Goodbye Jesus

New kitten! Need help!

pandora

My husband is supposedly bringing home a five week old kitten. The mother got hit by a car. It is our second wedding anniversary today... lol whatever. He was just saying the other day how we don't need anymore cats (we have three!).

Anyway, supposedly the kitten can eat solid food. Is there anything I should know for a five week old kitten? I have never taken care of one that young!

don't let your other cats at it or they will probably kill it.

A hot water bottle and ticking alarm clock to remind it of its mother. Buy some special kitty milk too, and Biggles is right, don't let the other cats near it.

Guest Challenger

Hold him a lot and get him used to you. He will likely be missing his mommy.

Oh, and post a picture of him, if you can.

If it's a male, I think Biggles7268 is the name for it! :grin:

Keep the little one and it's "stuff" (litter box, food, water) in a spare room or something. Preferrably a room that doesn't have deep carpet pile (hopefully one not claimed by your most "dominant" cat). The crack under the door is going to be your introduction tool for the other cats in the house.

Don't let your other cats in the room, but don't discourage their curiosity when you find them sniffing at the door. Praise their curiosity. Give them treats for it, whatever works for the cats already established in the house.

After a week, pick a "neutral" room (not staked out by your "dominant"), put the kitten in a kitty carrier in the middle of the room. Go about your normal business (don't "coo" over the cute kitten in front of the other cats!), but keep watch out the corner of your eye as your cats check out the kitten.

Go by feel. When everything seems to be going well, start rubbing a lightly damp washcloth on the cheeks and tailbone areas of ALL your cats (these are the scent markers). Mix the scents good (might be good to start this activity NOW to get your older cats used to it). After you've rubbed everyone, rub the cloth all over the kitten's body. You could easily start doing this before the initial kitty carrier "introduction" so the kitten "smells" like all the other cats from the get-go. Do the washcloth rub thing at least once a day if possible.

At some point, you'll just have to cross your fingers and allow the kitten and your cats to spend unprotected time together. Let each of your older cats spend time with the kitten in the "kitten's" room. Don't overwhelm the kitten by having them all in there at once. Also, one at a time, you can get a feel for how each of your cat's feels about the kitten.

As long as the kitten doesn't get any more attention as the other cats when they are in the same room, things should go fine. Now is a great time for all the cats to get extra love and praise!

Hope it goes well.

A kitten you say? Well, they're much easier to stuff into bags than the adult variety. :Dr evil:

Doh! Did I type that out loud? :homer:

spamandham...the ultimate animal lover. mmmm, animals... :mouth slobbering:

geeze, just kidding around

Siren002.jpg

Siren001.jpg

Here she is! Her name is Siren for now. I am open to ideas because we haven't really officially named her yet. In fact, I announce a contest! Whoever picks the winning name gets their name written in the Book of Life! :HaHa:

Aw... sweet. It looks just like my first cat did.

:starts getting all nostalgic:

How about calling it Winx, in honour of my first cat? (you know how cats have that habit of winking at you...)

Aww, she's adorable. I best be careful my cat doesn't see me fawning over those pictures, she might get jealous. ;)

I nominate Killer for the name. Don't ask for a reason, if I ever had one it's long since been lost to the mists of time. It's simply become tradition that my first suggestion for a new pet's name always be "Killer."

She is adorable!!

:wub::wub::wub:

I dunno, something about that top picture....

I think you should name her "Wren"!

She kinda looks like one.

http://www.richardayres.net/wildlife/wren.jpg

I am liking Wren and Winx thus far... but she hasn't responded to anything yet.

My husband suggests we name her officially "Siren" and then "Wren" for short. He likes Siren because she meowed all the way home like a siren and she also stole his heart because she was so beautiful (ok, cute... same diff).

Whaddyall think?

Ooooh, wook at da cute widdle kitty, so cute, what a widdle pweshus....

*clears throat*

Okay, the baby babbling officially over, I'm thinking.

Personally, I like Queenie for a female cat, but that's because most female cats are queens. Or at least they think they are. There's also Empress, or Duchess.

But that's me. Of course, our four cats are named as follows:

Oldest, the 25 pound (and it's muscle, not fat) black cat - Beat.

Second Oldest, the ball of fluff that looks like she weighs a lot but weighs maybe six pounds - Macy

Third Oldest, the first orange stripedy kitty, and a one-girl kitty (she claims our daughter as HER person) - Ginger

Youngest Cat, the last orange stripedy kitty, friendly boy who thinks he's a dog - C.J.

And the dogs? It gets better.

Oldest Dog, Lab/Dobie mix female, sweet doggie - Onyx (we did NOT name her, she came to us named already)

New Puppy, Rat terrier/Pug mix, male, bouncy hyperactive ball of energy - Curry.

And to top that off, we have four tree frogs. Frog Shui, Lily (yeah, I know), Grissom (because he shares the same fascination with bugs as CSI's Gil Grissom), and Ting-Tang (if we'd gotten five at once, they would have been Ooh-Eee, Ooh-Ahh-Ahh, Ting-Tang, Walla-Walla, and Bing-Bang. Yep, we have listened to that song a few too many times).

But she's a cute little baby, nonetheless, but you may not want to let ME name her, LOL!

I am liking Wren and Winx thus far... but she hasn't responded to anything yet. 

My husband suggests we name her officially "Siren" and then "Wren" for short.  He likes Siren because she meowed all the way home like a siren and she also stole his heart because she was so beautiful (ok, cute... same diff). 

Whaddyall think?

Professor Snugglesworth!!

When I was a kid we had a little dog that we called Dink.

Prof. Snugglesworth is way too long, sorry! ;)

She already peed in the litter box... which impresses me since she is only five weeks old.

She is very sweet, isn't afraid of people (which is sometimes a problem when one picks up a "free kitten). She cries when we leave the room... poor baby. She had fleas, but I have bathed her and flea-combed her, and I seem to have gotten most of them. She is in quarantine from my other cats until we get a clean bill of health.

Here are my pets' names--

Godiva-- Burmese. Sable/chocolate brown. Definitely the queen and a diva. Very affectionate.

Sneakers-- cute little unfolded Scottish Fold, Grey and very fluffy. Only 4.5 lbs and fully grown! She's very small. She's a goofball and gives me purrs everynight before I fall asleep.

Bandit-- black and white alley cat. 100% cat... very independent, she patrols the house and always checks out strangers.

Odo-- my dusky conure. See my avatar. He's affectionate and goofy. Wolfwhistles and says "pretty bird." He likes to make fun of human speech by garbling and chattering while we are on the phone.

Pandora-- my whiteface grey cockatiel. Sweet as can be, but stupid and afraid of everything that she hasn't seen before.

Izzy- Male pied cockatiel. Clumsy. Loves to sing and wolfwhistle.

Nemo, Owlette, Stormy, Easter, Kiwi, Limone-- my budgies. Not very tame, but colorful and a lot of fun to watch.

As you can see, I am not very good at naming pets... sometimes I think of a good one, but a lot of times I fall back on the "obvious" name or something really simple. This is why I am looking for the perfect name.

I don't like Siren too much... doesn't roll off my tongue very well. Plus, it is hard to look at a wee kitten and imagine "Siren" suiting her. LOL

Any more ideas? Maybe something ex-Christian related? Who knows... I am so bad at this!!

Prof. Snugglesworth is way too long, sorry! ;)

Yes, well I have FOUR names...but I shorten it, and call myself Josh.

So with Professor Snugglesworth, you could call him the Prof, or Snuggie, or Snug.

How about KC?

Short for Kittycat.

or

XC for Exchristian

He/She looks identical to our cat Tiger when he was young.

How about "Miss Lucky Mew Mew"

........kidding

I have a kitten who's mama was hit by a car, but he was maybe a week old at the time. I dubbed him "Sir Lucky Mew Mew" until I settled on his real name...... Werndt.

I named him that cuz "He was real lucky, but his mama weren't."

:HaHa:

Toys-- lots of cat toys. Pet and play often!

She is utterly perfect. Our kitten's name is Carryout. The adults are Hover and Yowlie.

As Carryout grew and explored the house, she did have the temporary nickname of Princess Destructo.

Hmm... nothing seems perfect yet.... hubby is pushing for Siren. I want a mouse name because her face is sooo mouselike. She even rubs her mouth like a mouse while she stand on her hind legs. (You can't really tell from the pic though.)

I am beginning to wonder if I should worry because she is sooooo lazy... she plays, but only in one spot. She is happiest (not whining) when she is sitting next to me or by the computer screen as I type. Most kittens I have known run around the house/room like a tornado, but this little girl is pretty stationary. For being an outside cat, she seems very socialized, or at least not afraid of humans. She didn't know to hiss back at one of my other cats, though... she just sat there and looked at me like "what the heck does SHE think she's doing???"

Is there anything I should be concerned about? I am not a newbie to cats, just to little ones like this. :)

How about Petrushka? :grin: