Goodbye Jesus

Satanism

Guest Babylonian Dream

Guest Babylonian Dream

Before you start pulling out Christian sermons, Islamic sermons, Jewish sermons, fake crazy psycho ideas, troubled teenagers and hollywood in a response, actually know what satanism is and is not. Actually, those ideas of what Satanism is is more likely to resemble the Abrahamic faiths than anything.

Some common misconceptions cleared up:

1) It is the Bible's god, not Satanists who sacrificed babies, or killed them.

2) It is people with mental illnesses that do that crazy crap, not satanists

3) It's Christians, Muslims and Jews who really believe in Satan, not Satanists.

4) Satanists believe that neither Satan nor God exist (well...I'm refering to the LaVeyan Satanists).

5) They see Satan as a symbol of the carnal, human side of humanity. Not that there is another side.

6) The point of Satan's names' meaning, "adversary"/"accuser" is a sidebonus, as well as his opposition to the Abrahamic God, which is used on the side as a bonus, and not the main point of Satanism. Satanism is only linked to that God as far as him being the opposite of what God is for (self-suppression, abstenance, not committing the 7 "deadly :lmao: " sins, wasting this life praising a god for the next life, etc...)

The main point is actually the side of Satan that is associated with man's natural desires. The way he is as a human animal, Satanists embrace that, instead of shun it in hopes for a heavenly paradise.

7) Satanists don't break laws, actually they tend to be law abiding citizens like everyone else. Turns out, even the Satanic Bible discourages what the Christian one is for, violence for no good reason.

8) Satanists don't believe that sexual orgies or anything else is satanism. Nor is there some sex ritual to join. Actually, this arose from where LaVey advocated for free love, you have consentual sex however you want. Obviously not with people who aren't able to consent such as children, so don't even think about it!!!! (I know you guys wouldn't go there, but christians elsewhere have been there)

9) Satanism is a religion that is more ethical than most religions, including all the abrahamic ones.

So with that being said, we can proceed. Want to learn more about Satanism?

Go to:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/

Excellent site.

The Satanic religion/philosophy (depending on how you define religion, it may not be a called a religion), is one of embracing who you naturally are. While each Satanist has his own definition of what Satanism entails, its pretty much moreless the same, an interpretation of what it Satanism is based on, but not only, the satanic Bible and other writings by LaVey (and sometimes others). However, I think that people should arrive at their own conclusions and not just go after what LaVey said as if he were some kind of prophet of Satan or something.

Lavey stated that God was just the externalization of one's ego. The Christian God, for example, being the externalization of its founders ego. And whatever other god out there, was created by man as the externalization of their ego. Is it true? Well...whether we call it an ego or an imaginary friend, it doesnt matter, it's damn right. So Lavey said that moreless, why externalize it? why not just worship your own ego? (well that isn't his exact words, but moreless, why not worship yourself as yourself, instead of as something other than, why not just embrace who you are instead of running from it).

I may or may not fully understand Mr. LaVey, but I think I have a grasp of some of his philosophy here. Why not embrace the human animal you are? Why think of it as bad, and worship the externalization of someone else's ego instead? We live only this life, and that is a fact, why not live it up the greatest we can?

I'm still looking into this, so I am not 100% informed, but trust me on this, as I am at the very least 75% informed, I've almost completed the Satanic Bible, and am reading more on it.

Am I a Satanist? Right now? No. I don't know that I will be. I'm lookin into it. I've expressed before my interest in finding a religion just for the heck and fun of it, not to actually believe in. Though Satanism isn't what I had in mind. Though I am looking into it, and am not just going to dismiss it unfairly, I'm going to actually look into it.

Whether you are interested or not, please look into it fairly, as you will be suprised at what you find.

As oxymoronic as this statement is, it is true:

It's a good, honest religion.

Though one problem I think it has in catching on, for the believers of abrahamic faiths, its against what they're for. For others, its main audience, atheists and agnostics and people like them, they'd have to see the point or they won't get it or be one, and its not for them.

• Super Moderator

Seriously, are you that desperate to label yourself a rebel?

Guest Babylonian Dream

Seriously, are you that desperate to label yourself a rebel?

Did I call myself a rebel? Or a Satanist?

And besides the absolute lack of concern for what is socially normal, and the obvious attempt to grab attention with "obscene-looking" imagery, what is wrong with that?

Just going to respond with an emotional response? No real serious objections?

"satanism" - it's still an 'ism.' It's playing dressup. Idiotic. Shall I go on?

Guest Babylonian Dream

Indeed, what do you mean? Is not atheism and agnosticism also an ism? carry on, why ask me when no one is holding you back?

• Super Moderator

Laveyanism is not Satanism. Why call a religion Satanism when you hold no belief in the existence of Satan? True Satanists believe in the supernatural person of Satan and worship him in rebellion to Christians who worship his nemesis, God. Lavey himself never worshipped a Satan deity. "Real" Satanists consider his organization a blasphemy to their god.

I read the book and have spoken with a couple of Lavey's followers (years ago). I concluded that as with all the other modern religions, all it took was an opportunistic huckster to start a movement. He capitalized on the Hippie/Hollywood culture, the interest in the occult, and crafted a belief system based of the Christian view of a Satan. Still, though Lavey never believed Satan existed, he used the outlandish trappings of popular belief in the Christian devil to gather followers and make a splash. Sex orgies were definitely a part of the attraction, as was the acceptance of drugs, though drugs weren't ever officially used because the cops were watching them pretty closely.

I haven't followed the movement through the years and I don't know if the current management has made any major changes in the philosophy or practices, but the beginning was pretty lame, in a Halloween kind of way.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Laveyanism is not Satanism. Why call a religion Satanism when you hold no belief in the existence of Satan?

O rly? And not those who see him as a symbol? By what authority? What makes you know more about satanism than satanists?

True Satanists believe in the supernatural person of Satan and worship him in rebellion to Christians who worship his nemesis, God.

hmm... that sounds more like gnosticism to me.

Lavey himself never worshipped a Satan deity. "Real" Satanists consider his organization a blasphemy to their god.

O really? Like which ones? The ones that arrived on the scene after the ChurchofSatan and took inspiration from LaVey? What makes them more credible? And why not those who came before LaVey who never called themselves "satanists", but still were the forebears of the philosophy? What makes those who came after LaVey more credible to talk about Satanism?

Laveyan satanism has Satan as a symbol, what is wrong with that?

I read the book and have spoken with a couple of Lavey's followers (years ago). I concluded that as with all the other modern religions, all it took was an opportunistic huckster to start a movement. He capitalized on the Hippie/Hollywood culture, the interest in the occult, and crafted a belief system based of the Christian view of a Satan. Still, though Lavey never believed Satan existed, he used the outlandish trappings of popular belief in the Christian devil to gather followers and make a splash.

So? It's not like he himself hadn't stated that, or tried to hide it. Though how does it discredit it? He wants to actively stand opposite Christianity? So? Richard Dawkins does the same, without a religion that lacks imaginary friends.

Sex orgies were definitely a part of the attraction, as was the acceptance of drugs, though drugs weren't ever officially used because the cops were watching them pretty closely.

But they weren't actually a part of Satanism themselves. They don't tell you what to and not to do with your own body.

I haven't followed the movement through the years and I don't know if the current management has made any major changes in the philosophy or practices, but the beginning was pretty lame, in a Halloween kind of way.

Though like Holloween, if you don't get it, and it's not for you, that's your perogative.

Indeed, what do you mean? Is not atheism and agnosticism also an ism? carry on, why ask me when no one is holding you back?

I'm not an atheist, I'm not an agnostic - labels are pointless. Just live your fucking life. :loser:

Not interested in Satanism from the get go. I just don't see the appeal.

I read the Satanic Bible once upon a time, and I will say that LaVey knew he had an audience, and wrote to them well enough to sell his book. I can see the attraction his work would have to people fed up with Christian bullshit, but I just never wanted to go along with it myself. Too much egoism for me.

If it gets others off, whatever. Plenty of people have opinions about my beliefs and philosophies, mostly bad. :shrug:

Do whatever gets you to live your life well.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I'm not an atheist, I'm not an agnostic - labels are pointless. Just live your fucking life. :loser:

Haha... and some like the labels and to have some club to go to of like minded people.

Not interested in Satanism from the get go. I just don't see the appeal.

Same here from what I'm learning. Though it's still interesting to learn about. I think it's one of those things where you have to see the point and appeal to want to take any part in it.

• Super Moderator
What makes you know more about satanism than satanists?

As I said, I don't know what the current crop of Laveyanists are up to, but I was around when it started. I also used to know people who believed in Satan and worshipped him. Laveyans (in my experience) went out of their way to be different, outrageous, hip, and feed their egos by belonging to an exclusive club much like Hell's Angels and Goths.

I figure you can call yourself a Hedonist to accomplish the same thing and not have to look silly doing it.

If horns and a cape make someone feel cool, then so mote it be. It can't do any harm. I just suggest it's a good idea to thoroughly think through identifying with a fringe group before you feel vested in it and need to defend the decision after you grow out of it.

I thought Christianity taught Satanism? We would not know about Satan if it were not for Christians. I don't see the appeal either.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I thought Christianity taught Satanism? We would not know about Satan if it were not for Christians. I don't see the appeal either.

Well depends which satan. The Jewish one was the original, he was god's servant, and still is a good angel. He's man's adversary because he tempts us to do bad so he can stand before God and accuse us of sinning because God made us flawed.

Christian Satan is actually Satan fused with the persian Ahriman. As is the arabic one. So the LaVeyans just added one more satan to the Satans that already existed in lore.

No supernatural entity has been proven to exist. Next.

Damn Par!! You're a party pooper.. tongue.gif

And that's the nicest thing thats been said about me all week!GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Guest Babylonian Dream

I can't explain it, and I have no proof, but the flying spaghetti monster is real! I know, because he's touched my soul with his noodly appendage!!!!!

I can't explain it, and I have no proof, but the flying spaghetti monster is real! I know, because he's touched my soul with his noodly appendage!!!!!

He also gave me the ultimate orgasm with said noodlely appendage.

Here's an article by pagan writer Issac Bonewits about his experiences with the Church of Satan while he was in college.My Satanic Adventure

Before you start pulling out Christian sermons, Islamic sermons, Jewish sermons, fake crazy psycho ideas, troubled teenagers and hollywood in a response, actually know what satanism is and is not. Actually, those ideas of what Satanism is is more likely to resemble the Abrahamic faiths than anything.

Some common misconceptions cleared up:

1) It is the Bible's god, not Satanists who sacrificed babies, or killed them.

2) It is people with mental illnesses that do that crazy crap, not satanists

3) It's Christians, Muslims and Jews who really believe in Satan, not Satanists.

4) Satanists believe that neither Satan nor God exist

5) They see Satan as a symbol of the carnal, human side of humanity. Not that there is another side.

6) The point of Satan's names' meaning, "adversary"/"accuser" is a side bonus, as well as his opposition to the Abrahamic God, which is used on the side as a bonus, and not the main point of Satanism. Satanism is only linked to that God as far as him being the opposite of what God is for.

7) Satanists don't break laws, actually they tend to be law abiding citizens like everyone else. Turns out, even the Satanic Bible discourages what the Christian one is for, violence for no good reason.

8) Satanists don't believe that sexual orgies or anything else is satanism. Nor is there some sex ritual to join. Actually, this arose from where LaVey advocated for free love, you have consensual sex however you want. Obviously not with people who aren't able to consent such as children, so don't even think about it!!!! (I know you guys wouldn't go there, but Christians elsewhere have been there)

9) Satanism is a religion that is more ethical than most religions, including all the abrahamic ones.

So with that being said, we can proceed. Want to learn more about Satanism?

Go to:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/

You forget there are other Satanists, not just Laveyan (atheistic) ones.

He also gave me the ultimate orgasm with said noodlely appendage.

He's a great god isn't he? :lmao:

I think Anselm would have described it as "A noodly being greater than which cannot be conceived or imagined."

Ergo, it exists.

Tab, I had not seen Isaac Bonewits essay before, nor did I even know he had an encounter with Satanism. It doesn't surprise me, as any young person interested in "alternative spiritualities" has at least read something of Satanism these days. I will say, for myself, I trust Bonewits' word on the issue of his personal experiences and observations. I didn't know that the Church of Satan courted such right-wing radicals and racists, but I've heard crazier things. I certainly don't believe Bonewits is a "secret Satanist", and had no idea that idea was even taken seriously by anyone not Christian.

Even without the extra information from that essay, I'd never consider being Satanist myself. As I said, it's just too short-sighted and ego-centric for me. I'm of a different philosophical and spiritual bent.