Goodbye Jesus

Anyone been for a debate on a fundy site?

DaveL

The point to debating fundies is not to reach out to the fundie. You already know that they're not going to change. Debating Jason Gastrich, for example, will not result in Gastrich abandoning his weak arguments.

Rather, it will expose them to their peers. Even my visit to Trib Forces raised the questioning eyebrow of one person who chose to instant message me about it.

Watching their fellow Christians squirm and dodge questions will make them feel uneasy about their faith and critically consider what the opponent has to say.

The point to debating fundies is not to reach out to the fundie.[...]

Rather, it will expose them to their peers. [...]will make them feel uneasy about their faith and critically consider what the opponent has to say.

Picture this. Fundy site. I am a committed Christian at the time. I have a dear friend who is an atheist. The two of us, using the Bible, go up against a couple of close-minded, immovable Calvinists, fully exposing their filthy doctrines and their most wicked god. It's a sad testimony for Christianity when an atheist knows the Bible better and has a better understanding of the god he does not believe in than his Christian opponents. While we've seen plenty of that on this site, that's not so visible on the Christian sites, due to their "moderation" practices.

Not to brag, but we blew everybody's minds. :woohoo:

Guest MetaBud
The point to debating fundies is not to reach out to the fundie.  You already know that they're not going to change.  Debating Jason Gastrich, for example, will not result in Gastrich abandoning his weak arguments.

Rather, it will expose them to their peers.  Even my visit to Trib Forces raised the questioning eyebrow of one person who chose to instant message me about it.

Watching their fellow Christians squirm and dodge questions will make them feel uneasy about their faith and critically consider what the opponent has to say.

For me, I found that some on those boards aren't so harden fundlementalist and when they see opposing arguments, logic, and discussion to the fundi's beliefs, they acctually begin to wake up and smell the coffee. They may have been Christians their whole life never questioning things simply taking in the programming that they have always known. And after a time, listening to you, they start THINKING for themselves. Sort of like saving the "lost". ha ha ha

Another thing is usually when you start punching hole int he fundi's mantra and rhetoric, the fundi begins calling you evil, wicked, demonic, throwing out all sorts of labels. Others see this and realize just how fucked up these people really are.

Guest Peyton

It turns out I have been banned from the BBC Messageboards (all of them) so that puts an end to me debating with the Christians or anyone else for that matter.

Guest MetaBud
It turns out I have been banned from the BBC Messageboards (all of them) so that puts an end to me debating with the Christians or anyone else for that matter.

http://snottitude.proboards20.com/index.cgi

http://www.baptist.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=index

http://box14.bluehost.com/~christi3/forums/

http://www.xsorbit6.com/users/baptistbible...bsite/index.cgi

to name a few. The last one will ban you as soon as they smell that you are not a christian.

Guest yoshi

If you look for Christians who can't hold their own, you'll find them. If you honestly look for people who can hold their own, you'll find them.

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever been for a debate on a fundy website? How was it? What sort

of reception do you get (actually speaking common sense). Does the word

YOU'LL GO TO HELL, I'll PRAY FOR YOU or YOU WERE A MEMBER OF THE WRONG CHURCH get mentioned?

Would you be likely to expect a quote or three from the bible by any chance? Wow, that would be totally original wouldn't it!

Are there any good ones (bwahhahahahahahaha) worth visiting for debating?

Cheers,

Dave

From what I've seen, none of them can hold their own. Even the mighty presuppositionalists can be reduced to blathering dolts when confronted about articulating their arguments.

If you look for Christians who can't hold their own, you'll find them. If you honestly look for people who can hold their own, you'll find them.

It's far better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not.

Welcome back, Yoshi! :)

I guess I understand the reasons to debate fundies. Its not something I could do, though. I'm not trained to deal with the mentally ill. Besides, willful stupidity simply offends me too much.

Guest yoshi
From what I've seen, none of them can hold their own.  Even the mighty presuppositionalists can be reduced to blathering dolts when confronted about articulating their arguments.

Whether or not their arguments are correct or not is generally in the eyes of the beholder. I'm not convinced by the Christian arguments I was refferring to as being able to hold their own. I guess I should have been more clear - let me reword that. If you look for Christians who can argue logically, you'll find them. This doesn't mean you'll be convinced by them, because both you and I know that it'd be nigh impossible for a Christian Missionary - no matter how logical he is - to convince us that Christianity is correct. It doesn't mean all their arguments will be logical either - hell, everyone makes crappy arguments sometime in their life. But the persons I am thinking of in paticular have shown a good ability to fix their arguments when they weren't that great, to something that was half-decent.

But then again, you guys probably deal with more of the Christians who are less rational than I do. Most of the arguing I've been doing lately is with Muslims about some of their proof-texts from the Bible. Maybe I'll post one or two of my refutations.