Goodbye Jesus

Author Phil Pullman bashes Narnia

Asimov

I for one found the narnia books extremely boring. I think i read a few back in middle school and was totally bored by them. I do think I will see the movie, it looks very well done and hopefully develops the story better than the book (and love the background music!).

I think one of the main reasons I disliked the books so much was all the xtian allusions I spotted. I had just stopped believing back in the sixth grade and i guess it just irritated me.

Seriously dude...why do you take my posts so seriously if I'm just an arrogant jackass prevert!?

:HaHa:

Because I like picking at arrogant jackass perverts :P

*pick, pick, pick* See? :HaHa:

But then here comes along this Mr. Pullman, who looks like a total Assclown and says that the Narnia books contain

""a peevish blend of racist, misogynistic and reactionary prejudice" and "not a trace" of Christian charity.

I got into Narnia about the same time I got into Middle-earth, not knowing that they were written essentially as counterexamples. Quite honestly, I don't think there's any more racism or misogyny in one than in the other- both were written by English men of the early twentieth century, and they both reflect a measure of the cultural prejudices that Lewis and Tolkien took for granted. There's nothing too obvious, certainly nothing that I could see anyone take umbrage over.

But the biggest difference between the two is the overhanded way Lewis used Christian allegory. Tolkien took him to task over that fact, and it spawned many arguments between the two. Personally, after reading the Last Battle I was left with a sour taste in my mouth, and I've never felt interested in returning to the series since, in any form. It's in the final installment of the series that I think Lewis went more than a little over the line in pushing his Christian agenda, and the entire plot suffers for it.

But that's just one man's opinion.

I got into Narnia about the same time I got into Middle-earth, not knowing that they were written essentially as counterexamples. Quite honestly, I don't think there's any more racism or misogyny in one than in the other- both were written by English men of the early twentieth century, and they both reflect a measure of the cultural prejudices that Lewis and Tolkien took for granted. There's nothing too obvious, certainly nothing that I could see anyone take umbrage over.

But the biggest difference between the two is the overhanded way Lewis used Christian allegory. Tolkien took him to task over that fact, and it spawned many arguments between the two. Personally, after reading the Last Battle I was left with a sour taste in my mouth, and I've never felt interested in returning to the series since, in any form. It's in the final installment of the series that I think Lewis went more than a little over the line in pushing his Christian agenda, and the entire plot suffers for it.

But that's just one man's opinion.

It's been a few years since I've read it, so I can only remember certain Christian themes in some of the books (such as Aslan). I'll have to read them again and do a book report.

Currently I'm reading Book 11 of the Wheel of Time, so I'll do the Narnia thing later.

Currently I'm reading Book 11 of the Wheel of Time

Then your constitution vastly supersedes mine. I could only make it through Book 6.

• 1 month later...

Seen the film and really enjoyed it. I cant stand the condemnations like the ones by Pullman and http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/ch...1657756,00.html

From what I saw the film contained non of the pro-life, anti-gay themes that would make the film a fundy preachfest, it just told the Christian story in a subtle and stomachable way. I enjoyed it and rants like these just show that there are irrational emotional idiots of both sides of the belief fence.

Yes I dont like the Christian right peddling this film with the hope that it will subliminally implant the christian message in peoples minds. I would much prefer the honest upfront approach of where they state their intent in giving away free tickets, but this film is not that bad at all.

I liked the books when I was younger (during the period of

my life when I was a christian). I wasn't really blown away

by them, however, not the way I was blown away by

Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.