Goodbye Jesus

If There Was An Afterlife

Dibllsmek

An afterlife that no religion teaches, one that no-one could ever know. How would you want it.

I'm not sure about anything, I'm not sure there is/are God(s), I don't know if there is an afterlife, and It doesn't bother me.

If there was one, I'd like it to be almost like this life. No "ultimate perfection/torture" just with the ups and downs of this life, except we retain knowledge of our past life, there would be ups and downs, right and wrong, crimes, and everyone would go there, not just the "righteous ones".

This is why I'm agnostic, I'm not sure about anything, maybe the soul/god/afterlife exists, maybe it doesn't. I don't let it bother me. I'm open to all possibilities. I don't let it bother me much. I (may) have only one life and I live it how I want.

If there was an afterlife, how would you want it?

I think I would like an afterlife much like this one, but where anything could be accomplished through hard work and ingenuity. One where I had better self control, drive, focus, and much better mental capacity. A life where physics allowed for anything. A life where travel through the cosmos wasn't impossible. Even then, I still think that it should all still require hard work, both mental and physical.

Oh yeah, and sex... Lots and lots of sex... with really hot smart women.

I think I would like an afterlife much like this one, but where anything could be accomplished through hard work and ingenuity. One where I had better self control, drive, focus, and much better mental capacity. A life where physics allowed for anything. A life where travel through the cosmos wasn't impossible. Even then, I still think that it should all still require hard work, both mental and physical.

Oh yeah, and sex... Lots and lots of sex... with really hot smart women.

You sir, took the words right out of my mouth. This is a better explanation of what I want.

Your question is a valid one but made me think of this quote.

What time has been wasted during man's destiny in the struggle to decide what man's next world will be like! The keener the effort to find out, the less he knew about the present one he lived in.

-- Sean O'Casey

Anything with memory of my present life.

Or maybe not.

I'd get answers to questions such as "How did the universe begin?" (I think the biggest bummer about contemplating death is that I know it will happen before we humans have the "answers" - like having a power outage strike just before the end of a really good movie on TV.)

Also, time travel would be possible so that we could witness first-hand any event in history.

Plus, we'd be able to create and live out any fantasy - like the Holodeck on Star Trek.

But, I don't think I'd want it to be eternal. Eventually, after a few hundred or million years, I'd get bored. So there should be a gentle, painless way to shut this after-life down ... or at least go into hibernation until something interesting comes along.

An afterlife that no religion teaches, one that no-one could ever know. How would you want it.

My first requirement would be, I would want a full explanation of the exact deal before agreeing to it. Otherwise I would want the option of permanent oblivion.

To agree to participate in an afterlife I would want full memory of my life on earth, as well as any prior lives, clear responsibilities, sufficient resources AND authority to carry out these responsibilities.

No more sickness. Immortality would be nice but only if there's enough to hold one's interest indefinitely; it appears to me that in this life, immortality would be a royal bore beyond a certain point. So one could die (peacefully and painlessly and with dignity) of some version of old age, maybe from accidents borne of carelessness or poor choices -- or just because one is tired of living; but I would want to know what the NEXT afterlife would consist of -- the better to judge the risks I might take and choices I might make.

All of that sounds like a lot, but I'm still allowing for the hell that is Other People, foibles and all. I'm still willing to work hard and have responsibilities, as long as it's meaningful / purposeful to me. I just don't want to fight blindfolded anymore and I don't want to waste time or incur suffering due to making dumb choices because of insufficient or incorrect data about the True Nature of Things ™.

As for the idea of plenty of sex, that'd be mighty fine too, but as a practical matter, I'm not sure that's compatible with the free will of others. Maybe what the other poster is really asking for is for women and men to be more consistently / sustainably / intuitively comprehensible and appealing to each other. Something in the intergender dynamic in this life is just too frigging dysfunctional when it comes to intimacy and romance. Way too much work, and would not at all be worth the effort were it not for that annoying sex drive and the need for companionship thrown in there.

I guess that basically I'm asking for life to be a comprehensible, rational proposition that a sane person could actually agree to, if in possession of all the necessary facts. The essential problem with THIS life is that you are dropped, without apparent choice in the matter, into some random family / socioeconomic situation, with a blank slate of a mind and all sorts of false information on offer, often from those who should be the most trustworthy, and with all sorts of actors in your life who will take advantage of your innocence / ignorance and it's hard to tell them from the good guys without a fair bit of practice. Even under ideal circumstances you work with approximations of understanding, fighting exhaustion and frustration at every turn.

I keep on putting up with this because I'm too curious for my own good, and perhaps too cussed to be thought a quitter.

If there were an afterlife, I would love to see my brother again. He died at the age of 24 in 1998. It has been over ten years, but the pain is still there.

If there were an afterlife, I would love to see my brother again. He died at the age of 24 in 1998. It has been over ten years, but the pain is still there.

One of the most painful aspects of my deconversion was the realization that I wouldn't ever see my mother again. You can't imagine how painful that was; but it was the only reaasonable conclusion once everything else went.

I suppose if I were religious I would have been worried about her going to hell, so I suspect oblivion beats that.

I truly hope there is an afterlife. Really, I want the afterlife to be just like this world, or the one like in The Lovely Bones.

Nah, I actually, I want the afterlife to be being reborn in the Pokemon world. Yup.

I truly hope there is an afterlife. Really, I want the afterlife to be just like this world, or the one like in The Lovely Bones.

Nah, I actually, I want the afterlife to be being reborn in the Pokemon world. Yup.

Ah another pokemon fan. I've played every game since red and blue. My favorite is the original gold & silver. Anyway, the pokemon world thats portrayed in the anime seems like it would be to childish. Maybe if it was more in depth than the worst thing that can happen is you loose a match. Now, if there was relationships :wicked: , death, depression, etc. then it would be more livable.

Ah another pokemon fan. I've played every game since red and blue. My favorite is the original gold & silver. Anyway, the pokemon world thats portrayed in the anime seems like it would be to childish. Maybe if it was more in depth than the worst thing that can happen is you loose a match. Now, if there was relationships :wicked: , death, depression, etc. then it would be more livable.

>:D Have you read the Pokemon manga? Pokemon Special and The Electric Tale of Pikachu? In Special, the Pokemon actually die (blasting an Onix to bits), attack trainers, and in the latter there was a few sexual references I believe.

That's heaven right there. All that sparkly rainbow happiness in the anime is more like hell to me.

>:D Have you read the Pokemon manga? Pokemon Special and The Electric Tale of Pikachu? In Special, the Pokemon actually die (blasting an Onix to bits), attack trainers, and in the latter there was a few sexual references I believe.

That's heaven right there. All that sparkly rainbow happiness in the anime is more like hell to me.

I have read the first 20 chapters of special, and I do remember onix getting turned into a bunch of boulders. I think I also remember where team rocket forced a rhyhorn to evolve by injecting it with some kind of poke-steroids.

I want my afterlife to be in a desolate town where the buildings are falling apart and fog floods the streets. Basically, Silent Hill.

I want my afterlife to be in a desolate town where the buildings are falling apart and fog floods the streets. Basically, Silent Hill.

No offense, but you seem to have a very morbid personality.

The ideal afterlife would be to be Godhead. Why settle for less?

If I had to create the ultimate afterlife, it would be akin to a perfect lucid dream. You would have total control, if you so desire. Or perhaps you like leaving things up to chance. You could go to any setting you wish, changing the setting or the details at any time. If you want to do something meaningful, you can. If you want to spend your days having perfect sex for eternity, you can. If you want to live forever, you can. If you want to die and cease to exist, you can. If you want multiple lives, you can do that, too.

No offense, but you seem to have a very morbid personality.

Ya think? :HaHa: I very much am very morbid.

Afterlife? Hell! I need a life first!

I really like Terry Pratchett's the Disk world idea of the after life, basically whatever you imagine is what you get so those who believe they'll get 100 sexy virgins get them, those who think they'll go to heaven on a cloud do so and those who don't believe there's anything don't have an afterlife.

I will love you forever just because you said this. :D

I agree with a couple people on this thread; I would definitely want the option of total oblivion after a couple thousand years.

Other than that, I would want a world with every person who ever lived. I would love to have conversations with C.S. Lewis, Socrates, Plato, even people like Jeffery Dahmer and Charles Manson. I would want a world so filled with breathtaking beauty that I couldn't help but stare at every new thing I saw. I would definitely want a world with animals that have died. I would love to be able to fly and breathe underwater and just explore the beauty.

Oh, and sex. Lots and lots of great sex. xD

I have high expectations for the next life.... to bad I don't believe in one. xD

Maybe an afterlife without sickness and disease- where you live for as long as you wish to in perpetual vitality. And the ability to explore the cosmos in a timely fashion would be amazing. I'd want to watch a star be born up close.

I'd also want to kick-start life on a planet, and sit-back and watch it grow and evolve- where it would seem only minutes being thousands of years.

And be able to listen to all the good music in the universe. And endless libraries. Endless art galleries. All the information of the world available at your fingertips. Yet everyone would have empathy: with this, there would be no needless violence or crime or hurt.

Some good sex sounds nice, too... Since everyone is saying that right now. lol. Except every guy would be handsome and extremely romantic.

And is it too much to ask for no more embarrassing bodily functions?

But what is an afterlife but a hope for a better life...

An infinite capacity to enjoy pleasure and an infinite amount of pleasure available. Pleasure here being anything really: games, music, arts, sport et cetera.

"I truly hope there is an afterlife." An everlasting rest from consciousness.