Goodbye Jesus

Here We Go With The Music Again

Mudflappus

I think the problem with most christian music, is that instead of just doing their thing, they are trying very hard to fit in.

Kind of like when you can tell the awkward kid in school that is trying real hard, but just doesn't get it. That is christian music.

This is my impression. It's insincere. Almost like trying to find a popular vehicle to tie their special little marketing message into. It's gross.

That said, that's my impression. The music I found inspiring was not the rock stuff, but music like John Michael Talbot with Troubadour of the Great King. Much more classically oriented. Though he himself was a former rocker turned Franciscan Monk. I always found the rock stuff in Christianity a cheap rip off, and utterly out of context. But then again... I'm just getting old, I guess... :) I find most any pop music, just crap, with rare exceptions.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Generally I agree. However I would just like to say that I have seen tons of bands in my day, both "secular," and "Christian," and I have yet to see any band with guitarists that can match the skill of Michael Sweet, and Oz Fox of Stryper, both in performance, and musicianship. They are a wonder to behold live, and I still enjoy them, even as an agnostic. I would also like to add that Glen Kaiser of the Resurrection band is also an incredible musician, and a hell of a nice guy. Don't let your anger at religion, and Christianity blind you.

A good point. I think we have to separate the musicianship and the music at some point from the "message". Some of the more talented rock musicians mentioned here are likely more into music than even their own "faith" so to speak. I know some somewhat talented Christian rock musicians (a social necessity for me) and most of them are pretty well into the soft-core fluffy peace and love message; at least, ironically, the "metal" ones, or the hard rockers.

Rock music has become so banalized these days that pretty well everyone's using it, so "so what". Most of the more talented Christian rock artists have been influenced or spend a lot of their time listening to genre and sub-genre metal/rock from the mainstream anyhow; I kind of find that amusing. "It may be Satanic goth metal, but that guy's got some neat riffs". It's ironic that you can trace all this shit back to Jimi Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Rush, Metallica "et al" whom we don't really think of as "Christian inspired". It's kind of a chuckle when you think about it.

I have yet to see any band with guitarists that can match the skill of Michael Sweet, and Oz Fox of Stryper, both in performance, and musicianship.

I admit that they're top shelf players, but I can list forty more. But then again, you must be a pretty good player yourself to be able to make that bold a diagnosis. Oh, those are more than just fancy triplets, aren't they ? LOL

And why does it seem like pretty much all Christian rock is sung by conservative Christians? You never hear any liberal Christian rock bands.

jesus.jpg

Christ Rocks!

I have heard Christian Metal, and Gangsta Christian Rap.

I seriously must be the lamest christian around, because I have never heard of any of the groups you are talking about. Not one. I have heard their names been mentioned, but never really heard their music. I am a very boring music listener,(just ask Legion,lol :HaHa: )

Ok..heres the shameful goss on me. The only christian music I listen to is Hillsongs, Chris Tomlin and some Michael.W.Smith. He doesnt have a great voice, I just like the songs. I should probably expand my listening ears more, but I cant be bothered. I live in my own little closed off shell when it comes to music. Im just plain weird. :shrug:

Guest Valkyrie0010

I have seen good christian artists, and bad, ones.

Most of them are cheesy, very fucking cheesy.

But, I wish that some would sing, some secular music.

Rebecca St James if I remeber correctly was one.

There is also christian bands I still like, though there are like flyleaf and switchfoot and hide there christian concepts into secular kinds of songs.

Think Flyleaf All Around me is a example is needed

I had some but I never really liked it. It was pretty much all rubbish. I listened to it because i felt compelled to since most other music was sinful and it's the only type of tapes my parents allowed me to have other than classical. After I left home I stopped listening to it for the most part but also felt guilty when listening to secular music which I enjoyed far more.

I can't decide which is the worse Christian rap song. Jesus Freaks

or the Christian side-hug song:

I can't decide which is the worse Christian rap song. Jesus Freaks

The first one was OK, the second one sucked. But then I'm not 16. Maybe it's considered good to those with limited exposure.

So anyway, contrast that second one with the guy I mentioned earlier that I liked (still do).

Now that's a musician, and his music is not some presumptuous crap, but his personal devotion to his faith. I can't slight him that.

I own only one Christian rock group CD - I bought it for this song and having not listened to it for a long time,I still think its a good song. There is a kind of majesty to it.

You never hear any liberal Christian rock bands.

1. They're not big on propaganda. Which is one reason why their congregations have been dwindling into nothingness since the 60s.

2. They also weren't paranoid about Satan crawling up their kids' asses because of Led Zepplin.

The first one was OK, the second one sucked. But then I'm not 16. Maybe it's considered good to those with limited exposure.

I couldn't stand the Jesus Freaks song because it's more Christian persecution complex whining and I can't stand people with persecution complexes when they're not being persecuted. It frankly makes it sound like they're being ungrateful to God for all their blessings and I find it hard to believe somebody would persecute them for being a "Jesus Freak" in America and it's more likely it'll be the other way around, not to mention it sounds unconvincing from a popular Christian group. I love Criss' rant about why the Christian side hug song sucks and frankly dangerous:

<snip>

...I love Criss' rant about why the Christian side hug song sucks and frankly dangerous...

There is nothing sexier than a strong intelligent woman with a rational opinion... and with a bod that could break bricks.

I'd front hug that.

If we're still on the subject of good guitarists- I ADORE Kaki King. I want to marry her. Course, it would have to be a gay marriage and we'd have to go to Canada for the ceremony, but still... she is amazing. I think she's one of Rolling Stone's Top 10 Guitarists of the decade or something.

Back when I was an Xtian teen, I listened to:

Demon Hunter (bad metal rip off of Slipknot or Mushroomhead)

Chris Tomlin & Fernando Ortega (acoustic worship type stuff)

Mae (this band is actually quite tolerable and would probably pass on alt-rock radio)

Anberlin (ditto the comments about Mae, they just did a cover of the song True Faith which is pretty damn good)

Flyleaf, DC Talk, Nicole Nordeman, Third Day, Day of Fire (haha, I get the hell reference NOW), Joy Willams, Sanctus Real (they're actually from Toledo, which is quite close to me), Thousand Foot Krutch, Sixpence None The Richer, This Beautiful Republic, P.O.D....

I just realized I've removed almost all of these old tracks from my iTunes... probably because they kept showing up in my Genius mixes.

I was allowed to listen to secular music according to my parents, but my youth pastor tended to pry into what I was doing so I usually hid my secular CDs in a dresser drawer under my Xtian ones. (My youth pastor was over at my house a lot, but we won't go into that here)

Now I listen to everything from symphony orchestras to Marilyn Manson.

And why does it seem like pretty much all Christian rock is sung by conservative Christians? You never hear any liberal Christian rock bands.

That's because a liberal christian rocker would form a secular band and the religious themes in the lyrics would be kind of subtle. The result would be a band like Iron Maiden or U2, both of whom are 'secular' bands but definitely with some religious influence.

The irony is that some of these 'secret' christians in secular bands (particularly metal bands) might end up being branded as satanists for those occasions when they mention the devil in their lyrics.

well i guess i'll be the one to shame myself most of all....

I enjoyed Petra....

esp their more "jewish-ish" sounding stuff.

(i was a fundy teenager in a home of band rodies atheists)

Never got onto anyone else, i thought it all rather sucked, but then i did not devolp an ear for ye olde rock n roll till i became a rebellious late teen, then it was straight to Queensryche, Alice Cooper etc.

but if i ever needed that "i am a true chrisian" feeling Petra gave me the warm fuzzys everytime, and i could dance to it.

Petra were kind of good, it's true.

The rest of Christian rock sucked big time though

Evolution raised an interesting point. What about the obviously secular bands who dip into the religious pool, like "Let It Be," Jesus is Just Alright," "Warn the Nation," "One Love," etc.? I think you can make good music no matter what the subject. It's just that the Xtian rock bands try to be so sincere about the subject that they lose track of making good music. (I also have been a fan of Petra.)

Generally I agree. However I would just like to say that I have seen tons of bands in my day, both "secular," and "Christian," and I have yet to see any band with guitarists that can match the skill of Michael Sweet, and Oz Fox of Stryper, both in performance, and musicianship. They are a wonder to behold live, and I still enjoy them, even as an agnostic. I would also like to add that Glen Kaiser of the Resurrection band is also an incredible musician, and a hell of a nice guy. Don't let your anger at religion, and Christianity blind you.

I am a frequent listener of Steve Morse, Alan Holdsworth, Al DiMeola, Paco De Lucia, Albert Lee, Steve Luthaker and dozens of other top rated guitarists and musicians who worked and or work in the Jazz Fusion scene. I do not know how any of these artists feel about religion, worship or anything regarding faith because they don't wear it on their sleeves and are loathe to trot it out when asked about it. That's the difference. If you are divinely inspired to create something truly uplifting that's super. If you feel you have to slap a Christian label on it in order to exploit a select group of people who lack the ability to define their own opinion about what (or what not) to listen to then I say you are peddling crap with the sole purpose of being exploitative. I don't want to hear about someone's personal spiritual journey over cookie cutter music. Each of us has our own path to follow and I don't find anything uplifting about the subject matter they cover ad nauseum.

I have no problem at all with the good old fashioned Gospel music you can hear in any church in the deep South. It is it's own art form and is not trying to be anything it's not. The contemporary Christian Rock movement in it's attempt to be "Hip" and "Cool" with the young people is simply preaching to the choir because I don't know anyone who has ever walked away from a praise tune with anything but a look of utter contempt on their face. I am not angry with religion or Christianity. In my mind, people are welcome to believe anything they want. My anger stems from these same people telling me that what I put my heart into as often as I can is a waste of time because I am not adding to God's glory with it. Then they label my music as "Secular" so they have a convenient pigeon hole to cram it into and start throwing all of the names of their Praise Band Du Jour in my face. Yes I get it. It's called exploitation. No I do not want any part of it because I may not be the most spiritual dude around, but at least I have my own code of conduct which prohibits me from taking advantage of the least of us.