Goodbye Jesus

Issues with Christianity

Guest itsgreat2bab

What is the thing that turns you off about Christians?

They believe their god can justify hell, even if they can't.

It cannot be done and still call yourself compassionate, or reasonable. :shrug:

Guest itsgreat2bab
What is the thing that turns you off about Christians?

They believe their god can justify hell, even if they can't.

It cannot be done and still call yourself compassionate, or reasonable.  :shrug:

How have you heard christians justify the idea of Hell?

The most irritating thing about christians were the way they kept insisting that I join them in their beliefs, even after I already said "no, thank you. I'm having the chicken, not the jesus fish."

How so?

Where to start...

1: The Bible

It's a work of literature and nothing more. The reasons I should doubt it as a testament of God's inspired word is for the same reasons I doubt the Bacchae by Euripides is an inspired word of Dionysius, or why Christians doubt the Qu'ran, Book of Mormon, or even to the nan-canonical texts like the Gospel of the Infant Thomas etc. Except I am consistent and apply the same level of skeptism, something which Christians (or Muslims/Mormons) end at.

My faith isn't justified and for more just read over this site or check out for a more detailed examination of the topic.

Oh and welcome to the site, and enjoy your time here.

2: God

Give me a definition that specifically describes what god is. (Note, see: this discussion that I am having with another Christian on this site regarding just that.)

Otherwise, I will leave you with the riddle of the stone.

"Can God create a stone so heavy that He cannot move it?"

Of course, I could go on and explain how omnipotence contradicts omniscience, how the trinity is frought with contradictions, and just how absurd it is that God cameth down as his himself to hang around and die on the cross that He (being so godly and all knowing you know) somehow lost or sacraficed anything... absurdities all of it.

How have you heard christians justify the idea of Hell?

Are you saying it is unchristian to do so?

Christians don't piss me off, strictly speaking, unless they want to force their stuff on others. If someone desperately wants to ignore all available facts and believe that the whole universe was POOFed into existence by an imaginary skydaddy, fine with me. But the very moment this believer tries to make others believe the same stuff, or starts to harrass/persecute/whatever others because what he calls his "scripture" tells him to, is the moment I reach for my hammer.  :wicked:

i like the way you think :wicked::HaHa:

I'm not clear on what you are asking me.

I never asked you anything at all. I was just explaining my “issues” with Christianity.

What i was asking you is how have Christians justified or explained Hell to you.

Most Christians I have met have a difficult time justifying the existence or the duration of punishment in Hell. If they do try and tackle the question they simply resort to saying the God has His reasons.

I just found this site the other day and wondered what alll your thoughts are on what is the most irritating thing about Christians that subsequently turned you away from the faith.

It wasn't necessarily because of Christians that led to my deconversion, it was the born-again paganistic/crazed belief system written in that book of blood they call the bible that turned me away from the faith.

I voted for other. Christianity is illogical, and has been disproven by facts. You can't prove it with the pseudoevidence that exists.

I'm not clear on what you are asking me.  What i was asking you is how have Christians justified or explained Hell to you.

All kind of ways. The Lewis' variant: locked from inside out. The psychological variant: punishment by loneliness and seperation in stead of bodily punishment. What's your guess? And how do you know? Can you ask god these things or do you have to rely on scriptures and own intellect? Does god tell you new things? I'd like to know.

itsgreat2bab: I'd say that all of those things you listed in your poll combined made me begin to question my faith, but they are not the only reasons I deconverted.

What part of the formation of Cannon don't you find to be possible?  This is interesting because most people will take a shot at some other aspect of christianity, not how the cannon was formed.

Well the Cannon is where I really started taking a close critical look at Christianity (if you want to keep your faith never take a critical look at your beliefs).

First off the thing they don't tell you in Sunday school is that there were many books that were recognized as "inspired" books prior to the cannon then by and by a committee comes and votes what books we are going to use in the bible??? not only that but there are more than just a few versions of the bible recognized by the Christians, it all depends on what area of the world you are in to what version of the bible you'll get. The Armenian Church has its own version, the Catholics have their version, and the western Protestants have their version (just to name a few).

if you want some reference one of the articles I read can be found HERE and like I said the cannon was the start of my journey to Atheism it was not an overnight process it took months even years but I would say that the cannon issue was one of the bigger steps.

First off the thing they don't tell you in Sunday school is that there were many books that were recognized as "inspired" books prior to the cannon then by and by a committee comes and votes what books we are going to use in the bible???

The voting business appears to be urban legend, although there's no denying that the canon pretty much solidified that year, as Eusebius published his list of the canon in 325.

Council of Nicea

Like many others I chose "other". It wasn't the actions of christians that turned me away, it was that GOD's actions didn't follow his own word. Specifically the failure of prayer. Once that opened the door to doubt, I was able to take an honest look at what I had believed and realized it was nonsense.

I just found this site the other day and wondered what alll your thoughts are on what is the most irritating thing about Christians that subsequently turned you away from the faith.

It wasn't "christians" that turned me away.

When I was a christian, I believed everything in the bible, until I read the fucking thing.

It wasn't "christians" that turned me away.

When I was a christian, I believed everything in the bible, until I read the fucking thing.

:grin: Yah, me too.

'Other' for me, too. It's really hard to explain - you might as well ask a believer why he believes.

For starters, tho, it was God's failures. All the crap the fundie sect I was in didn't come true like they said it would (ie, God and/or Satan would kill me if I left the church).

That set a lightbulb off over my head. :Hmm:

Now I'd say all of the above and more - once I read 'The Demon-Haunted World' the scales fell from my eyes.

Once I read 'The Matt Damon-Haunted World' the scales fell from my eyes.

:wicked:

Sorry, couldn't resist