Goodbye Jesus

Was Jesus happy with his life?

Poonis

I have a feeling Jesus was a lot like many here. Appalled at the hipocrisy and suffering caused by adherence to mythical systems which attempt to impose morals rather than create peace. He always seems to be ragging on religious leaders...

And he must have been sad that the Jews were becoming part of Rome like everyone else was...sad enough to get some sort of movement going that the Romans considered political in nature.

Can someone tell me why noone talks about the fact that Romans don't crucify ordinary criminals? The cross is the death of a traitor, not a crazy guy. Who buys that crap about Pilate washing his hands...just another way the new testament sucks up to the Roman government with the added bonus of further villifying the jews.

And if Jesus had known that self-righteous, egotistical, frightened people the world over would be selling his philosophy for the cheap price of "asking him in their hearts", I think he would've shit on the ground (i don't think they had pants back then, or undies)

If Jesus really existed, and was a regular sort of human (aside from being the Divine Emperor of all Eternity in skin clothes), then he would have had days of happy, and days of not so happy, just like everyone else.

:)Hi Antlerman!

I can agree to a degree. Although I sense that Jesus, as portrayed, had better coping skills than most people.

Joy is different and is experientially independent of circumstances. It is an existential experience.

What do you mean? Definition of joy found here .

Happiness and joy are two different things. If Jesus really existed, and was a regular sort of human (aside from being the Divine Emperor of all Eternity in skin clothes), then he would have had days of happy, and days of not so happy, just like everyone else. Joy is different and is experientially independent of circumstances. It is an existential experience.

Yes, and completely at peace with either case.

Amanda, happiness is prone to the opposite, unhappiness. Joy is the natural state of being, such as love.

The other natural states that are not of the mind are beauty, creativity, inner peace.

Joy is different and is experientially independent of circumstances. It is an existential experience.

What do you mean? Definition of joy found here .

Hi Amanda,

As I'm sure you know, words are not static. They are always evolving. In this case, the on-line dictionaries just haven't caught up to me yet! :lmao:

"Because He did the will of God"?

Keep in mind that Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein and Hitler also thought/think they were doing the will of god. So did those who started the Crusades, and the torturers during the Inquisition, and the people who claimed their neighbors were witches in early American history.

The problem is that nobody can prove there is a god, much less that he, she, or it has a will. Humans just use god's will as an excuse to do pretty much whatever they want to. That's a very scary thing when you consider that people who think they are doing the will of god might have nuclear bombs. This is the kind of world we live in, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Christians,

Was Jesus happy with his life?

All I can say is that if there ever where such a literal person as the Jesus of the bible, I would not want him to be my next door neighbor.

Whoever invented that biblical character had a problem.