Goodbye Jesus

Unitarian Universalist Association

Heathen Heather

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Unitarian Universalist Association, and if so, what can you tell us about it?

And if you do have experience with the UUA...Did you leave it when you became an ex-Christian? Or perhaps, did you join it when you became an ex-Christian?

I went to a UU church here in Wichita for a while. They're good people, but I just never really 'clicked' with them. And I just can't bring myself to take any religious ceremony seriously anymore... kinda hard to keep a straight face while they're "lighting the chalice" and all that. After a while, it just started to feel too much like 'church'- lots of talk (though a huge improvement over the evangelical christianity that I grew up with) and lots of requests for more money.

But the deciding factor was that after a while, I just wanted to sleep in late on Sunday.

I think the UU church is a great place for free-thinkers who want a sense of community and/or the sort of structure that church provides. I liked the mix of people- there were atheists, agnostics, christians, wiccans, jews, buddhists, etc. Not many blue-collar types like myself though, but I think that's more a reflection of our culture than of the UU church. Personally, I think I'm too busy and too schizoid to bother with it right now- but I may be back some day if I'm bored on a Sunday morning.

I went to a Unitarian church for about 2 years. I also felt like I just did not fit in or "clicked" with the group. It was disturbing to me how churchlike it was - the basic church structure was still there, yet these people did not believe any of it. The chalice thing also seemed silly to me. It didn't really mean anything.

I left when they kept asking me for more money.

• Super Moderator

A church is a church.

A church is a church.

That is pretty much it.

I've attended three near me, two very small (and very much in need of funds to maintain their buildings) and one very large and vibrant group. I like them all, but am most comfortable with the large one, mainly because of the positive energy and compelling minister. He's an intellectual, so he's always exploring interesting ideas. I also love the singing and even the rituals. They are sheer symbolism, and that is psychologically comforting to many.

I don't get there too often because it's so far away and I'm really not much of a group person, but if I lived closer, I think it would be a smart thing for me to be involved with. Support, love, community, intellectual stimulation, etc. around spirituality...it's a good place for that for open-minded folk.

Of course, each group is different, so the best way is to try. You might also check out the principles the church revolves around, and see if they jibe with your values.

Phanta

I've been tempted to go to one. I just looked it up, and there's a small one (80 members or so) and I'm tempted to go just to see who's there.

I love mine. :) I feel very at home, and very accepted. I joined while looking for a location for my wedding, after leaving christianity. My husband is atheist, and also likes it. Nice to have resources and a way to meet like-minded people.

• Super Moderator

From the UU website:

No universalistic faith can relinquish the Bible and claim to be either religious or liberal. Unitarian Universalism has been influenced and will continue to be influenced by the Bible. UU congregations that seek a vital, relevant, liberal religious voice will read, study, interpret, and invoke the Bible with honesty and integrity, with a soft heart and a hard head. This is our heritage. This is our calling.

Knowing what I do about the Bible and its history, I have no use for groups that accept the document as valid in any way. How atheism fits in with this concept eludes me, though I imagine some individual congregations don't follow the official UU religion very closely anyway. Anyone who believes anything, or nothing, is accepted - yet they are officially still tied to the Bible. I just don't see the point.

From the UU website:

No universalistic faith can relinquish the Bible and claim to be either religious or liberal. Unitarian Universalism has been influenced and will continue to be influenced by the Bible. UU congregations that seek a vital, relevant, liberal religious voice will read, study, interpret, and invoke the Bible with honesty and integrity, with a soft heart and a hard head. This is our heritage. This is our calling.

Knowing what I do about the Bible and its history, I have no use for groups that accept the document as valid in any way. How atheism fits in with this concept eludes me, though I imagine some individual congregations don't follow the official UU religion very closely anyway. Anyone who believes anything, or nothing, is accepted - yet they are officially still tied to the Bible. I just don't see the point.

Yes, they are "influenced" by the bible, as many other religious texts, but not tied to its dogma. It would be kind of silly to claim to be Unitarian (Christian origins) and Universalist (also Christian origins) and dismiss one major religious text and the spiritual insights it contains, especially when its origins are Christain. They are only "offically still tied" to the bible by its insights. If that's the case, then they are also offically tied to all other religions and philosophical texts. :shrug:

Here is their Theological Perspective:

Theological Perspectives

Unitarian Universalism is a liberal religion that embraces theological diversity. Our faith has evolved through a long history with origins in European Christian traditions. Unitarian Universalism today is the result of the 1961 consolidation of the American Unitarian Association and the Universalist Church of America. To learn more about the history and evolution of our faith, please see History.

While our congregations uphold shared principles, individual Unitarian Universalists may discern their own beliefs about theological issues. As there is no official Unitarian Universalist creed, Unitarian Universalists are free to search for truth on many paths.

We welcome people who identify with and draw inspiration from Atheism and Agnosticism, Buddhism, Christianity, Humanism, Judaism, Paganism, and other religious or philosophical traditions.

Here is another quote from the same page yours came from, which was just a paragraph on one person's view from six listed on that page about the bible:

The six UU contributors describe their particular relationships to the Bible, and address more generally the relevancy of scripture to religious liberals. All contributors agree that the Bible is riddled with historical errors but nonetheless can serve as an important repository of human truth. Does the Bible have any significance in their lives at all? Each voice in this pamphlet renders a unique and stirring account of the Bible's continued vitality for religious liberals in the twenty-first century.

Here is a another view from a different person:

Interpretations of the Bible can be outmoded, sexist, racist, and excessively violent. The Bible can also be a source of hope-filled compassion, honest introspection, motivation toward justice, and comforting inspiration. If indeed "revelation is not sealed," then we must remain open to the possibility of new and higher truths that may come to us from diverse sources . . . including the Bible.

And another:

I have told stories and read poetry from the Bible throughout the twenty-one years of my Unitarian Universalist ministry. Yet the Bible remains for me but one rich source among many human records that speak to us of the joys and challenges of being alive.

Unitarian Universalist Views of the Bible

You should read what they believe about Jesus on the "Jesus" page. The views vary quite a bit.

Oh,

Here are their principles:

Principles

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

* Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;

* Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;

* Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;

* Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;

* Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.

* Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

Principles

I know...it's horrible! :HaHa:

I believe that the congregations differ widely as to what is emphasized. I am not an activist type. It seemed that the church I was in was into all the liberal political causes. It isn't that I am a conservative, but this was just like the accepted viewpoint. It was not really religious, but it had the trappings of religion. That is what bothered me. The members seemed to be either very liberal Christians or atheists. It is hard to explain what it really IS to someone. The traditional Christian hymns were sung with some words changed.

Maybe it really bothered me because at the time I attended I just came out of a very fundamentalist form of Christianity. Each to their own. If you like it, and it helps you, fine.

I believe that the congregations differ widely as to what is emphasized. I am not an activist type. It seemed that the church I was in was into all the liberal political causes. It isn't that I am a conservative, but this was just like the accepted viewpoint. It was not really religious, but it had the trappings of religion. That is what bothered me. The members seemed to be either very liberal Christians or atheists. It is hard to explain what it really IS to someone. The traditional Christian hymns were sung with some words changed.

Maybe it really bothered me because at the time I attended I just came out of a very fundamentalist form of Christianity. Each to their own. If you like it, and it helps you, fine.

The one my daughter and I attend (it's been a few years) seems to be mostly into helping the community by picking up trash or taking the donation money and giving it to the needy.

The last time we went, the preacher was talking about Greek mythology and speaking of the meaning and insights into our lives that this story had. Another time, he was speaking about Buddhism. To me, it's very refreshing to know that there are other people that can view the stories are they really are without the literal meanings. They get to the heart of the stories.

The following sentence is drawn from the Wikipedia article on Unitarian Universalism:

"There is no single unifying belief that all Unitarian Universalists (UUs) hold, aside from complete and responsible freedom of speech, thought, belief, faith, and disposition."

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the word "disposition" means in this context, as it has me puzzled.

Thanks!

The following sentence is drawn from the Wikipedia article on Unitarian Universalism:

"There is no single unifying belief that all Unitarian Universalists (UUs) hold, aside from complete and responsible freedom of speech, thought, belief, faith, and disposition."

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the word "disposition" means in this context, as it has me puzzled.

Thanks!

Maybe it has to do with the dispostion of the person? I had to go googleing! I'm not sure but here is something I found:

• DISPOSITION (noun)

The noun DISPOSITION has 4 senses:

1. your usual mood

2. the act or means of getting rid of something

3. an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others

4. a natural or acquired habit or characteristic tendency in a person or thing

Familiarity information: DISPOSITION used as a noun is uncommon.

I guess one can be a real ass and still be welcome! Honestly, I don't know.

Maybe it has to do with the dispostion of the person? I had to go googling! I'm not sure but here is something I found:

• DISPOSITION (noun)

1. your usual mood

Silly me, I didn't think of using a dictionary! I did of course google the term "disposition" when I first read the Wikipedia article, but the only results I got were a bunch of legal stuff about wills and the transfer of property. (Probably subsumed under definition #2 above.)

I guess the other three definitions probably have to do with what is intended by the UU's. What I suspect is meant that they won't judge their members who are into "alternative lifestyles," shall we say. In other words, I suspected that this was possibly a veiled reference to accepting swingers and those who believe in better living through chemistry.

Maybe I was kind of right, at least on my first point. After doing some more googling, I've found that there is a vanguard trying to push for acceptance of polyamory in the UUA, but apparently they're a barely accepted avant-garde among UU's even in the most liberal areas of the USA.

Here are some links:

http://www.uupa.org/Literature/LiberalReligion.htm

http://www.uucorvallis.org/sermons/05_0508--From%20Abstinence%20to%20Polyamory.htm

http://www.surviveandthriveboston.com/2009/12/polyamorous-community-seeks-mo.html

http://www.philocrites.com/archives/003618.html

I went to a Unitarian church for about 2 years. I left when they kept asking me for more money.

I've never been to a UU church, but reading about them, I thought it might be something for me to explore. Thanks for warning me about this aspect of it!

The one my daughter and I attend (it's been a few years) seems to be mostly into helping the community by picking up trash or taking the donation money and giving it to the needy.

The last time we went, the preacher was talking about Greek mythology and speaking of the meaning and insights into our lives that this story had. Another time, he was speaking about Buddhism. To me, it's very refreshing to know that there are other people that can view the stories are they really are without the literal meanings. They get to the heart of the stories.

This sounds like the kind of UU church I might like to attend. I'm guessing there's so much variation from one UU congregation to the next, though, I would be on shaky ground assuming that the UU church in my town is like the one you attend.

I've attended three near me, two very small and one very large and vibrant group. I like them all, but am most comfortable with the large one, mainly because of the positive energy and compelling minister. He's an intellectual, so he's always exploring interesting ideas. I also love the singing and even the rituals. They are sheer symbolism, and that is psychologically comforting to many.

Support, love, community, intellectual stimulation, etc. around spirituality...it's a good place for open-minded folk.

Of course, each group is different, so the best way is to try. You might also check out the principles the church revolves around, and see if they jibe with your values.

Phanta

Thanks for your advice. I had some contact with someone from a group affiliated with my local UU church--not the minister or other public leaders--and it didn't go so well. I dunno if that means the local UU church is not for me--or that that one UU group is not for me.

Maybe it has to do with the dispostion of the person? I had to go googling! I'm not sure but here is something I found:

• DISPOSITION (noun)

1. your usual mood

Silly me, I didn't think of using a dictionary! I did of course google the term "disposition" when I first read the Wikipedia article, but the only results I got were a bunch of legal stuff about wills and the transfer of property. (Probably subsumed under definition #2 above.)

I guess the other three definitions probably have to do with what is intended by the UU's. What I suspect is meant that they won't judge their members who are into "alternative lifestyles," shall we say. In other words, I suspected that this was possibly a veiled reference to accepting swingers and those who believe in better living through chemistry.

Maybe I was kind of right, at least on my first point. After doing some more googling, I've found that there is a vanguard trying to push for acceptance of polyamory in the UUA, but apparently they're a barely accepted avant-garde among UU's even in the most liberal areas of the USA.

Here are some links:

http://www.uupa.org/Literature/LiberalReligion.htm

http://www.uucorvallis.org/sermons/05_0508--From%20Abstinence%20to%20Polyamory.htm

http://www.surviveandthriveboston.com/2009/12/polyamorous-community-seeks-mo.html

http://www.philocrites.com/archives/003618.html

That makes sense. I posted the definition of the noun form and still didn't get it right! :HaHa: I thought it meant what mood you were in. Like having a bad disposition. Yours makes much more sense. :Doh:

This sounds like the kind of UU church I might like to attend. I'm guessing there's so much variation from one UU congregation to the next, though, I would be on shaky ground assuming that the UU church in my town is like the one you attend.

I did donate a little, but I won't become a member because I'm afraid they would expect so much out of me and I just don't have any left over after I pay my bills. I also don't go pick up trash...I'm not a very good UU. :D

What I suspect is meant that they won't judge their members who are into "alternative lifestyles," shall we say. In other words, I suspected that this was possibly a veiled reference to accepting swingers and those who believe in better living through chemistry.

That makes sense. I posted the definition of the noun form and still didn't get it right! :HaHa: I thought it meant what mood you were in. Like having a bad disposition. Yours makes much more sense. :Doh:

Ah, and I forgot to mention those people who are disposed to being nudists! Probably also should include people covered with tattoos and piercings, too.

Does this also include fetishes?

• 2 weeks later...

Does this also include fetishes?

Well, to bring up the following link AGAIN:

It talks about "the kink community" seeking acceptance in the UUA, so I would presume that that includes fetishes!

I went to the local Unitarian Universalist Church last Sunday with my wife. I was pleasantly surprized. There is the familiarity of the music, the singing, the preaching, and the general surroundings. It reminds me of the Episcopalian church I attended growing up, but there was no place to kneel. They kneel to nothing and no one.

The differences were wonderful though. The Doxology had no god-talk, the music for "Onward Christian Soldiers" was entirely secular. The sermon dealt with "endings and beginnings" without talk of heaven or hell.

Somehow they have managed to balance several religions while offending none (to my way of thinking).

My wife liked it too, so we may become regular members. Getting involved in group activities might be an interesting diversion.

Praise be! (but without saying what to praise...)