Goodbye Jesus

Toddler Preacher

Moxie

I've been collecting things like this that come up in conversations. As an author I'm often invited to debate both theists and atheists alike, and often get some really cool punchy lines coming up. After I get home I type them up for future reference.

Cool. Perhaps you could start a thread and post a bunch of those quotes, and then others can post whatever other quotes seem befitting.

You may like these:

Calling atheism a kind of religion is like calling not-stamp collecting a kind of hobby. (Got this one from another forum)

I have heard a similar quote that compared it to calling not playing baseball a sport. Speaking on not collecting stamps, one of my favorite YouTube videos is by user NonStampCollector (the video is called "What would Jesus NOT do?").

Science seeks to draw a conclusion from the evidence at hand, while religion seeks to find evidence for a conclusion at hand.

That sums up apologetics pretty well, though they sometimes invent "evidence."

Goodbye Jesus
That is a Jesuit saying, from Francis Xavier, founder of the order.

Yes, that's him, thanks. Googled the name and came up with this:

"Give me the children until they are seven and anyone may have them afterwards". St. Francis Xavier Spanish Basque religious leader, saint, & apostle to India (1506 - 1552)

Amazing how "quoted" words get paraphrased over time and change to suit the needs of the quoter. Sounds like some Book we all know so well hehe :ouch:

Science seeks to draw a conclusion from the evidence at hand, while religion seeks to find evidence for a conclusion at hand.

That sums up apologetics pretty well, though they sometimes invent "evidence."

Ooooh. Apologetics! Now there's a subject I spent many years studying when I was doing missionary work (yup, did my bit, got the T-shirt) in Lebowa (South Africa) back in the 1980s. And look how much trouble that got me into - their "proofs" and "rational defense of the faith" and pseudo-evidence got me to ask too many honest questions. As a result I am now a reprobate atheist.

But hey - good idea - should I start a new thread? Let's call it "Quote collectors unite", naaa, too boring. How's about "What would non-quote collectors do?" Too ambiguous? Let's see.

I thought it was cute for about 10 seconds because my own son is the same age but it got old fast. As others have said, the kid is just aping the preacher, he's shaking his fist and saying "A SAAAAA A SAAAAAA" over and over again because the crowd keeps clapping and cheering him on.

Kids will do anything for an audience.

Ooooh. Apologetics! Now there's a subject I spent many years studying when I was doing missionary work (yup, did my bit, got the T-shirt) in Lebowa (South Africa) back in the 1980s. And look how much trouble that got me into - their "proofs" and "rational defense of the faith" and pseudo-evidence got me to ask too many honest questions. As a result I am now a reprobate atheist.

Similar story here. I started getting into apologetics as a teenager and followed that line of reasoning through the rest of my christian walk (until my faith started to crumble at age 29). I read some stuff from different apologists (and creationists), and even listened to "The Bible Answer Man" on the radio for a couple years. I didn't always agree with everything every apologist said, but in general I thought that they were knowledgeable christians who had answers to "so-called problems" in the bible.

Of course, once I started seeing gaping holes in some of their standard arguments as my faith was crumbling, I came to see the apologetics field in a completely different light. Their arguments are no longer convincing once one sees through the bs.

So sad! This little guy should be playing outside with his friends and enjoying his life. :( I think this is abusive and find it extremely distubring that the audience is clapping and cheering. One reason I quit going to church (from a long list of reasons) is because I got so tired of the preacher yelling like that. Damn! It hurt my ears and was so annoying to hear a voice screaming from the pulpit about how I was going to hell.

Just a thought for this poor kid: maybe it's better for him to have done that little "Ah-Saaaah" act in that particular congregation where they think it is some kind of miraculous intervention. Because if he had done that "shouty-dancy" act in some other fundamental churches, they would have drawn the opposite conclusion and tried to cast a 'demon' out of the little tyke. Just think of the life-long trauma that would induce.