Goodbye Jesus

Where Science And Buddhism Meet

Major Tom

Where Science and Buddhism Meet PART 1

Where Science and Buddhism Meet PART 2

Nice topic Major Tom...

I think a good place where science and Buddhism meet is at the concept of entailment or implication. Buddhist use the phrase "dependent arising" or the word "emptiness". What is made clear here is that everything exists within a web of relations to everything else. In mathematics one may frequently run into the expresseion P --> Q, which just means P implies Q or P entails Q or if P then Q. In my opinion this concept provides a firm foundation to understand anything, anything at all.

Thanks for posting this Major Tom. I don't know much about quantum physics but I think the interconnectedness relates.

Interconnectedness... That's it Deva. Everything is interconnected.

I got into this stuff a few years ago. Then I took basic college math and physics.

The quantum field is not the same thing as Brahman or the Tao.

I think cultivating an "eastern" mindset can be useful in trying to grasp some of quantum theory's abstractions, but everything else here is pseudoscience at best. Quantum theory does raise interesting ontological questions, but that belongs in the field of metaphysics. These videos are pure mysticism, and represent a serious misunderstanding of not only quantum mechanics, but science in general. Shit like this just feeds ignorance.

I got into this stuff a few years ago. Then I took basic college math and physics.

The quantum field is not the same thing as Brahman or the Tao.

I think cultivating an "eastern" mindset can be useful in trying to grasp some of quantum theory's abstractions, but everything else here is pseudoscience at best. Quantum theory does raise interesting ontological questions, but that belongs in the field of metaphysics. These videos are pure mysticism, and represent a serious misunderstanding of not only quantum mechanics, but science in general. Shit like this just feeds ignorance.

Classical physics cannot explain the Universe. It's primary use nowadays is in making toys, bombs and pesticides. Quantum physics should be called the Science of Consciousness and Thought Manifestation, because that is where "reality" stems from. The entire physical universe is holographic, manifested thought. Quantum Science can be considered Metaphysics by a different name, and is studied within a branch of learning in the laboratory by men in white coats instead of priestly robes. Science and Philosophy are merged in the discussion of the actions and reactions of Thought upon Thoughts' manifestations.

All particles of the Universe were once compressed down to the size of a green pea, all of it. Though the Universe is now expanded, each particle is interconnected and holographic, energetically linked to its' source, the Green Pea, also known as the Prime Mover, the Universe. What this means is that there is no real separation between electrons, and furthermore there is no separation between people. We are all one Consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Only conscious beings can be observers; therefore we are intimately hooked in to the very existence of reality. Without us there would be just an expanding superposition of possibilities with nothing definite actually happening. No person is inconsequential.

-------------------------

Kindly note the following definitions from The American Heritage® Dictionary, Fourth Edition

silverpenny013Hmmm.gif quantum physics - The branch of physics that uses quantum theory to describe and predict the properties of a physical system.

silverpenny013Hmmm.gif metaphysics - The branch of philosophy that examines the nature of reality, including the relationship between mind and matter, substance and attribute, fact and value.

As we can see from the above, Quantum physics "describes and predicts" while "Metaphysics "examines the nature of" reality. One need no longer be afraid of Quantum Weirdness, also known as Mysticism, since Quantum Science now can explain it.

default.jpg10:05

The Quantum Apocalypse of The Holographic Universe

• Super Moderator
Life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

That's a pretty wild assertion. Is that revealed wisdom, scientific fact, or the tagline for a self help book?

I didn't watch the videos, but this immediately reminded me of a great book I have. Quantum and the Lotus, by Matthieu Ricard and Trinh Xuan Thuan. It's set up as a conversation between a western scientist gone Buddhist monk, and a Vietnamese man raised Buddhist, now an astrophysicist. It took me a while to get through it, lots of huge ideas in there, but I found it interesting that the monk argued against the idea of ID, and the astrophysicist was all for a "blind watchmaker", as such. I might have to read it again to get the ideas totally, but I found it a cool book.

"The entire physical universe is holographic, manifested thought." "Life is a dream, we are all the imagination of ourselves."

Sounds to me like you are a proponent of "everything is just an illusion, there is no reality" bullshit.

Oh, dear me, the stuff the human animal comes up with, never ceases to amaze me.

Row row row your boat gently down the stream merrily merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream.

Sigh

Major Tom still at it, perfecting his bullshit I see. Maybe one day he will give Deepak Chopra a run for his money.

Classical physics cannot explain the Universe. It's primary use nowadays is in making toys, bombs and pesticides.

Classical physics alone cannot describe the universe (quantum mechanics alone can't, either). None of science can "explain," the universe. It can, however, get better and better at describing it.

Quantum physics should be called the Science of Consciousness and Thought Manifestation, because that is where "reality" stems from. The entire physical universe is holographic, manifested thought.

Please define the terms: consciousness; thought manifestation; reality; and holographic; then explain why and how quantum mechanics relates to these terms. Because right now they sound like a bunch of catchphrases that even you don't really understand.

Quantum Science can be considered Metaphysics by a different name, and is studied within a branch of learning in the laboratory by men in white coats instead of priestly robes. Science and Philosophy are merged in the discussion of the actions and reactions of Thought upon Thoughts' manifestations.

1. No, it can't, because quantum physics deala with SCIENCE, and metaphysics, by its very definition, is beyond the realm of science's falsifiable hypotheses. 2. Yes, quantum physicists are scientists, not priests (see: science vs. metaphysics). What is your point? 3. You seem to be under the odd impression that subatomic particles are thoughts. If that is the case, then those guys over at CERN would be really glad to know that they can stop fucking around with the LHC, and just start watching Youtube. You should write them a letter.

All particles of the Universe were once compressed down to the size of a green pea, all of it. Though the Universe is now expanded, each particle is interconnected and holographic, energetically linked to its' source, the Green Pea, also known as the Prime Mover, the Universe. What this means is that there is no real separation between electrons, and furthermore there is no separation between people. We are all one Consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. Life is a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Only conscious beings can be observers; therefore we are intimately hooked in to the very existence of reality. Without us there would be just an expanding superposition of possibilities with nothing definite actually happening. No person is inconsequential.

As we can see from the above, Quantum physics "describes and predicts" while "Metaphysics "examines the nature of" reality. One need no longer be afraid of Quantum Weirdness, also known as Mysticism, since Quantum Science now can explain it.

I give up. This is just stupid.

Everyone's always looking for that "grand unification theory".

It's fanciful metaphor, but in the end it's mysticism.

And now, because Sigma X3939 just went super-nova, I feel moved to have a donut.

I can't wrap my mind around quantum physics, but the idea of different levels of reality - the "relative reality" and the "absolute reality" I think has some merit.

Life does often seem to me to be somehow illusory. Here today, gone tomorrow has always seemed pretty strange to me.

I can't wrap my mind around quantum physics, but the idea of different levels of reality - the "relative reality" and the "absolute reality" I think has some merit.

Life does often seem to me to be somehow illusory. Here today, gone tomorrow has always seemed pretty strange to me.

Just think of all of the life formst impacted by Sigma X3939.

I mean, if there were any...

Just think of all of the life formst impacted by Sigma X3939.

I mean, if there were any...

Good illustration, yes. I just get the feeling that everything is a bit wobbly. I was just thinking today as I was driving under the I-95 overpass - what if that thing came down on me? I just have these ideas often.

Ok, maybe I'm also a little part of the woo-woo "reality is just a soft curtain" crowd, but hey, I'm drawn to mysticism. I don't seek to throw out classical physics, or even try to explain most quantum physics to someone and act like I know what the fuck I'm talking about. BUT - from what I've read, quantum physics does seem to lean towards the idea that reality is not as stark and solid as everyone has thought in western science for ages. There was a time when it was thought the atom was indivisible.

I understand not wanting to jump to conclusions, such as claiming there is an astral plane, gods exist and dine on purple pineapples in their candy homes in Valhalla, or whatever, but buddhism and mystic schools HAVE stated similar truths that have been found in quantum physics.

Everything is interconnected, is one. The implications of that alone is HUGE, when you think about it.

There is more nothing in the universe than there is something.

Does this mean we should all dance around the lava lamp with crystals on our heads? No, but it's interesting to think about and compare.

Ok, maybe I'm also a little part of the woo-woo "reality is just a soft curtain" crowd, but hey, I'm drawn to mysticism. I don't seek to throw out classical physics, or even try to explain most quantum physics to someone and act like I know what the fuck I'm talking about. BUT - from what I've read, quantum physics does seem to lean towards the idea that reality is not as stark and solid as everyone has thought in western science for ages. There was a time when it was thought the atom was indivisible.

I understand not wanting to jump to conclusions, such as claiming there is an astral plane, gods exist and dine on purple pineapples in their candy homes in Valhalla, or whatever, but buddhism and mystic schools HAVE stated similar truths that have been found in quantum physics.

Everything is interconnected, is one. The implications of that alone is HUGE, when you think about it.

There is more nothing in the universe than there is something.

Does this mean we should all dance around the lava lamp with crystals on our heads? No, but it's interesting to think about and compare.

Let me give you a taste of materialist woo.

We ARE living in a matrix. The machinery of genetics and cells churns out products including our perception of existing and the illusion of free will (when, in fact, it is the machinery itself that makes us do what we do and think what we think for its own purposes - continuation - survival). What does chicken taste like? It tastes like our program tells us it tastes like, but our brains don't "taste" - it is an interpretation of a chemical reaction propagated electrically to our processing centers.

Everything we see, touch, smell, taste or hear is delivered indirectly, processed, and passed on to the cortex -- where we exist -- and our cortex is ruled by the subcortex including the amygdala, reticular activating system and limbic system.

Existence is an illusion of a complicated chemistry over which we have virtually no control.

The curtain is the interface between that which does exist and our personality - which is a construct. It has taken billions of years to reach our present state, and if the construct ceases to be useful to That Which Exists, things will change.

Let me give you a taste of materialist woo...

and is this incompatible with Buddhism?

Let me give you a taste of materialist woo...

and is this incompatible with Buddhism?

I don't know... I think Buddhism is broad enough and, at least in some sects, atheistic enough to encompass this materialistic view, but I'm sure the words they would use would be quite different! :grin:

I don't know... I think Buddhism is broad enough and, at least in some sects, atheistic enough to encompass this materialistic view, but I'm sure the words they would use would be quite different! :grin:

and that is a fair assessment.

where we are running into a problem here is that folks are equating scientific principles with Buddhist concepts (or misconceptions of them). fast and loose interpretations such as The Tao of Physics or What the Bleep... only confuse ideas that are already somewhat counter-intuitive.

what buddhism says about the world we live in is that all phenomena are transient, subject to change, interdependent and interpenetrated. to me it seems this overall worldview is confirmed by scientific findings. this is not the focus of buddhist practice however.

Fine, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

What do you mean? I thought your post#16 was well stated. :thanks:

What do you mean? I thought your post#16 was well stated. :thanks:

Thanks Deva. And pardon, I'm having a battle with depression atm. But I won't derail the thread. So, thanks.

Isn't this section a place to where those of us that do believe in some other form of spiritualism can come and be safe from the woo-woo police?

From the Rules:

"In this one area of Ex-Christian.net, each individual who has adopted an alternative spiritual expression should feel encouraged to freely express any experiences, thoughts, or opinions without fear of being brow beaten, harshly criticized, or condemned."

I would classify myself as a mystic and although I don't post in here very much (I must have masochistic tendencies!), I would think that those that do should be able to without being called ignorant, stupid or claiming it's all bullshit.

Sheesh...

Isn't this section a place to where those of us that do believe in some other form of spiritualism can come and be safe from the woo-woo police?

and if the ideas presented are misrepresenting what they are claimed to be?