Goodbye Jesus

I feel like such a coward..

necrosmith

The thing is, there are some serious consequences we all risk when coming out (loss of work, family, friends).

I have to say at this point I guess I'm not prepared to face those consequences.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
A little bit more straight-in-your-face would help the world further I think.

You mean like George W Bush?

:HaHa:

You mean like George W Bush?

:HaHa:

:HaHa: Being rude and seemingly ignorant doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't have a hidden agenda. I certainly don't know how it feels to be a thought in his brain. :wicked: I don't understand Bush, but if he is just as he is, I would appreciate that. And he can be "straight in your face & wrong" of course.

The thing is, there are some serious consequences we all risk when coming out (loss of work, family, friends).

I have to say at this point I guess I'm not prepared to face those consequences.

I certainly wouldn't do anything to lose my ability to make a living -- heck, I didn't come out to my family (about being gay) until I didn't need them to pay my bills anymore. When I could be independent financially, though, I felt I had no choice but to be honest about who I was, and let the chips fall where they may. My partner and I had already moved in together, and were making a life -- lying was just too hard. I told my family, "this is who I am, take it or leave it. Don't try to change me, and don't try to make me 'choose' (between him or them), 'cause if you do, let me explain what my choice will be . . ."

I lost ALL of my church friends, and close to half of my extended family. My parents stuck with me, my brother, a few other relatives (the ones that really mattered) . . . the rest weren't worth keeping anyway. Nearly 15 years later, I can't imagine trying to lie to any of these people about my beliefs or my life. Incomprehensible!

Do what you have to do, but keep your eyes open and try to untangle yourself from the social dependency you have on these people. Eventually, one of them will find out -- and you'll be in the same trouble you fear now.

Someone posted something a few days ago about a female student of theirs who (I believe) was a more liberal minded Christian (if not at least an agnostic -- don't remember), whose father and fiance went ballistic when she said she didn't want to get married right then, and wanted to pursue graduate studies in some sort of science . . . or something like that. Daddy said he would cut her off if she didn't quit school and marry the fucker. . . she was feeling hopeless.

Don't let it happen to you -- they WILL find out, eventually.

My general response is also "I don't have one at the moment."

Many take that to mean I'm looking..but, since I've never been a real big "attender" anyway, it doesn't come up much with close friends and family.

If a stranger asks..I'll tell them the truth, the whole truth..and nothing but.. :grin:

Some of my friends know..family..it just hardly comes up since I don't have alot of family..

You got that right.

At this same funeral, the pastor of my grandmother's church who was giving the service at a funeral home preached a full sermon and asked for people to accept jesus as their savior AT THE FUNERAL.  I couldn't believe it.

The exact same thing happened at a friend's funeral. I was a bit at a loss but not surprised, she was a great woman, a great example and christianity has a history of turning tragedy to their own benefit.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed ltrain. I really don't understand why people have any issue with lying about this topic. I mean come on! Anyone who claims to believe is a liar anyway, so why not lie right back at them.

If you're a highly feverent sports fan in a area known for sports fanaticism, you can always say the stadium is your church.

Works really well in NE with Fenway.

The need for "confession" runs deep......

Necrosmith. I think you did fine. You were very suddenly confronted in a "hot" room by an intrusive close-minded twit. We've all been there, and we've all felt the deep frustration of having "lied" or "waffled" about where we stood.

It's a holdover from your old faith.

God, yes. I too have been in situations, albeit unrelated to religion, where I had to fudge. *sigh* :ugh::vent: I've kind of had to learn how much to say to whom. arggh

You were caught between a rock and a hard place, but I think you did well. Don't berate yourself ! :goodjob: