Goodbye Jesus

Issues with Christianity

Guest itsgreat2bab

Guest itsgreat2bab

I just found this site the other day and wondered what alll your thoughts are on what is the most irritating thing about Christians that subsequently turned you away from the faith.

I just found this site the other day and wondered what alll your thoughts are on what is the most irritating thing about Christians that subsequently turned you away from the faith.

That's a big assumption on your part. Not one christian turned me away from my former faith. The realization that faith is foolish and the fact that christian beliefs are not based in reality is what turned me from my faith.

In fact, I had some pretty amazing examples of "good" christians in my family and in my life. Nevertheless, I cannot believe that which is not true.

Your question is flawed.

It wasn't Christians that turned me from the faith, it was discovering the harsh truth that the bible was written by men and that Jesus never existed.

The most dangerous thing a believer can do is actually study the bible, church history, and the origins of the NT.

The thing that turns me off about Xtians now is "all of the above".

The most dangerous thing a believer can do is actually study the bible, church history, and the origins of the NT.

Prior to April 2004 I did none of that, had an awesome respect for those who believed what I couldn't quite understand, or cared to. Then due to events that lead up to it, I was prodded into researching my questions about the NT in the NT, and Goo Goo Google was GREAT!

They told me to look up Josh McDowell, he'll answer all my questions, after all, he was an Atheist Turned Christian Spokeman and chief money maker. So I googled him, all I found on his site was an offering to buy his books. The other site I found said "the jury is still out on Josh McDowell" and explained MORE than I wanted to know. The journey continued from there. Paul Tobin's Central Thesis put the cap on everything, he compares the histriocity of the NT.

There are 2 ways to Study the Bible... one way, you learn what's in there without thought and just memorize it well; learn ya'll lessons and become a parrot. The other is to do what many websites are now sharing and archiving. I'm sure believers (who won't even dare read them to dispute them, just outright reject them) think that it's just another sign of End Times. It's amazing the stranglehold it has on them, and they could never see it.

Nobody can show you the truth, you have to find it yourself, when/if you're ready and want to know it.

can`t believe in absurd things like talking donkeys,talking snakes, people coming back to life after being dead for 3 days , or a boat that had EVERY species of animal on it...

sorry..that is just plain silly.

can`t believe in absurd things like talking donkeys,talking snakes, people coming back to life after being dead for 3 days , or a boat that had EVERY species of animal on it...

sorry..that is just plain silly.

and the straight face people will give you who know they can't reconcile it, but believe it because that's all they know. That's their foundation.

You know how they know that Adam and Eve, and Noah and his sons were REAL and HISTORICAL and TRUE exactly as written??? BECAUSE the NT refers to them!

They quote "7th from Adam" and stuff like that.

It was really hard to pick just one because it is ALL a turn off to me.

Your question is flawed. 

It wasn't Christians that turned me from the faith, it was discovering the harsh truth that the bible was written by men and that Jesus never existed. 

I would say that my answer would be close to yours Kryten. I really started to step back when I started to reasearch early church history (the formation of the Cannon amongst other things) shit just didn't pan out to be even remotley possible. I hence my path Atheism was started. It continues to this day I am learning more stuff as time goes by :woohoo:

I can't speak for myself, but I think maybe it's because Christianity is probably the dumbest religion (in fact, it predates Mormonism...and offshoot of stupidity) that has ever been conceived. I am more willing to accept Pastafarianism than Jesus, simply because Pastafarianism is funnier.

Of course, I never turned away from the faith, because I'm clearly superior to you all... :)

I picked "other".

Mainly because "someone" forgot to include an "All of The Above" vote option. :HaHa:

Gee, what an interesting little poll.

And what a flawed little question!

What made me walk away?

Realizing that the Christian mythology wasn't any better or worse than any other mythology available.

I'm too intelligent to accept on the face of blind belief. Sucks to try to convert me, since I'm more apt to tell the True Christian the inconsistencies in his or her holy babble......

Sorry... none of them turned me away.

Come to think of it, nothing bad turned me away... I CHOSE to turn away. (mainly because the whole thing was like a badly written episode of power rangers...)

I voted "other". Basically it was a course in Christian doctrine (in a distance learning program from a Christian college) that really helped me to see how absurd Christianity is.

During my Christian life I have meet several nasty pastors. I have been around where the real decisions were made. I have seen dishonesty in financial decisions, manipulation and pastors willing to do almost everything in order to keep the "show" going. But I did not turn away from Christianity, because of that. It only motivated me to find a better Church with better pastors.

But I can testify to you, that the basic problem with Christianity is not just a few nasty pastors here and there, or Christians who don't walk their talk. Christianity is the same all over the world, and the basic problem is found in the fundamental Christian beliefs and how those beliefs influence the thinking and behaviour of people.

I too chose "other" because "all of the above" was not an option.

Now, in the beginning, it would not have been that. Its what turns me off NOW..

It was more intellectual than emotional when I chose to stop believing.

Christians don't piss me off, strictly speaking, unless they want to force their stuff on others. If someone desperately wants to ignore all available facts and believe that the whole universe was POOFed into existence by an imaginary skydaddy, fine with me. But the very moment this believer tries to make others believe the same stuff, or starts to harrass/persecute/whatever others because what he calls his "scripture" tells him to, is the moment I reach for my hammer. :wicked:

I voted [other] for "All of them".

They promote faith. That's what annoys me more than anything else, because faith blocks out reason.

They promote faith.  That's what annoys me more than anything else, because faith blocks out reason.

Not necessarily. I am a believer, would you say I don't have access to reason? ;)

I understand your point though :3:

Most Christians don't turn me off. Christianity does, but most of the followers do not.

Of the followers that do, it is their firebreathing hellspewing habits that really piss me off, not to mention Christians who will say anything, however outrageous, to validate faith.

I simply don't operate on faith, or at least blind faith. My world still works without having that level of faith.

Not necessarily. I am a believer, would you say I don't have access to reason?

Do you have blind belief, or merely belief?

Guest itsgreat2bab
I would say that my answer would be close to yours Kryten. I really started to step back when I started to reasearch early church history (the formation of the Cannon amongst other things) shit just didn't pan out to be even remotley possible. I hence my path Atheism was started. It continues to this day I am learning more stuff as time goes by  :woohoo:

What part of the formation of Cannon don't you find to be possible? This is interesting because most people will take a shot at some other aspect of christianity, not how the cannon was formed.

What is the thing that turns you off about Christians?

To answer this direct question directly, an individual Christian is an individual. No, while there are truly loathsome Christians like your Fred Phelps, Kent Hovnid, Hal Lindsey, Troy, or Kirk Cameron, make me vomit, is not reason enough for me to not be a christian any longer.

Actions that do not follow thier words

That's ppl in general.

Churches or church leaders

A significant factor for me, but not an end-all to the end of my faith. My Pastor was an YEC and even with my expanding and developing knowledge base, I could sniff the falsity of his statements and thus the tenets of his beliefs.

Variance in defined beliefs

This should make you question. If something is a doctrine, like the Trinity, why should I just accept when my reading of the bible clearly shows that Jesus is less than the father? The doctrine of the Trinity is actually heretical and only settled by the secular authority of the Roman Empire over and over again - and it took decades!

Furthermore, once you get a grasp on the the historical nature of this debate, you begin to understand Christianity is not what it markets itself and falls inline with other mythologies and epic writing.

other

The Bible as a testimony falls under critical scrutiny and reason. Bible-God is internally incoherent.

What are you asking? The most irritating thing and the thing that turned me away are certainly different things. A flawed question, as previously mentioned.

However, the "most irritating" question interests me, so I'll answer that.

Having been a Christian (of sorts- Catholic) for the majority of my life, and nearly becoming a Christian in the born-again sense, I suppose the things that irritate me about Christians would be a reflection of myself and the people I grew up with.

I suppose it is the holier-than-thou attitude disguised by concern and prayer. It is well hidden, especially from one's self, but is real none the less. I have heard never ending talk about who's unwed daughter is pregnant, who can't pay their bills, who has been drinking and neglecting their family. Talking about it so that these people can be prayed for gives one a detached sense of pity for the people-who-aren't-like-us. It raises us up while putting them down. If this were done honestly and with recognition for what it is (gossip,) I would have a little more respect. But it's all under the veil of Christianity- goodness, holiness, godliness. Baloney.

I felt sad for someone once because she did not believe in god. The feeling lasted about 30 seconds before I was embarrassed of myself. Guess I wasn't cut out to be a Christian.