Goodbye Jesus

Is The Bible By Nature, Depressing ?

Franko47

This is a bit off the wall, but over the weekend I had a pretty good time with family and friends and so on, like that real good time that leaves you drained by Sunday evening, but fulfilled. All of this mainly good clean fun, I didn't get drunk or engage in wanton sex or anything, it was more about a lot of laughs, a few compliments, and a lot of warm feelings with family members and friends. You know, the kind of stuff that really makes life worth living, the kind of stuff that really fills that inner void with some warm sunshine and stuff.

So I found it interesting that when I got home I was flipping through some radio channels and got locked for a bit on this regional Christian radio show where the pastor was going on and on about Old Testament stuff and making a lot of references to especially the writings of Paul in the NT, who in my opinion is the ultimate manic-depressive.

What struck me about all these Bible quotes and commentary as I let it drone on for about half an hour as I was performing a redundant repair task, was how all of it seemed to run so contrary to the kind of things that make me happy, and that includes the wholesome things. It sort of hit home to me in a way that for some reason, the Bible writers and Paul just don't really want you to enjoy your life, no matter how honest your work and pleasures are. There's always this edge of condemnation to everything; there is always this emphasis away from your own personal satisfaction and enjoyment to be sacrificed in favour of worshiping and pleasing "God". After a while, you really start to realize how depressing this all is, and that I realize now that it would be virtually impossible for me to ever try and adapt my life to this Paulinist sense of manic-depressive piousness, this bowed head, being serious about everything all the time, constantly checking your behavior and inner fantasies to make sure you're not having some fun or *enjoying erotic thought* (gasp)....that in the end, trying to adapt to this whole depressing, gloomy you-have-to-be-self-deprecating at all times is just so wonderfully RETARDED.

Anyway, I've always kind of sensed this sort of thing, but for some reason it really hit home tonight listening to what was merely standard mainstream Bible commentary by another dork who just doesn't want me to be happy unless it's totally on his terms.

Feel free to comment on any of these impressions; it may have even contributed to some here who have de-converted.

To me, the whole Christian religion is just downright depressing.

Personally I think it's a symptom of trying to draw validation and acceptance from something that isn't there. You can't do anything to make nothing happy with you, it doesn't matter what you do, nothing doesn't care. If you can't be happy and fulfilled with the things of this life, it is foolishness to think that you will ever be capable of being happy with some mythical next life.

There is a contingent in xtianity that teaches anything you enjoy doing or that makes you feel good must be a sin, else you would not enjoy it. I am serious.

At one time, it was actually forbidden for a married man and woman to have sex for any purpose other than to have children. Viewing the others nakedness was also prohibited, so mens nightshirts had a strategically located slit in the front to accommodate the requisite procreation equipment.

I've always suspected this was about control. All cults do it. In order to keep their members needy and separate from the rest of society they have to keep them working on false dichotomies.

This is why I felt so truly free when it finally dawned on me I'd been conned. The biggest lie in xianity is that Jesus gives you freedom.

I honestly sometimes think the Bible is Satanic.

I think there was an historical Jesus. But the Bible stole him. Just like they stole Easter and Christmas.

It sort of hit home to me in a way that for some reason, the Bible writers and Paul just don't really want you to enjoy your life, no matter how honest your work and pleasures are. There's always this edge of condemnation to everything; there is always this emphasis away from your own personal satisfaction and enjoyment to be sacrificed in favour of worshiping and pleasing "God". After a while, you really start to realize how depressing this all is,...

When I was a teen I was depressed, and that made me vulnerable to the ministers that persuaded me to be "born again". All that Bible study brought me under Paul's sick and twisted spell which you nailed to a "t". His perverted way of viewing human nature played into my depression, making my thoughts more torturous than they already were. The funny thing is, I didn't realize I was depressed until I began to deconvert!

There were times when I overwhelmed the Pauline shit with Jesus' love and forgiveness, but Paul would come back and bite me on the ass. He especially took the fun out of my natural thoughts and feelings of uncontrollable lust. All those fresh, ripe young women weren't supposed to be gazed upon or touched. Arghhhhh!!!! Then again, Jesus remained "pure", so he wasn't a good example for a sexually mature and lustful young adult either!

Any way you look at it, Paul and Jesus needed therapy. :HaHa:

Then again, Jesus remained "pure", so he wasn't a good example for a sexually mature and lustful young adult either!

Jesus didn't remain pure. The time he went to the mountain away from his disciples? He was in a brothel.

They still remember him to this day!

There were times when I overwhelmed the Pauline shit with Jesus' love and forgiveness, but Paul would come back and bite me on the ass. He especially took the fun out of my natural thoughts and feelings of uncontrollable lust. All those fresh, ripe young women weren't supposed to be gazed upon or touched. Arghhhhh!!!! Then again, Jesus remained "pure", so he wasn't a good example for a sexually mature and lustful young adult either!

Jesus didn't just remain pure, he said to pluck your eye out. Sorry, I just wonder why it's always Paul's fault. The Jesus of the gospels gives plenty to make a nightmarish religion out of.

It sort of hit home to me in a way that for some reason, the Bible writers and Paul just don't really want you to enjoy your life, no matter how honest your work and pleasures are. There's always this edge of condemnation to everything; there is always this emphasis away from your own personal satisfaction and enjoyment to be sacrificed in favour of worshiping and pleasing "God". After a while, you really start to realize how depressing this all is,...

When I was a teen I was depressed, and that made me vulnerable to the ministers that persuaded me to be "born again". All that Bible study brought me under Paul's sick and twisted spell which you nailed to a "t". His perverted way of viewing human nature played into my depression, making my thoughts more torturous than they already were. The funny thing is, I didn't realize I was depressed until I began to deconvert!

I've always been attracted to older women. I used to stand in church as a teen and lust after the women--most twice or more my age--and then go home feeling lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut for committing such a heinous "sin," and in church, no less!

Had I known then what I know now, I bet I could have bagged me a cougar or three. :wicked:

Had I known then what I know now, I bet I could have bagged me a cougar or three. :wicked:

Ain't that the problem, eh, Snake ? I was such a naive dork when I was in my 20's and even 30's. Now I could raid the "henhouse" without any effort, except it's too late and I'm a "gentleman" now, anyway.

Ah, virtue. It has it's rewards, but often my caged viper begs to differ.

Ain't that the problem, eh, Snake ? I was such a naive dork when I was in my 20's and even 30's. Now I could raid the "henhouse" without any effort, except it's too late and I'm a "gentleman" now, anyway.

Ah, virtue. It has it's rewards, but often my caged viper begs to differ.

I'm too old to chase skirts and too worn out to do anything with one if I caught it. Of course, as the saying goes, "Just because you're too old to cut the mustard doesn't mean you can't lick the jar."

I dont find the depressing at all. To me, it is filled with truth and life. I find wisdom in it, love and a way to live. :grin:

I see it as book of malignant evil with few redeeming qualities. Accounts of death camp survivors are more cheery and wholesome than the disgusting evil of bible-god.

I dont find the depressing at all. To me, it is filled with truth and life. I find wisdom in it, love and a way to live. :grin:

That would depend on what you read. It's a very big book, you know. Reading "devotionals" will keep you protected from the "bad parts" and having someone interpret if for you (or using a filter that says, "This is all good even if it's bad') will protect you from thinking.

The entire basis of the bible is that human beings – by default – are evil, broken creatures which deserve to be wiped from the face of the earth.

How is that not depressing?

Jesus didn't just remain pure, he said to pluck your eye out. Sorry, I just wonder why it's always Paul's fault. The Jesus of the gospels gives plenty to make a nightmarish religion out of.

You're right. Back then, I thought more about the loving Jesus and ignored the sexaphobic Jesus. I didn't like Paul and his e"piss"les to begin with then, because of his overbearing advice to the churches.

I've always been attracted to older women. I used to stand in church as a teen and lust after the women--most twice or more my age--and then go home feeling lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut for committing such a heinous "sin," and in church, no less!

Hah! That reminds me of my voluptuously hot high school Spanish teacher. I think I got a "c" because all I'd do in class was ogle her lusciousness. She was far better than Mrs. Robinson...

Hah! That reminds me of my voluptuously hot high school Spanish teacher. I think I got a "c" because all I'd do in class was ogle her lusciousness. She was far better than Mrs. Robinson...

I had a teacher like that: legs from the floor all the way up to her perfect ass--and she was a flirt, too!

I had a teacher like that: legs from the floor all the way up to her perfect ass--and she was a flirt, too!

I'm jealous...mine never flirted. She just shook her boobs when she wrote on the board!

I'm jealous...mine never flirted. She just shook her boobs when she wrote on the board!

I loved the wall-mounted pencil sharpener. Guess why.

You know...what is it with all that seriousness anyway? Wasn't it the joy of Sophia to play before the presence of God? I think they all got it wrong when they decided to create God as a serious entity.

:HaHa: You're a dirty dawg like me!

:HaHa: You're a dirty dawg like me!

I used to be. :(

I used to be. :(

Here's to fond mammar...oops, memories. ;)