Goodbye Jesus

Commercial Trade In Spirituality

Deva

regardless to how it was phrased, it is still a good question to put to such a mind.

Do you think thoughts of revenge are incompatible with the enlightened mind?

That's right -- and we are manipulated constantly to buy more and more useless stuff.

Actually, I went to a garage-sale today (sometimes me and my mom go out to do so; it's retail therapy), and I found a large beautiful 70's-80's created Buddha Lamp that lacked the bulb and shade. I got a kick out of it, and really it's well-done, heavy-duty material. I bought it for $10 (I made an offer) and am looking forward to fixing it up- has a couple of chips in the material, and I plan to fix and touch it up. We might rewire it, too, so it works again. My mom is actually helping me fix it up, too. She'll help me rewire it. I'll be doing the cosmetic fixing.

The thing is probably 15-20 lbs and 2 feet tall. Even if I can't get it working as a lamp again, it's a very beautiful statue. And if I don't bring it to my first apartment, I'll give it as a gift to my Buddhist cousin (He'll get a kick out of it)

Haha, I just find it funny this is what we were just talking about and I go ahead and buy a Buddha lamp as a small fixer-upper project. (Cheap, mind you. But it'll probably cost me 10-15 dollars to fix it overall, depends on the work I want to do)

regardless to how it was phrased, it is still a good question to put to such a mind.

Well, that is certainly an interesting turn.

My experience is that the less I cling (perhaps "am able to cling") to anger and thoughts of self being offended, the less such ideas enter my head. It's not so much an issue of incompatibility with my mind as much as it is a result of how events that would trigger such responses are processed. Not to say that I don't get angry or offended, it is just easier to identify what gives rise to it.

A super-enlightened mind may offer a different answer. :)

Haha, I just find it funny this is what we were just talking about and I go ahead and buy a Buddha lamp as a small fixer-upper project. (Cheap, mind you. But it'll probably cost me 10-15 dollars to fix it overall, depends on the work I want to do)

there is a lesson in there somewhere...

The conversation as it applies to the whole Dharma thing reminds me of the song "Baba" by Alanis Morrisette. It's a pretty good rant against superficial Eastern spirituality, which can be applied to any spirituality.

I guess I sort of feel like Martin Luther when it comes to this issue. What really got him ticked off was the Catholic Church selling indulgences.

I suppose in that regard I am still a true Protestant at heart!

I shitcanned Buddhism in part because I seen it as little different that Christian churches. Temples and monks want money. They sell everything under the sun to make a profit. And it wasn't just in the US, it was the same way in Korea, and I suspect probably everywhere. Just another way to rob the faithful of money and enrich their own coffers and fill their temples with expensive artwork.

I do not practice any elements of Buddhism nor do I consider myself as being remotely enlightened (actually, in my opinion, calling oneself enlightened just demonstrates arrogance and thus still be immature) but my experience has shown that the more mature (enlightened) people would pity rather than wish for revenge. When one is unwilling to look outside of their own sphere and see how other people live and think, then they have a much harder time getting along with society at large because they are still stuck in their own person--most of the time, these are the ones who would seek revenge.

I shitcanned Buddhism in part because I seen it as little different that Christian churches. Temples and monks want money. They sell everything under the sun to make a profit. And it wasn't just in the US, it was the same way in Korea, and I suspect probably everywhere. Just another way to rob the faithful of money and enrich their own coffers and fill their temples with expensive artwork.

I don't blame anyone for being completely disgusted by this commercialization and spirituality for sale.

I have not "shitcanned" it yet myself because I still find things of value in it aesthetically, and in the teachings. However, to stick with it one certainly must overlook or get past a lot, especially having shitcanned another religion that pretty much does the same things.

I am glad you posted this Vix. I never quite understood the reason for your opposition before.

A master's handiwork cannot be measured

But still priests wag their tongues explaining the "Way" and babbling about "Zen."

This old monk has never cared for false piety

And my nose wrinkles at the dark smell of incense before the Buddha.

~Ikkyu Sojun 1354-1481

Seemed appropriate

But there was something very nice about sneaking out at night and walking to the park on the full moon to simply be alone outside under the stars. Just me and the universe. I think thats the saddest part of all, that when a person does buy the new age music, incense burners, statues, chalices, pentacles, robes, wands, crystals etc etc, that the essence of the spirituality they were striving for has been cut off. Its now more like a play.

Yes! When that connection of "just me and the universe" is missing, it doesn't matter what religion it is, the spark is gone.

There are a lot of things that can be used to set the mood, like incense, candles, essential oils, music, and so on. In New Age thought, they each have vibrations that are supposed to have certain results by using them. For me they are just nice smells, and relaxing sounds. In order to have those items, someone had to harvest the materials and package them, so I'm happy they did. In one sense that is playing into a marketing scheme, but I don't have to buy why they are selling them to enjoy them as I wish. I'm not trying to buy spirituality in a bottle, just things that are conducive to relaxation and meditation. Spirituality will always come down to me and the universe, a kind of "total perspective vortex", to borrow a term from the Hitchhiker's Guide.

Holosync is gross with the marketing. I spent $150 for the basic CD and started getting gaudy mailings galore, and I still get them years later. Its a rip-off. The Monroe Institute's Hemi-Sync CDs are only about $20, and Jeffrey Thompson's are about $12. Or you can just listen to the plethora of binaural beats that are found on the internet, free.

A better thing to do is just buy a book full of quotes from wise people and make your own path.

there is a lesson in there somewhere...

The relaxing activity of mending something with your own hands?

I seriously enjoy the idea of fixing things lately. I've been mending all sorts of things: jewelry, clothes, now a lamp. It's relaxing, really.

The relaxing activity of mending something with your own hands?

I seriously enjoy the idea of fixing things lately. I've been mending all sorts of things: jewelry, clothes, now a lamp. It's relaxing, really.

I was thinking in metaphors of slightly damaged buddhas or repairing one's lamp, but that works too.

I think that was an absolutely beautiful exchange between Ancey and Rev R. Just beautiful.

I was thinking in metaphors of slightly damaged buddhas or repairing one's lamp, but that works too.

Aaah, I get it now. I'm fixing the light on Buddha's head. Eventually, his head will be 'enlightened'.

I was sort of thinking the same thing when I picked it up. haha, puns are fun. (I take it as a pun, but it works as a good metaphor, too)

I also have to fix his hand, too. A large chip is in his thumb.

I'm fixing the light on Buddha's head.

aren't we all...;)

There's nothing more meditative than working on an object; it takes you out of your sphere.

• 3 weeks later...
I am not really referring to necklaces, small trinkets, and books. There is nothing wrong with beautiful, well made items or having an altar and putting these things in your house.

I guess I am talking about buying items that attempt to show in public that you have some exalted level of enlightenment or something. Fancy clothing, prayer shawls, fancy malas, book holders, whipping out small gold statues of deities at the public recitations, all kinds of other stuff for an outward show.

On the other hand, generating more props to promote a "continuum" may not be all bad. But it does irk the purist, and a person who is mainly interested in the essentials of their views and beliefs, since it can get to a point where it's a little banal.

I guess it matters whether it's a sincere adornment or just being a bit "trendy".

I actually have a "healing crystal" I bought for ten bucks at one of those fairs; I like the way it refracts the light.