Goodbye Jesus

I Think I Have Azpergers

lostman42

I don't know how to talk to, get along with, or approach people. I've always felt like I'm apart of a different species and this has been a big contributing factor to my depression.

There are select few friends that I have that I don't feel awkward talking to(like 3 people). When I'm with them I almost feel normal.

At work and school I'm always quite and hardly talk because I don't understand what normal people talk about. I've always been this way and I probably always will.

Its not that I don't like people, I just don't know how to be one of them and in a way I'm afraid of them. I'm afraid ill be hurt or rejected like usual.

Does anybody think I could have azpergers? I probably won't talk to a doctor about it because there's not really anything they can do.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Do you think you have Asperger's? If you think you do, then you probably do.

Could be about ten different things. You could also just be an extreme introvert. Have you sat down and really sorted through why you feel the way you do about people? You may be a gifted person who doesn't like small talk, not everyone is a screaming extrovert. If you have been the subject of bullying and ridicule no wonder you avoid people. No point continually putting your hand in the fire. I have always preferred books over people, they don't hurt you, dis you or leave you feeling like shit :)

• Like 2

I'm afraid ill be hurt or rejected

Look into Avoidant Personality Disorder. Aspergers is more about feeling you don't have the skills to socialize, as far as I understand. Could be both, or any number of things. But it sounds like you could have APD.

@ flockoff

Wow I looked up Avoidant Personality Disorder and it describes me perfectly.

Here's some things that I think led me to be this way.

- My parents always treated my sister better when we were little. She was their little angel and they constantly showered her with approval but I was largely ignored.

- My tourettes syndrome. Teachers(mostly substitutes) and classmates treated me like a freak because of it. One teacher would make the entire class miss recess because I couldn't stop making strange noises.

- My family moved a lot for the first 12 years of my life (to start churches) so when ever I made friends I always had to leave them and start over.

- I was really fat during most of elementary school and was made fun of for it. I lost weight around 5th grade.

I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you guys.

Aspergers is quite complex I think and often people who display or tick some but not all of the boxes can be missed out when it comes to a diagnosis but still struggle with it through school and obviously on into adult life. My husband struggles with social interaction and knowing how to communicate effectively but because he appears quite confident and outgoing it's never really been looked into properly. However over the ast few years he has slowly dipped further and further into depression and his social interaction has become more and more negative. I've had ideas and labels thrown at me by various people - clinical depression, bi-polar, ADHD being the main ones. No one has ever mentioned aspergers.... until last week.

So I had a look around online and found THIS it's not a real diagnostic of course but it was a real eye-opener for me. One thing that was certain was I am in no way autistic - I did it for myself! But then I answered it for my husband and then he did the same and we both came out with the exact same score for him. Even if you and he do not have aspergers I found this helpful just for understanding elements of his personality and behaviour that has made me feel more comfortable in responding to him appropriately. Perhaps it will do the same for you?

• Super Moderator
I probably won't talk to a doctor about it because there's not really anything they can do.

Yes, there is.

There is a good chance you have some sort of treatable condition (drugs and/or therapy) and if you are really suffering from it in some way, a professional diagnosis is called for.

• Like 3

@ florduh

Ill probably see a professional about it once I'm 18 and out of the house. My parents would go way overboard with this and hold what ever I have against me.

@ florduh

Ill probably see a professional about it once I'm 18 and out of the house. My parents would go way overboard with this and hold what ever I have against me.

What a bunch of cunts.

Life gets so much better when you get your own place. See if one of your friends needs a roommate. A good live in relationship with someone you trust can be a good way to help get over SAD.

@ noggy

In a few months my best friend will turn 18 and then me and him both are gonna try to get an apartment together. I look forward to being on my own very much.

@ noggy

In a few months my best friend will turn 18 and then me and him both are gonna try to get an apartment together. I look forward to being on my own very much.

Yeah. It's the best. High School is the worst time of your life. Because you're old enough to make your own decisions but society tells you to STFU and obey the same rules you had when you were 6.

• Super Moderator

I'd be quite thrilled to be a 16 year old high school student again. If any of you are under the impression it gets better as you age........

• Like 1

I'd be quite thrilled to be a 16 year old high school student again. If any of you are under the impression it gets better as you age........

Baha. Well. Being 20 is WAY better than being 16. I can't speak for farther up the hill, though.

Baha. Well. Being 20 is WAY better than being 16. I can't speak for farther up the hill, though.

florduh's right boys! :twitch:hang on for the ride of your life!! :grin: you'll be fine - we oldies made it - you will too!

There are free therapy resourses through your local autisim organizations, for minors.You need to research your local autisim foundations for them and support groups. Don't cheat yourself out of any more of your life!

• Like 1

Does anybody think I could have Aspergers?

Possible but unlikely.

You sound to me like an introverted teen who is just getting to know yourself.

Three friends is a perfectly adequate number. What most people call "friends" are actually casual acquaintances with whom they have broad, but not deep, relationships. So that kid you admire who has a dozen people following them around, probably has no more actual friends than you do, if you define a friend as someone who actually knows and cares about you. Indeed, they may have no actual friends at all.

@ noggy

Yeah. It's the best. High School is the worst time of your life. Because you're old enough to make your own decisions but society tells you to STFU and obey the same rules you had when you were 6.

Some high school students are "old enough" (maturity is really the salient charcteristic here) to make their own decisions. Many are not. As a high school teacher, I have collected lots of data with regard to the decision-making prowess of the American teenager, and it's not a pretty picture.

• Like 1

Noggy....don't let it hold you back....there was an American Idol finalist who has a mild form of Aspergers Syndrome. James Durbin, he made it to #4 and he was excellent. http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=13591151

If he can be a success at what he does...I KNOW you can.

Baha, I'm not the one with assburgers.

@ noggy

Some high school students are "old enough" (maturity is really the salient charcteristic here) to make their own decisions. Many are not. As a high school teacher, I have collected lots of data with regard to the decision-making prowess of the American teenager, and it's not a pretty picture.

Hmmm...I guess that's why home schooling students do better.... :grin:

You seem to be confused about causality. Homeschooled students do better because of high parental involvement and expectations, the same reason my children are doing well in public schools.

• Like 3

I'm 100 percent sure that I have avoidant personality disorder now. I've been researching it a lot and I match every description and have all the symptoms. You have to be 18 to be diagnosed with it though.

From what I've heard, introverts prefer to be alone but I desperately want to be with people. I'm just too afraid of rejection and criticism. I can only open up to people if I'm positive that they'll accept me and I'm always worrying about being disliked by others.

I think my son might have aspergers. There is a really good quiz here:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

My son scored high. He is a young adult and I would like to have him tested. I'm scared to too because I don't want them to tell me he doesn;t have it. :)

Aspergers is quite complex I think and often people who display or tick some but not all of the boxes can be missed out when it comes to a diagnosis but still struggle with it through school and obviously on into adult life. My husband struggles with social interaction and knowing how to communicate effectively but because he appears quite confident and outgoing it's never really been looked into properly. However over the ast few years he has slowly dipped further and further into depression and his social interaction has become more and more negative. I've had ideas and labels thrown at me by various people - clinical depression, bi-polar, ADHD being the main ones. No one has ever mentioned aspergers.... until last week.

So I had a look around online and found THIS it's not a real diagnostic of course but it was a real eye-opener for me. One thing that was certain was I am in no way autistic - I did it for myself! But then I answered it for my husband and then he did the same and we both came out with the exact same score for him. Even if you and he do not have aspergers I found this helpful just for understanding elements of his personality and behaviour that has made me feel more comfortable in responding to him appropriately. Perhaps it will do the same for you?

My son got a 36 on this test.

It says my aspie score is 158 out of 200.

Asperger's is a trendy disorder these days. Everybody has it.

My wife works with kids who have asperger's- and she says that it's massively over-diagnosed. I know three people who are textbook cases of the disorder (a friend, a co-worker, and a professor)- and lemme tell you they are WEIRD. All three of them are very intelligent when it comes to technical matters- but they're all socially inept to the point that most people are quick to notice that there's something wrong with these guys.