and accordingly we accept that everything is relative, interdependent and interrelated and nothing is absolute, permanent and everlasting in this universe.

* We understand, according to the teaching of the Buddha, that all conditioned things (samkhara) are impermanent (anicca) and imperfect and unsatisfactory (dukkha), and all conditioned and unconditioned things (dhamma) are without self (anatta).

* We accept the Thirty-seven Qualities conducive to Enlightenment (bodhipakkhiyadhamma) as different aspects of the Path taught by the Buddha leading to Enlightenment, namely:

o Four Forms of Presence of Mindfulness (Pali: satipatthana; Skt. smrtyupasthana);

o Four Right Efforts (Pali. sammappadhana; Skt. samyakpradhana);

o Four Bases of Supernatural Powers (Pali. iddhipada; Skt. rddhipada);

o Five Faculties (indriya: Pali. saddha, viriya, sati, samadhi, panna; Skt. sraddha, virya, smrti, samadhi, prajna);

o Five Powers (bala, same five qualities as above);

o Seven Factors of Enlightenment (Pali. bojjhanga; Skt. bobhyanga);

o Eight-fold Noble Path (Pali. ariyamagga; Skt. aryamarga).

* There are three ways of attaining Bodhi or Enlightenment according to the ability and capacity of each individual: namely, as a Sravaka (disciple), as a Pratyekabuddha (Individual Buddha) and as a Samyaksambuddha (Perfectly and Fully Enlightened Buddha). We accept it as the highest, noblest and most heroic to follow the career of a Boddhisattva and to become a Samyksambuddha in order to save others. But these three states are on the same Path, not on different paths. In fact, the Sandhinirmocana-sutra, a well-known important Mahayana sutra, clearly and emphatically says that those who follow the line of Śrāvakayāna (Vehicle of Disciples) or the line of Pratyekabuddha-yana (Vehicle of Individual Buddhas) or the line of Tathagatas (Mahayana) attain the supreme Nirvana by the same Path, and that for all of them there is only one Path of Purification (visuddhi-marga) and only one Purification (visuddhi) and no second one, and that they are not different paths and different purifications, and that Sravakayana and Mahayana constitute One Vehicle One Yana (ekayana) and not distinct and different vehicles or yanas.

* We admit that in different countries there are differences with regard to the ways of life of Buddhist monks, popular Buddhist beliefs and practices, rites and rituals, ceremonies, customs and habits. These external forms and expressions should not be confused with the essential teachings of the Buddha.

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting it. It seems a bit like "The Fundamentals" of Buddhism to me.

I think that was pretty much the idea, reestablish the core principles of the Buddha-Dharma. In my own practice I find it useful to go back to the root and "unlearn" every so often.

Another reason I found it interesting is that much of the stuff that gets labeled as central Buddhist belief is conspicuously missing from this list.

snapback.pngRev R, on 13 January 2010 - 12:39 PM, said:

As a little bit of lagniappe, in 1966 a council convened in Sri Lanka to discuss the points that unified all the various flavours called "Buddhism". Ven. Walpola Rahula came up with 9 points that were unanimously approved by the representatives, in 1981 he expanded on those 9 points:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snapback.pngRev R,

I wonder if you would be kind enough to direct me to the thread and the post number for

those ipoints being discussed. Thank you. -Tom

Another reason I found it interesting is that much of the stuff that gets labeled as central Buddhist belief is conspicuously missing from this list.

Like what? I'm not sure what you're referring to.

reincarnation

cosmic karma brownie points

all Buddhists are vegans/ vegetarians

off the top of my head...none of which made it to the list

it's a good thing :)

Tom,

I'm not sure what you mean. Rahula's 9 points were originally suggested in 1966 in Sri Lanka. He expanded them in 1981 as the originals were only one liners. These points haven't been discussed here to my knowledge. The full list is the 5th post above this one.

reincarnation

off the top of my head...none of which made it to the list

it's a good thing :)

Yes, it isn't there, and I was surprised by the omission of reincarnation since in his book "What the Buddha Taught" Rahula says it was taught by the Buddha.

I wonder how Buddhism will adapt itself to the west in the future.

reincarnation

OK, thank you. :)

*nod* I do know of monks for whom this isn't true. :)

Tom,

I'm not sure what you mean. Rahula's 9 points were originally suggested in 1966 in Sri Lanka. He expanded them in 1981 as the originals were only one liners. These points haven't been discussed here to my knowledge. The full list is the 5th post above this one.

Yes I see that. Thank you Rev R. FrogsToadBigGrin.gif

I've always enjoyed various Buddhist teachings - especially when explained by Thich Nhat Hanh (who I believe to be one of the greatest teachers to walk the earth), but like most all other belief systems it has a background of male hierarchy and chauvinism, which puts me off. Nothing "enlightened" about sexism.

Yes, it isn't there, and I was surprised by the omission of reincarnation since in his book "What the Buddha Taught" Rahula says it was taught by the Buddha.

That would be against the intent of the statement. Venerable Rahula was asked to present what unified all schools, and as such reincarnation would not be one of those points simply because not all schools teach it. I think it's only the Tibetans who teach reincarnation as such, with other Mahayana schools teaching rebirth on the wheel of Samsara (in accord with cultural afterlife beliefs), Theraveda teaching what amounts to karmic transfer and Zen not really teaching much of anything in regards to an afterlife.

Whether or not reincarnation is true really isn't the point. Certainly, Ven. Rahula or any other well studied supporter of the theory can cite sutras supporting the belief; but folks who don't support reincarnation as something Buddha actually taught can do the same. Of course we can't reasonably consider any sutra (especially Mahayana) as anything Gautama actually taught. Best to stick to that which can be tested through Reason, Insight, and direct experience as the core. :)

I wonder how Buddhism will adapt itself to the west in the future.

It'll probably continue pretty much along the same lines with progressives clashing occasionally with traditionalists. What I do predict is that we'll see less emphasis on the clergy/ layman separation. Probably more peer-led and virtual based communities with folks practicing on their own rather than in ritual settings.

With the exception of ritual and ceremony, "laypeople" have the access to the same level of study as a monk or priest- it is just a matter of having the time to do so.

*nod* I do know of monks for whom this isn't true. :)

indeed. I'm not really sure when the idea surfaced. Historically monks went on alms rounds for food and had to eat whatever they were given by the people, naturally this would include meat. Monks were forbidden from slaughtering meat animals for their own consumption and eating meat that was slaughtered specifically for them.

Yes I see that. Thank you Rev R.

Rodney is fine Tom. :)

but like most all other belief systems it has a background of male hierarchy and chauvinism, which puts me off. Nothing "enlightened" about sexism.

that's changing slowly but surely

Whether or not reincarnation is true really isn't the point.

I am not pushing it, just making an observation having read something else the man wrote.