Goodbye Jesus

Criminals Can Choose Between Jail And Church

SillyString

H

Church is fine with me. I can play on my phone the entire time. Fuck jail, man. Ya'll are crazy.

Middle way, bros. Middle way.

Agreed, my girlfriend is a psychologist at the local prison...you don't want to go there. Church is gravy compared to that. I'd rather sing homoerotic songs to Jeebus over having my throat slit with a razor blade, which happens.

For some reason that makes getting busted even more scarier.

No! It makes it less scary. Because now you only have to go to church.

I don't know how this figures in the legal sense but besides the myriad ways it violates the 1st Amendment, it's an invasion of privacy. A community like that is likely to shame you for choosing jail over church and then think what else that might lead to.

According to the main article (the one linked to in the shorter article):

Rowland said he was doubtful, however, that an atheist would choose to participate in the ROC program, but would be able to choose community service or other options.

So it's not about church or jail. That doesn't make the church option anymore right but it does mean that community service, and other options, are available. They weren't mentioned in the shorter summary for some reason (probably to evoke response).

mwc

I don't know how this figures in the legal sense but besides the myriad ways it violates the 1st Amendment, it's an invasion of privacy. A community like that is likely to shame you for choosing jail over church and then think what else that might lead to.

You could commit crimes knowing that the only punishment is church. It wouldn't lower crime, it would increase it.

And you'd have criminals that are also fundamentalists. Scary.

And you'd have criminals that are also fundamentalists. Scary.

Basically a redundant statement.

I'd would choose church. I am moderatly closterphobic and can not stand to be in a confined area for very long before the walls start closing in. I would have real issues in a jail cell.