Goodbye Jesus

How Old Were You When You De-converted?

Guest MadameX

I am going to be 45 this year. Until I was 44, I didn't consider myself an atheist but the process was slow. For some reason, I held onto my belief with all my might and refused to let go, even when my religion made no sense to me. I really didn't want to deconvert.

25 when I officially deconverted, but for the ten years before that, my belief had been a cultural belief as a result of being unable to extricate myself from the religious environment I grew up in, and not a personal belief. Since my age range was 21-25, I want to add that my deconversion had almost nothing to do with college or being away from home.

Had serious questions around 14, and slipped out of christianity from 15-16. It wasn't until I was nearly 17 that I got the guts to completely deny any form of Abrahamic god at all. Haven't looked back.

I am 26. And just started a few months ago to question things.

Stopped attending church when I left for college at 18, and felt like an idiot every time I went when I came home. Started really questioning when I was 21 and went agnostic within 2 years of that. Took a world religions class and "officially" went atheist at 25. Couldn't keep lying to myself to make me feel better about dying.

47 when I realized that my view of xtianity was going to require me to get stronger rose-colored glasses if I were to stay in. It felt good to shed those glasses and I saw that the world was absolutely amazing without them!

35, after 20 years of desperately trying to ignore my ever-increasing doubts

17 years old realized I was an atheist. Pretty much questioning from 15 or 16, though.

I'll probably officially De-convert from my church at 21 or so. I mean, I'll be nice enough, since they gave me a scholarship. :shrug:

Four days before I turned 47.