Goodbye Jesus

What is the best thing about your faith

thomas

Just like there is no actual NT. Just like there is no race of Jews. No David. No Prophets. No Israel. No Jerusalem. No actual manuscript evidence for the text we have today. All fabrication so that one day somebody named Bluesman can come by and say it's all untrue.

105829[/snapback]

Wizard of Oz must be a true story then... See here

Just like there is no actual NT. Just like there is no race of Jews. No David. No Prophets. No Israel. No Jerusalem. No actual manuscript evidence for the text we have today. All fabrication so that one day somebody named Bluesman can come by and say it's all untrue.

105829[/snapback]

You have the debating skills of a child, D. I'm not even going to bother pointing out why your logic is so ridiculous; everyone else can figure it out easily for themselves.

It also shows the vapidity of your faith - if just one thing in the bible is untrue (no David, no flood, no genesis, etc.), then the rest of it must be untrue. All or nothing!

That's the bitch of being a fundie. You have to eat the whole elephant at once, every meal. :lmao:

Cerise, I offered the historical evidence for Jesus as one area of proof. Are you saying you can discount this with a wave of Mythra's hand?

You've offered no evidence that Jesus was who you claim him to be. If you ever find such evidence (and I highly doubt that you will) then please put it forward.

Until then, the arrogence you have is unfounded.

Cerise, I offered the historical evidence for Jesus as one area of proof. Are you saying you can discount this with a wave of Mythra's hand?

I didn't see any "proof" but I'm willing to take a look.

Just like there is no actual NT.

What does a compilation of books have to do with truth? To prove jesus via this method you'll have to prove the accuracy and validity of your book. You cannot do this so it being presented as evidence is irrelevant.

Just like there is no race of Jews.

There's not. See http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

No David.

More like barely David. See http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_...20and%20Reality

Of course there's no evidence that this David is the one you think it should be and that he did any of the things you think he did. This David is very much like King Arthur (with less supporting evidence).

No Prophets.

None that can be proven. Heck...I think it was Ezekial who messed up with Tyre and totally screwed the pooch in regard to Egypt. Kind of surprising since it was god himself giving Ezekial the scoop on these two events. D'oh.

No Israel.

No Jerusalem.

Uh oh. These places really exist! You've got me here. I guess it's all true then.

Wait, no, I just checked. So, in respect to your queries, I now ask you no India? No Gangetic Plain? A quick look around the web show these exist (and existed in antiquity) therefore the story of Gautama Buddha must, in fact, be totally true and accurate in all details. Wikipedia has the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha

No actual manuscript evidence for the text we have today. All fabrication so that one day somebody named Bluesman can come by and say it's all untrue.

Well, while not in actual written hard-copy manuscript form, this very electronic text of mine is not simply being written so that someone named D. Paul can come by and same it's all untrue...but I'm confident something like this might happen.

I can't cite any examples off the top of my head (someone can probably help me out there) but history is littered with books that weren't written for someone else to come along later and say they're untrue...but it happens nonetheless. If something is untrue (or inaccurate) then it needs to be called out as such and if it can't prove itself then it should go away and let the "truth" (you know the thing you claimed you had a handle on) take its place (and if/when this new "truth" can't stand up to scrutiny then it should fall away too).

For pretty much your entire argument I'll direct you to the movie "Beavis and Butthead Do America." By your line of reasoning anything that contains any accurate information such as a real city must, by extension, contain all accurate information. So keep this logic in mind as you watch the true story of two cartoon characters doing the following: "Our intrepid adolescent heroes wake up to find their beloved television stolen, and embark on an epic journey across America to recover it" (from IMDB.com) They go to real locations like Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam, the petrified forest, the White House and I think President Clinton makes an appearance. Yep, with all that real life evidence (real cities and a real world leader) the entire story must be true...of this there can be no doubt. :Wendywhatever:

Come back when you realize that things don't have to use an either/or methodology. That the bible gets anything right does not mean it got the rest right too (conversely getting something wrong does not disprove the entire thing but as many things that the bible has gotten wrong sure makes a pretty convincing case against it since it's supposed to be "inerrant").

mwc

105470[/snapback]

What proof did you offer? There is NO historical proof of Jesus. And it a close, unbiased study of the history of the church and bible that disproved it all for me. You want a religion with any real historical backing, convert to Islam (though I don't believe it either!!)

105692[/snapback]

105829[/snapback]

Yes there is a Jerusalem, I've been there. There are also 3, thats right THREE religions that claim it as thier Holy city. Are all 3 correct? Can they be all at the same time, even though they differ on how we can approach God? So according to your "logic", because there is a Jerusalem, Then Judism, Christanity, and Islam are all true? Can't be.

There is NO, I repeat NO, NO, NO Historical evidence to support the existance of King David. And what manuscript evidence? The manuscripts we have of the NT and are from 80-160 years AFTER the fact. But you already know this. So believing in the NT is purely an act of faith. A faith you have and I no longer do.

[Cerise, I offered the historical evidence for Jesus as one area of proof. Are you saying you can discount this with a wave of Mythra's hand?

105470[/snapback]

Where did you offer this? You just offered the statement that the historical evidence points to Jesus. We called bullshit. And you stumbled.

What historical evidence? Josh McDowel's and Lee Strobel's version of evidence?

Caution: don't look too closely. You will find that the emporer is bare nekked.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the original question....

There are a few things I like about my faith. Knowing that there is more to life than this is one. Praying is another - to unload problems and not be judged, no matter what bad thoughts I have. Worship is good when I'm in the mood - it gives a nice warm feeling and energises me and I feel really good. To know that there's something bigger than me that's looking out for me and who I can lean on at any time. Also, as I am a very insecure person, knowing that I am wanted and loved unconditionally. I know there's some more, but I can't think of them for the moment.

Ps. Have mercy on me, I'm only a baby Christian :D

Where it says 'knowing' I should have said 'believe'

Thanks CT :phew:

*gets bowl ready for sacrificial blood-letting* :grin:

*gets bowl ready for sacrificial blood-letting* :grin:

<<<tosses CT a handful of leeches>>>